• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagsGoZags
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Coach Few ranked 5th in Nation -

We always talk about the skill of our players.
    For all the criticisms some of my friends constantly make about Few, I can only say, I think he is a crucial component to Zag success, and not just in recruiting
    We ranked 8th in cleanliness - what if JH and TD had not done what they did -- then I imagine we would be higher.

I am so glad Coach Few is the skipper.

• TheZagPhish
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    We ranked 8th in cleanliness - what if JH and TD had not done what they did -- then I imagine we would be higher.
    Is this punny? Irony? j/k But just imagine if Pendo washed his socks more - we'd be WAY higher on the cleanliness quotient!
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• Zagme-totheleft!
      Kennel Club Material
      • Nov 2007

we'd be lost without Few.
      "SLAINTE"

Comment

• gamagin
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

it's even in the bible

<< we'd be lost without Few >>

"many were called, but Few were chosen . . "
        Last edited by gamagin; 11-20-2007, 11:46 AM.
        Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
        Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
        Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• zagzealot
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

From the Seattle Times Article:
          Basketball Times recently reported that Gonzaga is tied with Michigan State for fifth-best college basketball program in the country, after Duke, North Carolina, Florida and Stanford.

The magazine, which ranks the top programs on a variety of criteria every five years, also found that Gonzaga was third in winning percentage (.792) after Duke (.851) and Kansas (.793) over that period. The Zags have sent four players to the NBA, tied with Illinois for 15th.

They were 20th in freshman graduation rate at 33 percent; eighth in "program cleanliness," and Mark Few is regarded as the fifth-best coach in the nation, after Mike Krzyzewski of Duke, Roy Williams of North Carolina, Billy Donovan of Florida and Tom Izzo of Michigan State, the magazine said.

Compare the above to a Letter that appeared in Sunday's Spokesman Review Sports Section

Zags set bad example

I am a long-time resident of Spokane, and a longtime fan of basketball. And I'm sorry, but I just cannot support the Zags anymore. I don't think they are a good representative of this fine city, nor of an excellent school.

It is too bad the coach of the team and/or the administration of the school won't take a harder stand on the quality of young men they are choosing to represent the excellent private university.

I would cheer harder for the Zags if the leaders of the team and the school could set some standards, academically and otherwise, for the young men playing basketball with GU jerseys on. And lead by example.

The integrity of the school, and the rest of the student body, is being compromised.

I would rather watch the NBA.

Edward Hawthorne

Spokane

Edward would rather watch the NBA because it has integrity and standards? Wow, give me some of the juice he's drinkin'.
          Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. -- Dave Barry
          f∞

Comment

• J-Lo
            Kennel Club Material
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zagzealot View Post

Zags set bad example

I am a long-time resident of Spokane, and a longtime fan of basketball. And I'm sorry, but I just cannot support the Zags anymore. I don't think they are a good representative of this fine city, nor of an excellent school.

It is too bad the coach of the team and/or the administration of the school won't take a harder stand on the quality of young men they are choosing to represent the excellent private university.

I would cheer harder for the Zags if the leaders of the team and the school could set some standards, academically and otherwise, for the young men playing basketball with GU jerseys on. And lead by example.

The integrity of the school, and the rest of the student body, is being compromised.

Edward Hawthorne

Spokane

Edward would rather watch the NBA because it has integrity and standards? Wow, give me some of the juice he's drinkin'.

The guy makes pretty serious claims as to the reputation (academically and otherwise) of the team without a single example? I don't get it. Did this article follow something else that looked disparagingly at the team? Or was it truly what we see here- a standalone attack without provocation?

Don't get me wrong, I don't pretend we're completely squeaky. Not by a long shot. But if you're going to sling mud, you should at least have some mud.

Comment

• SammamiZag
              Kennel Club Material
              • Feb 2007

Zags set bad example

Edward Hawthorne

Spokane
              This Edward character has obviously NEVER been to a game in the Kennel.
              forumdisplay.php?f=8
              T3h F00!!!1

Comment

• TheZagPhish
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Or...
                Hawthorne leaves bad taste in mouth

I am a long-time resident of Spokane, and a longtime fan of basketball. And I'm sorry, but I just cannot accept the pointless bagging on one of the most reputable basketball coaches in the country - particularly by Edward Hawthorne. I don't believe his perspective is representative of this fine city, nor respectful of an excellent school.

It is too bad pseudo fans won't take a more gracious and less judgmental stand on the quality young men & women choosing to represent their world class private university.

I would cheer harder for the fans in general if their ranks contained more broad minds with thoughtful and balanced standards, for academics and otherwise, and for the young men and women playing basketball with GU jerseys on. And lead by example.

The integrity of the school, and the rest of the student body, deserves as much.

I'll be watching the Zags.

TheZagPhish

Spokane
                Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• OregonZag5
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Feb 2007

He will be watching the NBA- They are fine examples of citizens ??? Did I miss something here or did he have something in his morning coffee ?

Comment

• zagzealot
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Very nice, ZagPhish!
                    Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. -- Dave Barry
                    f∞

Comment

• gamagin
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

gotta wonder about

the standards for an S-R letter, given Mr. Ed just shat a mighty shat into Gu's hat and then just left it at that.
                      Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                      Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                      Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• Reborn
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2007

Few's THE MAN. There would be none of this without him. My hope is someday Mark will end up #1, and I hope he spends all his years with the Zags. We've had wonderful years....years that probably never ever dreamed about. I never did. This is way beyond my wildest imagination. The Zags have added a lot to my later years.

Thanks Coach Few and staff.
                        Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Zagme-totheleft!
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by OregonZag5 View Post
                          They are fine examples of citizens ???
                          haha, ya and their representative is Ron Artest (sorry Ron, I am a Kings fine, but seriously?)
                          "SLAINTE"

Comment

• Zag365
                            Zag for Life
                            • Apr 2007

Coach Few and GU program

The letter to S-R is meaningless -- not one factual reference, just conclusory claims that are demonstrably false.

To go back to the top of the thread, I think it is terrific that Coach Few and the GU program are publicly recognized for what we all know -- good character. This is our real source of pride; this is the essence of our Zagness; this is why the rest of the country respects us. Winning has brought us pride/recognition, but, more importantly, it has not diminished our character and Coach Few has seen to it that it hasn't.

Rather than forfeit our good name, I'll take things like the end of the K-2 home court streak, possibly missing the tournament, etc. Coach Few demonstrated he has the same self-respect. He is a hero beyond measure.

Comment

• MickMick
                              Zag for Life
                              • Apr 2007

I would take Mark Few over any coach in the country.....honestly.
                              I miss Mike Hart

Comment

Working...
                              X