Michigan
Texas Tech
Virginia Tech
Western Kentucky

[I did find this interesting snippet in a UAA release ... ]

UAA AGAINST THE FIELD
All-Time vs. Butler, VT, WKU, Gonzaga: First meeting
All-Time vs. Texas Tech: UAA leads 1-0
Last Meeting: UAA 70, Texas Tech 58 (1990 Shootout 1st round)
All-Time vs. Eastern Washington: UAA leads 3-1
Last Meeting: UAA 81, EWU 66 (2/26/83 at UAA)
Notes: UAA and EWU played four times in 1981-82 and 1982-83 when both were NCAA Div. II schools.
All-Time vs. Michigan: Tied 1-1
Last Meeting: UAA 70, Michigan 66 (12/28/88 at Salt Lake City)
Notes: UAA's first-round win over U-M in the 1988 Utah Seiko Classic first round is widely considered the biggest upset in school history. The Wolverines were ranked No. 2 at the time and went on to win the national title that year. U-M scored a blowout in the teams' first meeting, 102-55, Dec. 30, 1986 at the UAB Classic.

lawzag
11-20-2007, 11:47 AM
what can I say ?
gotta vote for the home team!

Reborn
11-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Great poll. I wonder who I voted for?:D

former1dog
11-20-2007, 01:50 PM

You forgot already. Jeez, you're older than I thought you were.

:D :jk: :D

Akzag
11-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Who knew that we had a Red Raider lurker ...

lothar98zag
11-20-2007, 04:02 PM
fwiw:

Butler, Eastern Washington, Michigan, & Virginia Tech all get a day off after between game 1 & game 2

The other 4 teams (Alaska-Anchorage, Gonzaga, Texas Tech, & Western Kentucky) will play 3 games in less than 50 hours.

Akzag
11-20-2007, 04:17 PM
also fwiw ... UAA has boat-raced their opponents so far, losing only @ Pacific. Nationally ranked D. II ... Zag fans should root for a Texas Tech victory. But it will not be "shocking" if the Seawolves pull off the "upset" in round 1.

I'll be sitting in a UAA booster section, so it's going to be tough.

lothar98zag
11-20-2007, 04:23 PM
also fwiw ... UAA has boat-raced their opponents so far, losing only @ Pacific. Nationally ranked D. II ... Zag fans should root for a Texas Tech victory. But it will not be "shocking" if the Seawolves pull off the "upset" in round 1.

I'll be sitting in a UAA booster section, so it's going to be tough.
I really don't want GU to only get 2 D-1 games out of their trip north, but if they have to meet UAA in the winnners bracket...so be it...

saintzag
11-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Put this same poll on the Butler board.The results would be opposite.

Bocco
11-20-2007, 04:42 PM

You forgot already. Jeez, you're older than I thought you were.

jeez F1D go easy on him he just turned 60.:D

kitzbuel
11-20-2007, 04:46 PM
What, I'm the only one that picked UAA to take it all?!

What's up with that? :)

BobZag
11-20-2007, 05:35 PM
I voted Western KY. Why, you ask? They are a veteran team and it's very early in the season. They have a headstart on GU. GU is a youthful team still trying to gel, and will be for awhile longer. WKU has a bonafide go-to guy who knows how to deliver, and if GU's defense concentrates too much on Lee, Brazelton is more than capable of stepping up big. Objectively, I'm choosing WKU. If I'm being subjective, I'll take Gonzaga, of course. Another little item Zag fans have not noticed: WKU's coach has been extremely happy with his team's performances this early; it is rare for any coach to praise his team this early unless the team is truly playing great.

TheBunnieRancher
11-20-2007, 07:06 PM
WKU has me really nervous as a draw. GU and Butler would be the trendy picks. But I expect surprises out of this tourney and WKU looks like the likely choice this year.:starwars:

JAGzag
11-20-2007, 07:11 PM
The poll on a GU website is who will win a tourney in which GU is playing? And GU's garnished 75% of the votes!! I'll be damned! :1bestever:

lothar98zag
11-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Another little item Zag fans have not noticed: WKU's coach has been extremely happy with his team's performances this early; it is rare for any coach to praise his team this early unless the team is truly playing great.
Hasn't Few done this too? (something he doesn't normally do)

Butler Guy
11-21-2007, 09:39 AM
WKU has me really nervous as a draw. GU and Butler would be the trendy picks. But I expect surprises out of this tourney and WKU looks like the likely choice this year.:starwars:

I wouldn't pick on that side of the bracket. As an earlier poster said the Butler-side of the bracket gets an off day to rest. If any of you saw the play in the final for the tournament in Puerto Rico, those team were awfully sloppy by the time the final between Miami and Providence were played. (they didn't get off days)

I really can't imagine either of these teams staying close to Butler, but if you are looking for a sleeper Michigan and Va Tech have schedules that make them a smart play.

PS. I didn't vote in this poll, and was rather surprised to see Butler garner so many votes on this page.