PDA

View Full Version : Story about Rob Sacre in home town paper

ZagNative
11-18-2007, 02:17 AM
Big noise in Kennel
Loving every minute with Gonzaga Bulldogs
Howard Tsumura, The Province
Published: Sunday, November 18, 2007

It didn't take Rob Sacre very long to experience his first ESPN SportsCenter moment.

On Tuesday, in just his third college game, the 7-foot freshman from North Vancouver got into the thick of the action for his NCAA No. 14-ranked Gonzaga Bulldogs.

Sacre's block led to a highlight-reel fast-break dunk by teammate Larry Gurganious that ESPN picked its No. 2 highlight of the night.

What's been even bigger for the Handsworth Secondary grad who led the Royals to the 2006 Telus B.C. Triple A title is the environment that he is just now getting accustomed to playing in.

Fans camp out overnight in front of the gym, known as The Kennel (search Kennel Kraziness at youtube.com) and they jump and sing in unison before and during games.

"The atmosphere is ridiculous in The Kennel," said Sacre. "It's nothing I have ever experienced in my life. It's unbelievable. The fans are getting me so excited, so amped for the game you don't know what to do. First two minutes you're gassed. You're like, 'Oh my gawd.' But it's fun."

more of thee story here (http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=b515bd0c-0483-44d3-84b2-41f8da773e58)

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/idl/vapr/20071118/48159-16472.jpg

Rangerzag
11-18-2007, 04:09 AM
more of thee story here (http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=b515bd0c-0483-44d3-84b2-41f8da773e58)

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/idl/vapr/20071118/48159-16472.jpg

At the end of that story is the line:

For the full transcript of our interview with Sacre, in Q-and-A form, visit www.theprovince.com/schoolzone.

If you go there you will find:
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/features/schoolzone/story.html?id=ce10e7c8-4b0b-4124-bd00-a050a5fef6bd&k=87908

Sacre making his mark with Gonzaga Bulldogs

Ex-Handsworth star takes time out for a Q and A with The Province

The Province

Published: Sunday, November 18, 2007
Rob Sacre, the 7-foot standout from North Vancouver's Handsworth Secondary, is four games into his freshman basketball season with the Gonzaga Bulldogs of the West Coast Conference.
On Saturday, he had his best game yet, going five-of-five from the floor and scoring 12 points in just 16 minutes as the Zags beat UC-Riverside 84-48 at The Kennel in Spokane.
On Friday, Sacre took time out between classes and practice to chat with The Province about what life in the big-time world of NCAA Div. 1 basketball is like.
Q: Against Idaho on Tuesday, you made a block that led to fast break dunk by Larry Gurganious that really seemed to get you guys going on your way to an 80-43 win?
A: I knew the little things would get us going, especially on defence. We had to step it up and I had to bring some energy. But I don't think it was just me. A lot of guys came off the bench and a lot of guys who were starters brought that energy and we went on a 30-2 run.
(Note -- Gonzaga held Idaho to just 13 points in the second half, a stretch that impressed head coach Mark Few who told The Associated Press afterwards: "I've been here 19 years. That's the best we've ever had."
Q: Did you also know that you ended up on ESPN's Sportscentre that night? They picked the block-and-dunk sequence the No. 2 play of the night.
A: I heard about that. It was big on campus. The dunk was huge.
Q: So what kind of effort has it taken to earn your minutes with the No. 14-ranked team in Div. 1 basketball?
A: Everything here has met my expectations. I knew it was going to be hard. I think that you have to go in here with the mindset that you have to try and take control of a game or whatever. You always have to contribute with something. If it's in practice or in a game I have to always contribute.
Q: With so many more experienced players in the lineup, does this take you back a little to your earlier years at Handsworth?
A: Yeah it feels like that, like I am back as a freshman. But I'm just a lot stronger than I was in the ninth grade, and I am a lot more skilled so that helps a lot.
Q: Your ability to run the floor seems to have translated very nicely from the preps to college. You seem very at home with the pace of the Div. 1 game.
A: Big time. (My athletic ability) helps a lot because it's a lot faster than high school basketball and the thing is I still stumble and do some things, like a rookie mistakes. I do that still. But I am working on it and getting better every day.
Q: You scored 11 points and you got 13 free throw trips in your very first college game, a 101-70 win over Emporia State. What was the game like?
A: Exciting. The atmosphere is ridiculous in The Kennel. It's nothing I have ever experienced in my life. It's unbelievable. I guess it kind of reminds me of the Argyle-Handsworth matchup, but everyone is rooting for you. So that helps a lot. The fans are getting me so excited, so amped for the game you don't know what to do. First two minutes you're gassed. You're like 'Oh My God.' But it's fun.
(Note -- To see what Sacre's talking about, go to YouTube.com and search Kennel Kraziness).
Q: And 13 free throw trips? That was impressive.
A: Coach told us to keep putting foul pressure on them. I was posting them up hard and all they could do was foul me. So that's how I got them.
Q: What's it like practicing with and against players as accomplished as David Pendergraft and Jeremy Pargo?
A: It's grueling. It's long. It's days where you're thinking 'What am I doing?' But it'll make you better so whatever makes you better, I'll do it. I think like that it has been tough because no good things come easy."
Q: So there's no time to be a man of leisure?
A: Our first month of the season we just practiced. That is basically what we did. Just go to class, go to practice, go to bed at like 9 o'clock, then go to class in the morning, then go to practice, then go to bed. There was nothing else.
Q: Are you presently sleep-challenged?
A: When you have time you sleep between classes, you have a 30 minute break, you try to get a 15-minute nap.
Q: How have your teammates welcomed their new big man from the Great White North?
A: We have also Theo Davis from Toronto. And then we have (Kitsilano grad) Sasha (Polishchuk) and Genelle Bekkering (Taber, Alb.) on the women's team. So we all have all these Canadians down here.
Q: So it's all good for the Canadians?
A: The guys ask how Vancouver is and I will probably bring some of them back over the summer. It's fun how they make fun of us sometimes like 'You're Canadian so you don't know what you're talking about.' The only difference I found was when someone had a beanie on and I called it a toque and they were all like 'What's a toque?' How do you explain a toque? It's a toque.
Q: And those fans? They look every bit as devoted as Duke fans.
A: It's all positive. Everyone's positive. Everyone has a lot of support and they give you great feedback and they all love the games. We'll have students camping out for the games. They'll sleep in front of the doors for a game.
Q: Getting home sick?
A: I keep in touch with a lot of people back home. It's great to stay in touch and all that. But basically I am so focussed on just playing here that I don't even call people. People have to call me to get a hold of me. I am too tired to talk. That's it.

GonzagaGurl08
11-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Great article. Thanks for posting ZN!!!

MDABE80
11-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Rob Sacre said "I keep in touch with a lot of people back home. It's great to stay in touch and all that. But basically I am so focussed on just playing here that I don't even call people. People have to call me to get a hold of me. I am too tired to talk. That's it."

Great kid. This is a Final Four attitude. Focus. The first 2 games, I could see he had the athleticism but this last one clearly shows he has the goods. Gawd!!!!! he's such a good kid. Big, strong, tough, dedicated and he's good in class. Send 10 of him Canada! Certainly a kid to watch. We're so lucky to have Robert here at GU.

Unbiased
11-18-2007, 12:45 PM
What's a toque?

Nothing more than the common knit hat withour a brim - the kind you might use for skiing. Canadians say Toque (French) - where I come from originally, (Northern Michigan) we say Chook

SWZag
11-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Nothing more than the common knit hat withour a brim - the kind you might use for skiing. Canadians say Toque (French) - where I come from originally, (Northern Michigan) we say Chook

Was just up there (Vancouver, BC) this weekend and read that article in the print form. I know quite a few in the basketball community up there, as one of my friends is a guard for UBC, but they are all following Robert. They are all interested in their Lower Mainland kids including Kepkay (Utah) and others. A good group of Zag fans up there, it was great to be in good company!!

And yes, a tuque is what we call a stocking hat or beanie.

UberZagFan
11-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Exciting. The atmosphere is ridiculous in The Kennel. It's nothing I have ever experienced in my life. It's unbelievable.

token two characters

kitzbuel
11-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Questions about toques should be referred to Zagzealot:
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/member.php?u=314

zagzealot
11-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks, Kitz! Hey, hosers! Anything you need to know about a toque can be found here at the Kanadian Korner! Now take off, eh?

OZZag
11-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Was just up there (Vancouver, BC) this weekend and read that article in the print form. I know quite a few in the basketball community up there, as one of my friends is a guard for UBC, but they are all following Robert. They are all interested in their Lower Mainland kids including Kepkay (Utah) and others. A good group of Zag fans up there, it was great to be in good company!!

And yes, a tuque is what we call a stocking hat or beanie.

Not only do British Columbians follow him from there, I have been following him since he played Under 15s for B.C. Kepkay, Gallick, Morrison, Mara, Denison and Kendall have all been B.C Boys. It is a little to do with The Steve Nash factor, but a lot more to do with our pride. Just look at Baseball as well. obviously Jason Bay is a B.C. Zag, but how about MVPs Justin Morneau, and Larry Walker .

Keep those eyes on the Great White North, you will find there is much more than just snow! (believe it or not I do miss the snow sometimes!)

LynetteG
11-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Keep those eyes on the Great White North, you will find there is much more than just snow! (believe it or not I do miss the snow sometimes!)

Red Mountain here I come!

ZagsGoZags
11-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the post. Most of us would have never found it by ourselves.