PDA

View Full Version : Theo, Theo, THEO -- I don't get it

ZagsGoZags
11-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Remember when everyone was waiting last year for Dave Burgess and Theo Davis to come on line in December? And when they were finally eligible to play, they got almost no minutes. Why? Because in coach Few's opinion their contribution was not worthy of much PT.

What does everybody know that I don't?
He is under 200 lbs, and you want him to bang around with the Big 5's on top ranked teams? You think he can play ahead of Micah Downs and Austin Daye at 4? Maybe he is 220 lbs and the roster is inaccurate, but he hasn't looked that big to me on TV or at the scrimmage.

Is it that Theo is tremendously well liked on the campus so all the zag students want him to have more playing time? Austin Daye is taller and only 8 lbs lighter --

From what I can tell, bring along our true 5, the one that will go deeper into the NBA than Josh will, Robert Sacre. Let him play more against unranked teams to allow him to develop. Everyone I know thinks Sacre's potential is sky high, but he is still so green. The high school he went to must not have had coaches who understood Big Man dynamics.

Don't get me wrong, I think Theo is probably a very skilled player, and would start on any other WCC team, but I put him behind JH, Sacre, Daye, Kuso, Downs, and even Pendo, at least for a couple of months, at a 4 or 5.

Just an opinion!

AnonyMoose
11-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Theo redshirted last year... so of course he didn't play much last year.

KSTATEZAG
11-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Remember when everyone was waiting last year for Dave Burgess and Theo Davis to come on line in December? And when they were finally eligible to play, they got almost no minutes. Why? Because in coach Few's opinion their contribution was not worthy of much PT.

What does everybody know that I don't?
He is under 200 lbs, and you want him to bang around with the Big 5's on top ranked teams? You think he can play ahead of Micah Downs and Austin Daye at 4? Maybe he is 220 lbs and the roster is inaccurate, but he hasn't looked that big to me on TV or at the scrimmage.

Is it that Theo is tremendously well liked on the campus so all the zag students want him to have more playing time? Austin Daye is taller and only 8 lbs lighter --

From what I can tell, bring along our true 5, the one that will go deeper into the NBA than Josh will, Robert Sacre. Let him play more against unranked teams to allow him to develop. Everyone I know thinks Sacre's potential is sky high, but he is still so green. The high school he went to must not have had coaches who understood Big Man dynamics.

Don't get me wrong, I think Theo is probably a very skilled player, and would start on any other WCC team, but I put him behind JH, Sacre, Daye, Kuso, Downs, and even Pendo, at least for a couple of months, at a 4 or 5.

Just an opinion!

Either you weren't a fan last year or you have a very poor memory.
Theo was out with a shoulder injury and then was redshirted...Him not playing last year had nothing to do with lack of talent or skill. A matter of fact he was considered a prize recruit coming out of HS b4 he went to prep.
----
And Austin and Micah don't play the 4. Their natural position is on the wing.
:confused:

ZagsGoZags
11-17-2007, 12:30 PM
OK, I'll admit my ignorance
I thought Theo was reshirted once he was able to play, because his skills seemed insufficient
Is it a fact that he was red shirted because of injury all year?
Also I thought a 4 was a power Forward
And I'll admit I don't know very clearly the difference between wing, 4, power forward, etc.
I will gladly accept an education on any of these points

AnonyMoose
11-17-2007, 12:39 PM
4= Power Forward
Wing=SF or SG, Gonzaga may have two or three wings and one true big man on the floor so it would be PG SG WING WING and C.

Nevtelen
11-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Theo was held out all last year because of injury and there was also that small incident you might remember in Cheney that kept him out from Feb on.

A wing/3 is more of a perimiter player/jump-shooter traditionally whereas a 4/power forward is more of an inside player/post-up, elbow-jumper type. Again, this is all stereotypical - Josh is really a 4, but can certainly play on the perimiter, for example. Micah has played 4 for us, but would be pretty banged around against a tough 4. He had Austin are really 3s who occasionally play at the 4 so far this year.

CDC84
11-17-2007, 01:13 PM
I would like to see Theo play some before making any evaluations of him and what he might be able to do to help this team. I would hope that others would do the same.

It's too easy to forget because it's been so long since he was in high school that Theo is the single most decorated prep big man to ever enter this program. He was almost a universal top 40 player coming out of high school. He was more decorated than Heytvelt even.

Now whether he was overrated or not remains to be seen, and he may not truly come into his own until he's an upperclassmen. But you usually don't get ranked that high and get Mark Few to offer you unless you have some pretty decent basketball ability.

roxdoc
11-17-2007, 01:17 PM
He really didn't look too bad this summer averaging nearly a doub/double for team Canada in, was it 6 or 7 games? Time will tell but I expect we are going to be happy with his performance once he knocks the rust off and gets some big time D-1 under his belt.

ZagsGoZags
11-17-2007, 01:27 PM
I have the stereotype that a PG is a point guard, a good ball handler, team leader, passer, great assists, calling plays, steals, and can shoot OK when needed. Is SG the pure shooting guard?

And if 4 is the inside, power forward,
isn't Theo on the small side for this job, if not too small?

gonza
11-17-2007, 01:28 PM
I would add that it wasn't very long ago that some folks on this board were ready to write off LG because he hadn't played in so long. Let's not jump to conclusions again !!

ZaggyStardust
11-17-2007, 01:36 PM
I would add that it wasn't very long ago that some folks on this board were ready to write off LG because he hadn't played in so long. Let's not jump to conclusions again !!

Now that is the most intelligent statement I have seen all day!! I've been thinking about that same thing a lot lately!

scrooner
11-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah, a lot of people posted that LG would probably be the odd man out this year. Doesn't look that way now...he looks like the X FACTOR!!

zag67
11-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Yes, I will say that in my mind I thought that LG would never be able to come back stong and quick enough. I admit that I was one of those that was wrong. He is playing super and I hope that he can keep it up.

I think that we all need to give Theo at least 8 games before we make a judgement. I do believe that Coach will be giving him minutes so that he will know. Theo needs playing time against teams in live games to get back to playing speed. Remember, he was off for nearly 2 years.

tyra
11-17-2007, 02:34 PM
I thought Theo was nationally ranked coming out of high school, and fairly high. Does anyone remember?

scrooner
11-17-2007, 04:32 PM
According to this guy's blog (http://crosscyed.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_archive.html), Theo was at one time the #7 center on Scout.com:

GoZags
11-17-2007, 06:25 PM
RSCI (concensus of Top recruiting sites) ranked Theo the #36 prospect in the nation coming out of prep school.
http://home.nc.rr.com/rsci/RSCI_100_Final_2005.htm

I do not think there is any question whatsoever regarding his talent level.

He was redshirted last year after undergoing shoulder surgery.

Theo will help the Zags this year (and in years to come).

theothegreat21
11-17-2007, 06:34 PM
I think we will see a lot of Theo in Alaska, and this will give us a much better idea of what he can bring with extended minutes. With 3 games in 3 days we will need to use our depth at big man especially with no Josh. This means we will see a strong rotation of Kuso,Sacre, and Theo. He was clearly highly recruited coming out of high school and prep school. I think he will be a very solid contributor this season, with even greater things to come throughout his career

ZagsGoZags
11-17-2007, 06:35 PM
5 in high school, but won't you all agree he will have to make his living at GU and in the pros (if he makes it) as a 4 or 3?
Few has seen Theo play a lot, and he is still putting him in behind all the players I have mentioned. Behind Sacre, Daye, Pendo, Kuso, Micah.
Especially Sacre will create a gap between himself and all other 5's, partly because JH wants to be a 4 way more than a 5, Kuso has the heart but not the size or offensive skill to be a great 5, Pendo is too little, and I think Theo is too skinny and short to be a great 5 at this level.

Above all, though, I hope you all prove me wrong, there is nothing I would like better than be proved wrong about Theo. I hope he becomes the great or exceptional player you all think he will become, rather than the merely good backup player I keep arguing he is for this team, in this year.

theothegreat21
11-17-2007, 06:39 PM
I think Kuso is more then strong enough and big enough to be a very solid collegiate 5. This isnt the NBA where you need to be 7'0 and taller to be a big 5. Kuso will hold is on the defensive end against any big-man that we face throughout the season, and with the talent we have on offense all the points we will need from him will come from the points that Kuso gets through the dirty work he does. Also in no way is Theo a 3 or wing man. He is a true 4 or 5 and keep in mind that he had a foot infection earlier in the season and then was gone from the team for a while. Once he catches up with everything he has missed, I think we will see him playing a lot more

BroncoZAG615
11-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Do not forget that Theo's previous commitments and recruiters included Rick Barnes at Texas and also Iowa State. He is more than capeable and his minutes or lack of have been attributed to his personal issues and his ill timed infection. He just needs some continuity it practice.

Also, Kuso's size matches his heart as a five. He was capable last year and was the player of the game tonight! He is a perfect fit at the five spot for this team. He understands his role and is a great rebounder on a team full of shooters and slashers. I don't understand where you see Kuso not being a prototypical center.

former1dog
11-17-2007, 06:41 PM
ZagsGoZags,

I'm going to recommend you pay attention to what is going on before posting about this topic again.

Here it is, read carefully:

-Theo had a foot infection, which kept him out of practice and game 1.
-Theo's Dad had a stroke and he just flew back into town after attending to his ailing father the afternoon of game 2, he saw a few minutes after no practice time.
-Theo, I'm certain, is just starting to get his feet back under him after a tumultuous couple of weeks and a lot of missed practice time. This, I am certain has something to do with his limited playing time this evening.

Now, we'll have 4 more practice days until Thursday. We'll see how Theo does in Alaska.

Just chill.

ZagsGoZags
11-17-2007, 09:03 PM
I disagree about Kuso. His inability to play even with other Big Men was part of the reason we had a so so year. He, unlike Batista, is not a dominant or even major Center, and he is not good at making 2 pts when the ball is thrown into him, like Rony, Josh, J.P. or even Sacre already. He is all heart motivation, and I love the heck out of him, but he is not sufficient as a Center for us to penetrate very far. He must be 20 or 30 lbs bigger than Theo, though, at the same height.

I don't want to chill. I think Theo is too thin to be a great Big Man, but hope you are right, and hope I am proven wrong.

I assumed Theo was healthy and eligible physically to play in December, until the Cheney incident. But is that wrong. Was he red shirted because his injuries prevented him being able to play. I seem to remember he was discussed for playing time in November, as soon as December, like Dave Burgess.

I just can't remember for sure

Ziggy
11-17-2007, 10:43 PM
It was David Burgess and Micah Downs who became eligible in December of
'06 not Theo Davis.

ZagsGoZags
11-17-2007, 11:42 PM
So the talk in Oct about Theo getting into uniform by Dec was probably based on the hope his medical condition would change, but it never did.

It sounds like my impression that he was on the bench, ready to play in Dec 06, but Few chose not to use him is wrong

Theo looked very motivated tonight
I am sure he wants a piece of the action
Who wouldn't want to tell their kids and grandkids about the achievements of the Gonzaga Men's Basketball team of 2007-8and their part in that great adventure
I hope he gets more playing time