PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on Rob Sacre

Reborn
11-19-2007, 01:14 PM
I haven't read an awful lot about Rob Sacre so far so I thought I would start a thread asking for some of your thoughts and projections.

I've been really impressed with Rob. He is REALLY quick for a BIG (5). He is not a big shot blocker (maybe like Kuso), but he does get his too. However, I feel he's a much better one on one defender then Kuso, and is able to help much better. I love his footwork on defense. I think he's pretty darn good for a Freshman.

I loved that jump hook against UCR, and his ability to catch the ball down low and score. I also noticed that he can play the 4 as well and was making that overhead pass to Kuso posting down low pretty darn well. He is going to add so much to this team, especially since Josh won't be playing for awhile.

former1dog
11-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Has shown great progress from game 1 to game 3.

I like his FG% in game 3. :D

TRhyno
11-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Sacre will be one of the many positives while Josh is hurt!

MDABE80
11-19-2007, 02:58 PM
One of the most coordinated big man we've seen in awhile. Amazing footwork. If you see reruns of our games, he gets out and harasses the guards and keeps up with em. He is a vicious shotblocker too. My guess is that Few found a bonafide NBA'er in the making. It's just so rare to see his size and coordination in a kid so young. Before it's over, he'll be a legend here. Book it!

CDC84
11-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Sacre is a work in progress offensively. I think by the time he gets a couple of years in the system, as well as 2 years of skill work under GU's staff, he will be one of the best 5 men in the country. Or he might make that jump next season...who knows. Everything is skill related with him....he has all the physical tools you could ever want in a 5 man.

Baldwinzag
11-19-2007, 03:07 PM
One of the most coordinated big man we've seen in awhile. Amazing footwork. If you see reruns of our games, he gets out and harasses the guards and keeps up with em. He is a vicious shotblocker too. My guess is that Few found a bonafide NBA'er in the making. It's just so rare to see his size and coordination in a kid so young. Before it's over, he'll be a legend here. Book it!

Agreed. Over the course of the season, I have a feeling our most improved/surprise player on this team will be Rob "Big Sugar" Sacre. By Tourney time, he'll be seeing major minutes as our only true centre. As Abe would say, Book it!...:p

zag67
11-19-2007, 03:13 PM
I also think that Robert has made great progress in the three games that he has been in. The injury to Josh (as much as it hurts now) might end up being something that we all talk about later on. This will give Robert many more minutes to improve in his skills.

On D, he works hard and I really have to admit that watching him guard someone out on the 3 point line is fun. He is working hard on his footwork and his arms are so long that he causes caos out there. He also shows some great boxout skills. Most bigs that come in that have not have had to work hard on getting rebounds do not have very good boxout skills, but I have watched him many times where he is getting very good position.

On offense, he needs work, but that is where I think the reps are really going to show. As he plays more and gets to understand how to work the flex offense, he will show us even more. Right now, he is "thinking" first and then reacting, but as he understands the motion, there will be more reacting.

MDABE80
11-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Robert will come along quickly. He is so coachable and loves to learn. If Josh gets back by January and gets in shape, look for those 2 guys to balance each other and make some serious noise in the low blocks. Just more raw talent than we're used to seeing. Among other factors, these 2 kids are why I'm so enthused for the Jan/Feb part of this season. It's hard to imagine those 2 guys working together next season. Presntly there is no bigmen duo in the college ranks like these 2 kids. Nowhere I can see anyway. Maybe BZ/CDC or some other smartyman can think of some. I can't.

OZZag
11-19-2007, 04:34 PM
It is great to hear such positive words for Rob, I was worried that although he was considered the top player in Canada last year, that compared to his fellow freshmen, he would not be able to play at the same level (examples Jevohn Shephard, Willie Gallick). What you guys are telling me here is that he has the basics already down pat and is showing an ability to pick up the system quickly.

The only other concern that I had was consistency, obviously we will see how this works out over the next 10 games or so. Can't wait to see how he plays at GAS!

Go Rob!

sittingon50
11-19-2007, 05:46 PM
He's large.

LynetteG
11-19-2007, 05:48 PM
He's large.

and HOT... er, and strong...yeah, that's what I meant to say.... :D

Reborn
11-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Here's a very interesting linelup....Josh, Sacre, Daye, Downs and Pargo or Bouldin at the point. That is one shot blocking team.

Or Josh, kuso, Downs, Sacre, and Daye at the point. Sacre does defend the wing pretty well. Sure, point guard could drive the middle against Daye, but look what they would be running into down low: Josh, Kuso. So they kick back out to the 3 pt shooters on the wings: You've got Downs, Sacre and Daye defending te 3 pt shooters.

Could we score? That would be the interesting part.

pbriz
11-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Robert will come along quickly. He is so coachable and loves to learn. If Josh gets back by January and gets in shape, look for those 2 guys to balance each other and make some serious noise in the low blocks. Just more raw talent than we're used to seeing. Among other factors, these 2 kids are why I'm so enthused for the Jan/Feb part of this season. It's hard to imagine those 2 guys working together next season. Presntly there is no bigmen duo in the college ranks like these 2 kids. Nowhere I can see anyway. Maybe BZ/CDC or some other smartyman can think of some. I can't.

Hansbrough/Thompson of UNC

(but we should have had Thompson so maybe that doesnt count :) )

tyra
11-19-2007, 07:07 PM
A bona fide back-to-the-basket big man is a difference maker. Rob will play a key role in taking us to glorious heights :)

MDABE80
11-19-2007, 07:13 PM
pbriz you are now the designated smartyman!!!

tyra
11-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Dozier and Dorsey at memphis? they looked pretty fierce at times to me.

ZagsGoZags
11-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Before Daye took over my imagination in the last week or so, Sacre was the new recruit I anticipated most for over a month. It cannot be stated how crucial a great big man is a pro team that wants a championship, and it is usually the case in the Final Four. I waited for Dave Burgess's elibibility last Autumn, and found out he was not athletic enough to help us in the Spring after Josh was gone.
At the scrimmage Sacre blew my mind with how well he moved.

My favorite thing about him is his attitude. He has obvious physical and athletic skill. He is intense, wants to be a team player. He just doesn't seem to have the type of ego that will hinder his development. His potential is almost too good to be true, in my opinion.

GonzagaGurl08
11-19-2007, 08:25 PM
and HOT... er, and strong...yeah, that's what I meant to say.... :D

HOT is right... and strong. Rob is very skilled for a big man. He can run the floor well, and has great athleticism. He has some amazing talent.

Here's a picture of Rob from the last game, calling for the ball. This led to a dunk.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/MeghanBarrett/GU%20vs%20UC%20Riverside/P1000451.jpg