PDA

View Full Version : Anchorage Daily News Article on GAS TV Covergee

Angelo Roncalli
11-19-2007, 08:37 AM
A good piece on the behind the scenes dealings of ESPN and the games it shows.

http://www.adn.com/sports/shootout/shootout_2007/story/9465395p-9376685c.html

Butler Guy
11-19-2007, 08:58 AM
that director has just about the same opinion of ESPN that I do....

lawzag
11-19-2007, 10:00 AM
According to the article, ESPN just cut their broadcast of the shootout games on ESPN2 in 1/2.

I haven't gone to the ESPN website to check yet, but according to the Bracket that the Achorage Daily News has on their website. THe ONLY Gonzaga game to be televised is the first game with WKY o ESPNU all the other games they play (including the FINAL) are either NOT televised or on ESPN360!

I'm on my way to ESPN now to double check!

lawzag
11-19-2007, 10:08 AM
follow-up:
just checked espn.com - prior thread that talked about multiple games on ESPN2 was incorrect. Only possible GU (Alaska) games on ANY ESPN network:

GU vs WKY
Championship game ESPN2 9:30 ET

otherwise it ESPN360 or the Radio folks!

cair3
11-19-2007, 10:17 AM
how do you watch on espn 360 would a sports bar have it or is it on the web?

harryzag
11-19-2007, 10:22 AM
i think it is web only.

Rubbadub
11-19-2007, 10:26 AM
how do you watch on espn 360 would a sports bar have it or is it on the web?

espn360, like ESPNU is a product that ESPN is trying to push onto the market by hoarding games they know people want to see and making cable/internet providers pay up to get it. 360 is a streaming online video service currently offered by a select few isp's you've in all likelihood never heard of (besides maybe Verizon).

Akzag
11-19-2007, 10:54 AM
A quote from the lead-in to the Knight (http://www.adn.com/sports/shootout/shootout_2007/story/9465394p-9376652c.html) Q & A.

When people ask who's coming this year, the first four words are usually -- Bobby Knight and Gonzaga.

jim77
11-19-2007, 11:19 AM
This just doesnt make any sense.

Gonzaga itself has a HUGE television audience. If ESPN doesn't want to put the games on prime time(to avoid competiton with other tournaments) at least offer a pay-per-view of the GAS. Why buy the rights to something you don't want to show??? UAA could have done better financially, selling the rights to HBO or something. Comcast should buy the rights from ESPN and offer it for 20 bucks or so for ALL games...they'd make a killing.

HillBillyZag
11-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Just follow the dollars. ESPN looks at Gonzaga and similar Schools as interesting.but they save their real luv for the Big East, ACC, SEC, Big Ten,PAC10.etc.. Gonzaga and the so called Mid-Majors actually reperesent a threat to their scheduling as these upstarts keep knocking off the likes of "BIG STATE UNIVERSITY" and costing them viewers in "BIG MEDIA CENTERS." Broadcasting is just like any other business, While ESPN may claim to stroking the sports fan, the bottom line is what its all about. And there are more bucks to be made in NYC and LA then in Spokane and Indy.

BoltZag
11-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Lou Canellis and Hubert Davis will call the games from Anchorage. Davis is horrible. Glad he no longer handles the WCC Big Monday game.

MDABE80
11-19-2007, 01:07 PM
This isn't good news. There was a time when GU went hat in hand for even a mention on a sports page. I'm betting our AD didn't know this was going to be the arrangement. I bet he's mad as hell. GU is a huge draw. Michigan, Butler, Tx Tech too!.
Something tells me ESPN said it would broadcast the whole tournament. They just didn't say "how". I don't think I'd go back to the GAS with this type of shoddy treatment. GU could chose pretty much any tournament it wanted. Part of the deal when going to an "out of the way" place is to be shown on national cable. This just doesn't sound right........even though technically it's a national displayed bunch of games. I bet the other teams feel the same way.
Something stinks here.
I bet the GAS people and the Anchorage people feel terrible. They run a good show and a great tournament.......and they've done it for years. Anchorage is very much a great city with great community spirit. Growing like crazy too. Just because it's out of the way doesn't mean anything. This will surely dent their enthusiasm. Just terrible news IMO. Oh well...anytime, anyone and anyplace. Let's go win the damned thing and come home. We're tough.....afterall.......we are Gonzaga! Go Zags!

dim4sum
11-19-2007, 01:58 PM
One strategy--sign on with espn 360 and cancel immediately after the game.
However, it may not be that easy, and most of us are already in deep water with unnecessary cable services.

GPGUgrad
11-19-2007, 02:13 PM
One strategy--sign on with espn 360 and cancel immediately after the game.
However, it may not be that easy, and most of us are already in deep water with unnecessary cable services.

Hey Guys!

ESPN360 was already discussed on an earlier thread, it is not Comcast, Directv, Dish or any form of tv.

It is already on the net (computer please) and it is FREE! if your internet provider carries it,
If you have: i.e, Verizon, ATT

Here is a link to the ESPN360
it should tell you right away if you can watch:
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/espn360/index

P.S. I would love to share with all, but, I am afraid I am not smart enough to figure how to do, sorry:( .

lawzag
11-19-2007, 02:23 PM
when I sign on it gives me the same message as when I was looking for ESPNU
"Your internet service provider doesn't carry ESPN360.com, so you are missing out on over 2500 free events....tell your provider you want to receive 24/7 live sports online"

same scenerio as with ESPNU - get the consumer to "lobby" for ESPN directly, ie get the consumer to force the provider to carry the product...like has been said by others "its clearly all about the $$ for ESPN & scr** the fans!"

asoc
11-19-2007, 02:29 PM
If Fox Sports could get their act together...
It seems as though ESPN is making many consumers angry at the way they handle things, and its not just college basketball. Is all it would take is for someone to come in and take advantage of that.

CDC84
11-19-2007, 02:39 PM
BTW....The opening round game between Butler/Michigan on Wednesday evening (8:30pm PT) is on ESPN2.

One of the reasons why the Great Alaska Shootout has lost a lot of its TV appeal are all of the other tournaments like the CBE Classic that have sprung up either during holiday week or prior to it. So many of the heavy hitter teams are electing to play in these other tourneys....it allows them to get a couple of home games in versus easy opponents (in theory), and then fly into a convenient place like Kansas City to play a couple of more games in prime time on ESPN.

BobZag
11-19-2007, 03:11 PM
The only reason GU is in the GAS, is because GU pulled out a couple years ago when a spot opened up in the best Maui field ever. DePaul withdrew and GU took their place in Maui. When GU pulled out of the GAS, Few/Roth promised the GAS promoters that GU would make up for it this year. There was much better coverage when GU agreed to it.

Section 116
11-19-2007, 03:38 PM
This is a bit off topic but sheds more light on the fragile relationship between televison and the sports fan. Most of you probably know the Big Ten Network launched this year. While not a huge interest to the sports fan in the Northwest and west coast there are many of us with roots in the Big Ten for whatever reason. There is an ongoing battle between Comcast and the Big Ten Network over the fees to be charged, if any, for carrying the Big Ten Network. The Big Ten would like to see the channel carried on the basic or expended basic service for no additional fee. Comcast maintains there is not that much demand for the channel and therefore should be carried on say, the FoxSports pay tier of channels. In the meantime no Comcast subscriber gets the Big Ten network, consequently, many Big Ten events are unavailable to millions of Comcast viewers. For instance and I may be wrong about this, but I believe the Ohio St-Wisconsin football game recently played was not carried locally by Comcast in Columbus OH much to the consternation of Buckeye fans in that city. That game was only on the Big Ten Network causing the Buckeye faithful to find alternative viewing sites. Once again the suffering sports fans take a rear seat to corporate giants. As I said I know this is off topic but the relationship ESPN and the GAS currently have reminds me a lot of Comcast and The Big Ten Network.

HillBillyZag
11-20-2007, 10:03 AM
With the support given to Gonzaga basketball in Spokane and the inland northwest its a shame that the University cannot make arrangement for the airing of these games. Many fans cannot see a game in the perennially sold out K2 and generally the Arena is sold out for the few games played there. Gonzaga and Whitworth are our local Universities and both are outstanding Schools, the Community should be justly proud and loyal to both and in return the Universities should strengthen local ties as much as possible.

gamagin
11-20-2007, 11:36 AM
espn has the rights and can show or not show whatever they like:

<< Earlier this year, UAA and ESPN agreed to a new three-year contract for the Shootout broadcasting rights. Financially, the new deal pales in comparison with the old 10-year deal; the final year of that agreement paid UAA $100,000. >>

that would preclude anyone else from attempting to cover that game for tv.

otoh, espn could easily (and well may) decide to air GU-Butler, for e.g., since both teams enjoy national audiences.

unfortunately, since it paid peanuts for the rights, it can do this with impunity if it so choses. and so far, it so choses, it appears.

GAS must have been too desparate to give it away like it did. THEN wound up with some interesting, if not big, games and matchups.

jazzdelmar
11-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Teams participating: Alaska Anchorage; Butler; Eastern Washington; Gonzaga; Michigan; Texas Tech; Virginia Tech; Western Kentucky
Nov. 23 Semifinal No. 1 (ESPN2, 9:30 ET)
Semifinal No. 2 (ESPN2, midnight ET)
Nov. 24 Championship Game (ESPN2, 12:30 a.m. ET)
Consolation Game (ESPN2, 10 ET)

Butler Guy
11-20-2007, 01:31 PM
BTW....The opening round game between Butler/Michigan on Wednesday evening (8:30pm PT) is on ESPN2.

In Ann Arbor, Indianapolis and, hell, Bristol, CT, that tip is at 11:30 PM!!! You would think even moving that up to 10:00 PM would drastically improve ratings. That's a pretty late start for people out east, especially if Erin Andrews and her magnificent... uh sweaters, aren't there to give us insightful sideline commentary. :)

RenoZag
11-20-2007, 02:05 PM
http://image26.webshots.com/26/2/41/51/281924151jddZef_ph.jpg

Ms. Andrews. . .