http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/111907aap.html

Brackets:

http://ncaasports.com/volleyball/womens/story/10483870

RenoZag
11-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Congrats !!

former1dog
11-19-2007, 04:17 PM
A very big deal. Congratulations to Men's soccer!

Anyone in the know as to how many trips we've taken to the post season in Men's soccer?

lothar98zag
11-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Congrats! :clap:

(an at-large bid out of the WCC, while more common in soccer than in basketball, is still a very big deal)

kitzbuel
11-19-2007, 05:17 PM
:clap:

Very cool!

I wonder of Brian Ching is going to wander over to catch the game?

Zag 77
11-19-2007, 05:39 PM
:D
The Zags had to figure their 2OT loss to Santa Clara ended their season, since they finished 4th in the WCC, and 9-6-4 overall. However, Einar Thorarinsen's boys get their 2nd ever trip (1st was in 2001) probably because they had some quality wins over teams like UW.

This is a very big deal. The WCC sends 3 teams:#1 Santa Clara, #3 Portland and #4 GU. Apparently USD, despite finishing 2nd must have had a weak overall schedule, and I suppose they are probably ticked off.

Any chance of TV on this one?

kyle dixon
11-19-2007, 05:53 PM
I think the selection committee weighed very heavy on the Zags knocking off UW and UC Santa Barbara (at the time #1 in the nation) as wins that pushed the GU in to the tourney. I am so happy for the seniors as they had a ton of them that played this year and thought their last game was on Friday (defeat to SCU). Go Zags beat SMU!

pbriz
11-19-2007, 06:12 PM
awesome news. congrats!

Bing
11-19-2007, 06:30 PM
It's not a shock that there's a thread on a want-to-be rival's forum displaying their usual blatant medieval envy. They think that GU is going to embarrass the WCC with a one and done. Sour grapes from sour folks.

ZagNut08
11-19-2007, 07:20 PM
congrats, the mens team had some big wins this year. they lost some of the ones they should have won, but I am glad they got the bid...many thought a tie vs santa clara wouldnt have been good enough

Zag 77
11-19-2007, 08:24 PM
If, and I mean a big, if, we can get by, we have fellow Jesuits Creighton and BC looming ahead. GU, UP and Santa Clara are all in different brackets.

lothar98zag
11-20-2007, 04:36 PM
I enjoyed this article:

NCAA Announcement Met With Excitement
Bulldogs men's soccer team ecstatic as word reaches players
http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/111907aar.html

"I had the Selection Show on but was listening more than watching. I heard them say Gonzaga and I was trying to figure out who they were talking about that was in the tournament that we had played. I looked up and saw it (the bracket) and realized we were in," said the 13-year Gonzaga head coach.

"Einar poked his head in my office and said we were off to SMU," athletic director Mike Roth said. "He had a little grin on his face."

Senior forward George Josten almost wasn't around for Monday's hastily called practice.

"It's pure excitement. I almost drove home today for Thanksgiving. It's a good thing I didn't," Josten said. "I was in class. I had talked to (assistant coach Mike) Thompson. He called me three times while I was in class. I left class and called him. It was the longest 15 minutes of class I've ever been through in my life. We got a little lucky (in being selected) because we know we should have sealed this thing up a long time ago."

For senior defender Daniel Scott the news was even more special. Scott had to sit on the sidelines last Friday for Senior Day as a result of a red card picked up in the previous match.

"I'm at a loss for words. (John) Reha called and he was basically, "Like dude, you'll never guess what just happened." It was shear joy and a lot of screaming. I can't say enough about what it means. Last Friday was an emotional day. I didn't think we had a shot after losing. To be able to play again is a blessing," the native of Maui, Hawai'i said.

Fellow Hawaiian Vito Higgins, a senior keeper who played every minute in goal this season, was also thrilled.

"I got a text message from (assistant coach Mike) Thompson. I started sweating a lot. There's a lot of amazement. It means we have another chance to show the alums we're here for business. And I have (fellow Hawaiians and former Bulldog keepers) Josh Fouts and Mike McCarthy always on me. It's great to have a chance to represent all of Gonzaga," said the product of Kailua, Hawai'i.

Austin Washington, a senior defender from Spokane's Ferris High who transferred to Gonzaga from cross-town Whitworth College following his freshman season, was one of the last to find out.

"I found out just before practice," Washington said. "It's an amazing feeling. I couldn't be more happy."

Sophomore defender Tim Muravez, one of the young leaders on the team, echoed his temmates. "Speechless," said the Corvallis, Ore., native when asked of his reaction upon hearing the news. "A friend called while I was in my room doing homework. I printed out my assignment and headed for practice. It's great. The older guys have taught us so much. I'm glad for them we got it."...

more at the above link