PDA

View Full Version : Anybody can beat anybody

BobZag
11-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Siena > Stanford by a good margin.

Our Zags better come out breathing fire vs WKU, or else.

zagster318
11-17-2007, 07:18 PM
We're doomed!

theothegreat21
11-17-2007, 07:21 PM
I think after today's somewhat disapointing performance, Mark will make sure the team is ready to go. I also think with the way LG is playing defense that we match up better with WKU as hopefully he can neutralize Courtney Taylor. One huge advantage we have is that we are playing on a neutral court in Alaska while Stanford went on the road to play Siena. Interesting choice by Trent Johnson and the Cardinal to go to play a very good mid-major on their court

BroncoZAG615
11-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Siena is a talented team and has been in the tourney recently. Don't forget Stanford is without Brook Lopez.

ZagsGoZags
11-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Yes, that is why some good teams like Duke and North Carolina will let us come to them, but not take the trip to the beautiful scablands of Eastern Washington.
We are beggars, we can't be choosy. Yet.
If we win the national championship one of these years (best bet is next year, not this year - if the NBA leaves Josh, Austin, and Pargo alone) then we can host some of the great teams.

TheBeast
11-17-2007, 07:28 PM
We're doomed!

Doomed I tell you! Doooooomed!

BroncoZAG615
11-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Yes, that is why some good teams like Duke and North Carolina will let us come to them, but not take the trip to the beautiful scablands of Eastern Washington.
We are beggars, we can't be choosy. Yet.
If we win the national championship one of these years (best bet is next year, not this year - if the NBA leaves Josh, Austin, and Pargo alone) then we can host some of the great teams.

Both Duke and Carolina were played at MSG in New York city, a neutral site. We aren't beggars, they just will not come here because the Kennel has the respect of other teams and teams know that it is not in there best interest to come here. Hence the big games in Spokane Arena and Battle in Seattle, at least we are doing anything we can to get big named teams within the state of Washington. But we are not beggars.

MedZag
11-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Both Duke and Carolina were played at MSG in New York city, a neutral site. We aren't beggars, they just will not come here because the Kennel has the respect of other teams and teams know that it is not in there best interest to come here. Hence the big games in Spokane Arena and Battle in Seattle, at least we are doing anything we can to get big named teams within the state of Washington. But we are not beggars.

Second these thoughts. Look at our OOC this year. We've been signing home-and-aways with top notch programs for a couple years now. Just cause we aren't with doing the same with the blue devils and tar heels of this world doesn't mean we're beggars. A lot of schools out there want a shot AT us now, and at very least there's a great deal of mutual respect between GU and the BCS schools now.

Throw in the tough kennel environment and the fact that most big time programs have enough tough away games with their conference schedules and the neutral site has quickly become our friend.

BTW - I LOVE the home-and-away with Memphis. We have a lot to gain from playing each other since our conference RPIs typically hurt us.

theothegreat21
11-17-2007, 07:41 PM
I think you nailed it broncozag. The truth is we have trouble getting lots of home and home series set up because teams dont want to come to the Kennel. Many of our games against top teams occur at neutral sites or in early season tournaments, we usually do not play games on the road against top teams

CDC84
11-17-2007, 09:44 PM
What's crazy is that there were only 6,274 in attendance for this game which took place at Pepsi Arena in Albany. That place is like a 17,000 seater if I recall.

I have a feeling Stanford played this game to give Taj Finger a home game. He grew up around 120 miles from Albany. That being said, year after year Stanford plays these oddball non-conference games (like at UC-Davis 2 season's ago) that most semi-successful BCS teams would never sign on to. And yet despite losing these games, Stanford just signs on to more of them. I don't think this is happening because they want it to be that way....they must have a miserable time getting teams to agree to play at Maples. I mean, they accept games that Gonzaga wouldn't even dream of signing on to these days.