PDA

View Full Version : Public Prediction - OMG GU's best GO-TO guy in history !!

ZagsGoZags
11-17-2007, 06:25 PM
We finally have what we didin't have last year
a GO - TO Man - Austin Daye !!
I'll put my reputation on the line right here tonight - the Best GoToGuy GU has ever had
When the game is close, and we are a little bit behind or ahead of a ranked team and there are only a few minutes left

ITS DAYE, DAYE, ALL THE WAY, DAYE

You all saw it, give him the ball with one or two defenders and he can do it all, most of the time, I think
with two defenders look over them for an open man better than Adam could,
take the athletic shots driving and floating away
he is better on assists than Adam for two reasons
One - he sees the whole court better once he is in motion
Two - he is a more deceptive passer

Coach Few will, pretty soon, give him more of the green light to go for shots more often, to be the GUN he was born to be, as well as good skills everywhere else except banging underneath with the 170 pound gorillas who like to elbow skinny guys in the jaw and ribs

Excuse my excitement but I see Gonzaga's future before me .....
First time in my life I have been clairvoyant, and a skilled seer

BroncoZAG615
11-17-2007, 06:29 PM
How bout a guy named A-Mo...just a thought. He's young. I don't know if once Josh comes back he will be the best go to player on THIS team. But he is a stud...but whoaaaa nellie, give him some time.

theothegreat21
11-17-2007, 06:30 PM
While I have been very impressed by Austin all season, im not sure i would even call him the best go to guy on the team this season. At this point I still want the ball in Pargo's hands at the end of the game. He is both better at attacking the basket and a better finisher around the hoop that Austin is, and I think these turnovers we have seen are just a reflection of him testing some aspect of his game out against some lower ability teams. As for the best guy in history I think that it would be pretty incredible if Austin becomes better at the end of the game then Adam was.

former1dog
11-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Dude,

Settle down. Breathe.

We're all excited about Austin Daye's talent. How about Austin actually has an end of game circumstance where he has to make a big shot before we start declaring him best ever clutch shooter. I think we need at least one rep and probably a whole lot more than that, agree?

BTW - Ammo was a great clutch shooter, but Dickau made a few in his day as well. ;)

ZagsGoZags
11-17-2007, 06:39 PM
You're ordering me to breathe?
Well, I can't do it.
Even after all the great teams we play study Austin for weakness, they will find less than they found in Adam and Dan and Rony.
Only time can prove me right or wrong now.
I am not capable of hearing reason or evidence on this subject, at least not tonight.

BroncoZAG615
11-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Reason is a big part of making a claim as best go to player in GU history! Perhaps putting the computer to sleep would be best for the evening. As your first post alludes to, we must wait til we play ranked teams and are down late. Austin is strong, but still young.

ZagSauce
11-17-2007, 07:03 PM
3 games against a bunch of clowns. AMMO was nails against Michigan State. untill further review it's merely a Jr. High crush

ZagsGoZags
11-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Ammo was a machine gun against Mighigan State, and many other teams that year. He also played well considering almost every team double teamed him the rest of the year.

dim4sum
11-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Let's wait until we play someone good on the road. So far so good.
But let's put Austin's game in perspective. The same can be said of the team's so-far stifling defense. Will that hold on the road? Is another Singletary out there waiting to kill us from three, inspired by hometown cheers?? Keep it restrained--if you can.

MedZag
11-17-2007, 07:27 PM
I've noticed a trend around this board the past few years that we have a tendency to annoint freshman when they come in showing promise (see D Rav/Ammo 4 years ago, Pargo 2 years ago, Bouldin last year, Daye this year) and demonize sophomores who reproduce some of their freshmen weaknesses (see D Rav 3 years ago, Pargo last year, Bouldin this year).

That being said - Daye has crazy skills and some great instincts to boot. Put that with his rediculous wingspan and you can see why he was a such a coveted recruit. But give him time. The only gimmie on freshmen is that they WILL be inconsistent. Heck, even Memphis' Rose is demonstrating inconsistency. And there's no WAY Daye looks better then Adam did when doubled. Ammo was simply rediculous - the entire nation acknowledged that. Daye has oodles of potential, but he's not near that level.

I'd also second the notion that this team simply has too many weapons and no one has seperated themselves as a go-to scorer yet. I'd still want Pargo looking for Heytvelt or the open lane at the end of regulation personally.

zag69
11-17-2007, 07:53 PM
And we'll also see what happens when other teams have an opportunity to scout Daye some more.

ZagsGoZags
11-17-2007, 08:14 PM
but cannot intuit from what we have, the makings of what will become, next to John Stockton, the greatest penetration into the NBA for the blessed GU. Your youth blinds you.

It reminds me of Samuel Homray who withdrew his financing of the worlds first steam engine locomotive, because after three tries at 5 miles per hour, he concluded it would never be practical, and its inventer had to put it in a circus to try to make any money from it. But the public, like the GU public, cannot put 2 + 2 together to make four, and he had to stop running it as a circus act. It was more than 10 yrs later that anybody realized the truth in the dream.

DONT LET YOUR FEAR OF BEING WRONG blind you to the obvious talent, far exceeding that which has gone before.

I know in your heart you disbelievers are all secretly hoping I am right.

And you will see that I am.

23dpg
11-17-2007, 08:16 PM
:enraged: :enraged: Daye's scoring total has decreased by 2 points every game. At this rate he will be shut out in 8 more games...........after that he will be deducting points from our total.

Few needs to revoke his scholarship NOW! Before its too late!!!

MedZag
11-17-2007, 08:18 PM
but cannot intuit from what we have, the makings of what will become, next to John Stockton, the greatest penetration into the NBA for the blessed GU. Your youth blinds you.

It reminds me of Samuel Homray who withdrew his financing of the worlds first steam engine locomotive, because after three tries at 5 miles per hour, he concluded it would never be practical, and its inventer had to put it in a circus to try to make any money from it. But the public, like the GU public, cannot put 2 + 2 together to make four, and he had to stop running it as a circus act. It was more than 10 yrs later that anybody realized the truth in the dream.

DONT LET YOUR FEAR OF BEING WRONG blind you to the obvious talent, far exceeding that which has gone before.

I know in your heart you disbelievers are all secretly hoping I am right.

And you will see that I am.

It's not even about what I believe Daye is capable of. Personally I just don't think its fair to heap such unrealistic expectations on a 19 year old. Let him prove it in his own right instead of expecting it from him.

BroncoZAG615
11-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Comparisons to Samuel Homray and a steam engine may be a bit outlandish when discussing a 19 year olds impact on Gonzaga basketball. That is just me though.

I guess I don't understand if you are saying he IS our best go to guy right now or will be?

It is without a doubt I am hoping he is our best go to guy ever. Because that would mean that Gonzaga is progressing even farther into the elite of basketball. However, right now I believe that it is premature. Austin is a stud, and will be a great Zag. Lets see if he stays more than a year, adds more bulk, and at least gets in the starting line up before we anoint him as the best go to player ever at Gonzaga. I HOPE he is, but right now, he's not.

ZagsGoZags
11-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Tonight, from the wing, with a defender in front of him, and picking up another as Daye drove towards the hoop, and with somebody trying to pick the ball from his dribble as he proceeded, he went up over them and took a mostly one handed shot from 6-7 feet out

There is no defense for that, esp. when the defender must fear other weapons in the player's aresenal.

Remember in the Arena last year, we were one point up on Memphis, they got the ball inbounded from the wing, with 12-13 seconds left? They gave the ball to their go to guy, and he did virtually the same thing. Only a few players can do this consistently, and I am saying Austin will do this consistently.

I am not giving my opinions for the sake of Austin's ego, or expectations. Yes maybe it would not be good for him if everyone expected him to be great as I do. I am sticking my neck out for all to see. It is really easy to hedge every comment, then you are never held to it when you are wrong, but if you claim you were right nobody remembers.

I am giving PREDICTIONS. I'll stake part of my rep with my friends on it. I expect history will show me to be correct. Its not a guess, its a gestalt, like, I suppose, scouts in major league sports are called upon to "sense." I'll make very few predictions over the months or year, and it is sticking out for all to see.

In chat rooms I publicly predicted the Coalition forces would have captured Bin Laden by Jan 2002. I was wrong. In a serb chat cafe I publicly predicted very few US planes would be downed by Serbs, only by mechanical failure when the rare event happened. I was right because only one was downed by hostile fire. Within a day of Hussein's invasion of Kuwait I publicly predicted the US and Europe would never let that stand, and I had a heck of a debate on my hands (not in a chat room, in a classroom).

So, don't make a prediction unless you sense an epiphany, a sudden burst of great insight, where you sense you are right.

So, I leap over caution on this topic.
Austin Daye will be our GoTo guy next basketball year for sure, and probably by Spring 08. We tried to use Jeremy last few games of last year, and it had mixed results - he ran the clock out with no shot, or a sloppy shot about a third of the time. Austin will do better than that. Furthermore, he will go farther in the NBA than any other zag than Stockton.

mendiant
11-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Tonight, from the wing, with a defender in front of him, and picking up another as Daye drove towards the hoop, and with somebody trying to pick the ball from his dribble as he proceeded, he went up over them and took a mostly one handed shot from 6-7 feet out

There is no defense for that, esp. when the defender must fear other weapons in the player's aresenal.

Remember in the Arena last year, we were one point up on Memphis, they got the ball inbounded from the wing, with 12-13 seconds left? They gave the ball to their go to guy, and he did virtually the same thing. Only a few players can do this consistently, and I am saying Austin will do this consistently.

I am not giving my opinions for the sake of Austin's ego, or expectations. Yes maybe it would not be good for him if everyone expected him to be great as I do. I am sticking my neck out for all to see. It is really easy to hedge every comment, then you are never held to it when you are wrong, but if you claim you were right nobody remembers.

I am giving PREDICTIONS. I'll stake part of my rep with my friends on it. I expect history will show me to be correct. Its not a guess, its a gestalt, like, I suppose, scouts in major league sports are called upon to "sense." I'll make very few predictions over the months or year, and it is sticking out for all to see.

In chat rooms I publicly predicted the Coalition forces would have captured Bin Laden by Jan 2002. I was wrong. In a serb chat cafe I publicly predicted very few US planes would be downed by Serbs, only by mechanical failure when the rare event happened. I was right because only one was downed by hostile fire. Within a day of Hussein's invasion of Kuwait I publicly predicted the US and Europe would never let that stand, and I had a heck of a debate on my hands (not in a chat room, in a classroom).

So, don't make a prediction unless you sense an epiphany, a sudden burst of great insight, where you sense you are right.

So, I leap over caution on this topic.
Austin Daye will be our GoTo guy next basketball year for sure, and probably by Spring 08. We tried to use Jeremy last few games of last year, and it had mixed results - he ran the clock out with no shot, or a sloppy shot about a third of the time. Austin will do better than that. Furthermore, he will go farther in the NBA than any other zag than Stockton.

OH GOOD LORD "GoZagsGo"

Take a frickin' qualude and chill...

We all know the kid is talented.

So Far.

Against the teams we have seen THUS FAR.

Can we wait to annoint him until some sort of major competition????

Really...

Talk about premature ejaculation...

did I just say that???

I did.

Love,
mendiant

damn I make me laugh
i'm soo bad for a church lady

ZagsGoZags
11-17-2007, 10:00 PM
oh, those church ladies ...