PDA

View Full Version : Are our priorities in line?

HillBillyZag
11-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Per the S-R sports section page C4, Nov.18th, 2007. NBA minimum now $427,163.00. Average NBA salary now $4.65 mil. And MLB & NFL are just as bad or worse. Think about it? The President of the United States makes $400,000.00, Chief Justice $212,000.00, Senators and congressmen make a base of $162,100. The average teacher's pay in the US was $47,602.00, In Spokane the average wage for an Electrical Engineer is $54,512.00., for a Family Practice Pysician is $147,516.00, a truck driver makes an average of $35,000.00 and a laborer makes$38,275.00. Personally, I raised fed, and educated four children and never made over $ 50,00.00 in my best year. Think about it?

Rubbadub
11-19-2007, 07:58 AM
and you call me communist.

former1dog
11-19-2007, 08:16 AM
HBZ,

Respectfully, consider this an economic experiment.

Of course, supply and demand play a factor in this, but lets also consider the relative talent of the average doctor vs. the (nothing about them is) average NBA player.

I'm guessing there are more than 100,000 doctors in these United States. There are roughly 400 players in the NBA. Did you know that you are 4 times more likely to need a doctor because you got hit by lightning in any given year than be a player in the NBA?

The point being, despite the frivolity of playing a game for a living, you have to be an extremely rare and gifted individual to make an NBA roster.

You also have to be very intelligent, dedicated and perservere to become a doctor, but the odds aren't necessarily stacked incredibly against you in the latter endeavor.

Some food for thought.

Your friend,

F1Dog
:)

HillBillyZag
11-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Look, I'm not begrudging any of these guys a living, I just don't believe that anyone is worth the dollars they pay entertainers and athletes. And no, I would,nt want to let Yao Ming remove my appendics.

former1dog
11-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Look, I'm not begrudging any of these guys a living, I just don't believe that anyone is worth the dollars they pay entertainers and athletes. And no, I would,nt want to let Yao Ming remove my appendics.

Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter what you or I think they are worth. Hell, I agree with you by and large.

I'm not willing, though, to stop believing in the reasons they are paid what they are paid and that is a free market determination based on two factors, what they demand to be paid and what their employers ultimately agree to pay them for their services. Capitalism with all its imperfections is still far better than any other economic system ever devised.