PDA

View Full Version : WKU Predictions

zagfan07
11-19-2007, 10:26 AM
I know its 3 days away, but I'm too excited to wait for the Zags to play some decent competition. Predictions and thoughts for the WKU game?

I think the Zags new found defensive pressure will force WKU into a bunch of turnovers. The hilltoppers hang around for the first 25 min before GU's depth takes over and the Bulldogs stretch the lead to double digits. Zags by 12: 78-66 and Micah finds his stroke from 3.

Rubbadub
11-19-2007, 10:32 AM
WKU wins 1 vote 25.00%

Looks like Bob's already voted. :)

ZagsGoZags
11-19-2007, 10:40 AM
I predict they will be ready for our defense, and for awhile score points, but if we keep it up through the second half, it will be a major part of why we win by 10-15 points.

dim4sum
11-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Gonzaga 76, West Virginia 58

dim4sum
11-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Ignore the above prophecy. Gonzaga 76, Western Kentucky 58

lawzag
11-19-2007, 10:55 AM
WOW - 3 people have voted for WKY to win....

I say GU by 10 -- GU 74, WKY 64

Rubbadub
11-19-2007, 10:57 AM
WOW - 3 people have voted for WKY to win....

I say GU by 10 -- GU 74, WKY 64

There have been two or three WKU posters lurking around the last few days...honestly I'm expecting the Zags by at least 10 and probably 5 or 10 more beyond that.

LongIslandZagFan
11-19-2007, 11:01 AM
If the boys play like they did against UCR... WKU in a rout. 78-66 WKU.

brasszag
11-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Since this is the Zags first real test I put them down to win by 6 optimistically.

I predict that it'll squeak out on free throws at the end since we won't be threatened with fouling out our big guys - even though we won't really be in control most of the way and by the end our guys will be a little fresher and less foul-prone as well.

rennis
11-19-2007, 12:06 PM
These kind of games scare me. Early season, unproven, lots of talent, but still lots of people learning how to play the system and how to play with each other.

My prediction is either we win by 10+ or lose by 4 or 5. I have a bad feeling we aren't going to be very good at close-game situations just yet. If we let any team hang around until the end of the game we could be vulnerable. Poor FT shooting and youth could be a killer in the crunch.

I don't see it happening in this game, or maybe against any of these opponents, but what I really want to know is how the team handles itself if we get down early. Our 3 point shooting does not appear likely to be getting us back into games at this point.

Butler Guy
11-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Thursday: Western Kentucky over No. 14 Gonzaga

The Hilltoppers, the preseason favorite in the Sun Belt, take on Gonzaga in the Great Alaska Shootout with senior scoring-machine guard Courtney Lee, who has demonstrated he can take over games. Lee will match up against high-energy Gonzaga guard Jeremy Pargo. The Zags are loaded with 6-10 freshman combo forward Austin Daye, sophomore guard Matt Bouldin and forward Larry Gurganious accounting for the majority of the scoring until big man Josh Heytvelt returns from foot injury. Western Kentucky is a solid defensive team and will play with toughness. Senior point guard Tyrone Brazelton will get Lee touches and can call his own number when needed. With good guard play and solid defense, the Toppers have a chance.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?page=notebook/weeklywatch02)

rennis
11-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?page=notebook/weeklywatch02)

re-post. :p

And they aren't calling for it. They threw-out like 8 potential upsets. One of them also being MT over WSU. There is a greater chance we lose to WKU by 40 than MT beats WSU.

meaning, the whole thing is hogwash.

LAZAGFAN11
11-19-2007, 12:20 PM
If the boys play like they did against UCR... WKU in a rout. 78-66 WKU.

Totally agree. Zags need to step it up a notch in order to win on Thursday.

Pargo assist turnover ratio = .7 ?????

former1dog
11-19-2007, 12:28 PM
My prediction:

GU plays good defense, but WKU plays inspired and is hot from 3. So although they only get off 12 3 point shots on us, they make 8 of them.

Our pressure, though, gives us several easy scoring opportunities and we keep a slim lead throughout the game extending it to 7 with 2 minutes to go.

A 3 by the Hilltoppers at around the 1 min mark cuts it to 4 points at which point WKU is forced to foul to get possession back. We put the ball in Austin's hands and he cooly sinks 6 FT's in the final minute to give us a comfortable 8 point win.

A relatively and surprisingly low scoring game of 70-62.

pbriz
11-19-2007, 12:43 PM
My prediction:

GU plays good defense, but WKU plays inspired and is hot from 3. So although they only get off 12 3 point shots on us, they make 8 of them.

Our pressure, though, gives us several easy scoring opportunities and we keep a slim lead throughout the game extending it to 7 with 2 minutes to go.

A 3 by the Hilltoppers at around the 1 min mark cuts it to 4 points at which point WKU is forced to foul to get possession back. We put the ball in Austin's hands and he cooly sinks 6 FT's in the final minute to give us a comfortable 8 point win.

couldnt agree more with a prediction.

D Hark 2003
11-19-2007, 01:20 PM
I know nothing about WKU other than they are called the hilltoppers, but i know they will fall at the hands of the Bulldogs by 9 points.

TRhyno
11-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Watch out for Courtney Lee from WKU! He is a 6'5 Senior SG. He has very a good stat line so far this year. Stopping this young man will be key for a victory for us. He has drawn a lot of attention from Pro Scouts and has been compared to Brandon Roy in his offensive skill set.

PPG 24.3 | APG .7 | RPG 4.0

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Courtney-Lee-471/

UberZagFan
11-19-2007, 01:43 PM
My prediction:

That is EXACTLY what Uber is predicting. Wow. GFMTA.

former1dog
11-19-2007, 02:10 PM
That is EXACTLY what Uber is predicting. Wow. GFMTA.

:D

sofa king
11-19-2007, 02:38 PM
82-65. I think Pargo is due for a big time game, and the D is real.

GoZags
11-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Zags are doomed.

bigjeep
11-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Courtney is dealing with a jamed thumb so he`s going to be useing his left shooting hand and not his right...so instead of Tops by 76-69...I`ll have to say Tops 71- Zags 69...maybe 71-70...

Can`t wait guys! Good luck...

former1dog
11-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Courtney is dealing with a jamed thumb so he`s going to be useing his left shooting hand and not his right...so instead of Tops by 76-69...I`ll have to say Tops 71- Zags 69...maybe 71-70...

Can`t wait guys! Good luck...

As my old coach said to us years ago and I'll use in reference to you visiting Hilltoppers, You ####ers are alright! :D

Once the game starts, though... Booooooooo Hilltoppers, Yaaaaaay Zags!

MickMick
11-19-2007, 04:24 PM
WKU will play up tempo. Look for a relatively high scoring game (mid 70s to high 80s) with lots of turnovers from both sides. Zags depth wears them down and they stretch the final score to a ten point differential. The score will not be indicative of how close the battle was. Austin Daye scores more than 20 in this one.

azzagfan
11-19-2007, 05:25 PM
I think it's close. Larry G. will be huge in needing to stop Lee, so his stat line will be something like 2 pts, 7 rebs, 3 stls and not an ounce of energy left in the tank. The Zags lead by 4 with 2 minutes left, but WKU will need to foul down the stretch and the difference is 11. I can't wait for good games, 40 point games don't do much for me unless the opponent is from a BCS Conference.

WKU Slam Dunk
11-19-2007, 05:41 PM
WKU will play up tempo. Look for a relatively high scoring game (mid 70s to high 80s) with lots of turnovers from both sides. Zags depth wears them down and they stretch the final score to a ten point differential. The score will not be indicative of how close the battle was. Austin Daye scores more than 20 in this one.

You might win... you might eat us alive on the inside or outrebound us. But one thing you will NOT do is wear us out.

wkuhilltopperfan
11-19-2007, 07:40 PM
You might win... you might eat us alive on the inside or outrebound us. But one thing you will NOT do is wear us out.

I agree with Slam Dunk here! With also have good depth and play a solid 10 man rotation. We are known for our franatic pace games were we are the ones that wear down the other team . This will not happen against the Zags (wearing down that is) but it also will not happen with us. I have not seen our team be tierd yet this year, but I firgure Thursday both teams will be draging the floor at game end.

Good luck Zags ( just not against us):D

wkuhilltopperfan
11-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Forgot my scores

Tops we be tired from a 2000 mile trip but will mustard up the strength needed to pull one off.

Tops 83
Zags 76

Instint classic and the start of a yearly home and home.

Go Tops!

ZagsGoZags
11-19-2007, 08:03 PM
LIZ and ESPN have me worried a little,
but something tells me they are more likely to be surprised than we (who cautiously predict a zag win) are.
I can't wait to see the game.

WKU Slam Dunk
11-20-2007, 02:51 PM
LIZ and ESPN have me worried a little,
but something tells me they are more likely to be surprised than we (who cautiously predict a zag win) are.
I can't wait to see the game.

How could Gonzaga possibly surprise us (our team or our fans)??? I mean, come on! You're GON-freak'in-ZAGA! You all are ranked 14th or some such thing, and you've won more tourney games in the last ten years than we have been in.

But here is the thing. You have what we want and our boys are going to try to take it from you. :D

BobZag
11-20-2007, 03:22 PM
How come there's no "More Cowbell" to select?

rennis
11-20-2007, 03:25 PM
How come there's no "More Cowbell" to select?

more cowbell would likely benefit WKU, being country-folk and all...

WKU Slam Dunk
11-20-2007, 04:07 PM
more cowbell would likely benefit WKU, being country-folk and all...

I take exception to that... in high school I was voted least likely to touch a cow udder.

lothar98zag
11-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Forgot my scores

Tops we be tired from a 2000 mile trip but will mustard up the strength needed to pull one off.

Tops 83
Zags 76

Instint classic and the start of a yearly home and home.

Go Tops!
I hope WKU only travels 2,000 miles. That would make the game a lot easier for GU.

wkuhilltopperfan
11-20-2007, 07:06 PM
I hope WKU only travels 2,000 miles. That would make the game a lot easier for GU.

I just know its a long way away :D

lothar98zag
11-21-2007, 09:28 AM
I just know its a long way away :D
Hopefully WKU travels coach and has to make 5 connections to get there.

Also, I hope the start time of 10:30pm (WKU time) is a problem for them...

jim77
11-21-2007, 11:58 AM
This is gonna be an interesting game.

The one thing that WKU does is keep it uptempo. Few teams have run GU into the ground and WKU won't do it either....we have too much depth and to many athletes. However, WKU is very good at what they do so I think it will be a close game until their fouls catch up to them. I think Mr. Lee will get his points despite our "d"......we will need Larry guarding him to keep him from going totally off. I also hope our freethrows are on as they will be the difference......Zags 74 WKU 67

JLGutrocks
11-21-2007, 12:44 PM
My prediction:

This seems to be what all the level-headed Zag fans in the know are thinking. ;)

Same here except Micah is the hero in my version. He's set to explode with his most complete game this season.

TheZagPhish
11-21-2007, 12:52 PM
He's set to explode with his most complete game this season.

I'm leaning the same way with Micah. At the end of the last game he looked like he was finding the pocket.