PDA

View Full Version : Dear Theo,

bigblahla
02-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Theo,

So much has been made of Josh's situation that it seems your plight has been lost in the shuffle. If you learn nothing from this learn that the choices you make in the company you keep will determine the life you live.

I don't think it was your idea to go to Cheney the night before a game but that doesn't make you innocent to breaking curfew or what came after.

As far as smoking ### goes well it is against the law and I'm sure that even if it wasn't coach Few would frown on it for team members. Your Bad!

Personally I've had the opportunity to watch you interact with Josh at a recent camp and I think that even though you were willing that maybe you were led astray and for that reason and that alone I think you deserve another chance.

There are leaders and there are followers. Leaders are always reponsible for where they lead.

I hope you straighten out your life and if your coach, staff and teammates are willing that you have the opportunity to reach the goal you set for yourself in coming to GU.

Go!! Zags!!!

Rubbadub
02-20-2007, 09:12 PM
I really don't think either of them is beyond redemption, even with today's news. Josh will get probation, community service, rehab if he has a problem, etc., but i would much prefer a comeback success story over putting him out of the program for good (I think most others would as well). Josh will be back next year, he will be under a microscope for the rest of his college career and he will have to work his way back into the fans' good graces, but he will be back. Theo, barring a decision to transfer, should be able to rebound and have a nice college career with GU. They'll just have to learn that they cannot slip up a second time, even a little bit. All should be well.

SportsWriter2007
02-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Josh will most likely agree to at the most six months in prison or a year or more of counselling and a lot of community service. It is funny that DA Tucker decides to take this case, including the Davis misdemeanor. Not very common.

youreachiteach
02-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Theo has been to 6 different high schools. He has de-committed from 2 D1 college basketball schools, now this. What was GU expecting? He may be a good kid, whose had it tough, and maybe just maybe he will "learn" from this, and I hope he does,but every college coach in America "freaked out" when GONZAGA started recruiting the kid let alone signing him.

Thomas_Sutpen
02-20-2007, 09:49 PM
It is funny that DA Tucker decides to take this case, including the Davis misdemeanor. Not very common.

I'm not sure what you mean by those comments. According to the Spokesman Review story (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=8848), the DA has sent the Davis case back to the Cheney PD because it was such a small amount. Is that "not very common"? Then he decides that there is enough evidence to prosecute Josh. Is that "not very common"? Finally, it is my understanding that no lead prosecutor has yet been assigned; surely it won't be the DA.

The only uncommon aspect of the case thus far, I think, is that it has been so highly publicized.

CDC84
02-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Theo has been to 6 different high schools. He has de-committed from 2 D1 college basketball schools, now this. What was GU expecting? He may be a good kid, whose had it tough, and maybe just maybe he will "learn" from this, and I hope he does,but every college coach in America "freaked out" when GONZAGA started recruiting the kid let alone signing him.

Please read this article:

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=zags03&date=20060903&query=theo+davis

Theo's nomadic past has absolutely nothing to do with this arrest. I repeat: nothing. Zilch. It's not like he went to these high schools because he was problem child or something. As a foreign prep basketball player trying to make a name for himself as a player in the States, as well as someone who dealt with some very difficult circumstances within his family, Theo's story is not that out of the ordinary. He decommitted from Texas because of a family illness, and he decommitted from Iowa State because he had to go to prep school to clear up the Canadian credits that didn't pass through the NCAA. The academic issues had to do with credits clearing....very common for foreign players. The worst thing that Theo did prior to this arrest was take the advice of the fool who directed him to that Lutheran Christian prep school. But that is hardly something I blame him for. He was a kid, and his parents up in Canada probably had no clue about what was and what wasn't a legit prep school.

I am not trying to excuse his behavior here. What he did was wrong, and frankly, if I were him I would feel bad for letting down a coaching staff that went through every hoop imaginable to get him eligible, even though his eligibility at Gonzaga wouldn't have been an issue if the NCAA had half a brain. Davis owed it the staff, much less the university, to be on his best behavior out of respect for what they did to help him out. Nonetheless, this is not some Lloyd Daniels type kid with a rap sheet who everyone knew was a problem waiting to happen. The people who felt he was a problem had absolutely no knowledge of the truth about what happened to him....as outlined in that Seattle Times story.

P.S. - no college coaches that I know of freaked out when Theo was recruited by Gonzaga. The reason why coaches stayed away from him was because of the eligibility concerns. But let's be honest...if you are North Carolina, UConn, Michigan State, etc., why go after a kid who is at a questionable prep school when you can get any top 50 player you want? Most of these schools had used up their allotment of scholarships. Gonzaga was the one top program that had a schoolie and had the patience to wait out the NCAA eligibility issues. Unfortunately, because of this arrest, lots of misinformed journalists and pundits are just going to look at the surface of his story and not the details. But that's the breaks when you do something like this...people want to concentrate on anything that they perceive as a negative.

sanfranzagsguy20
02-20-2007, 11:24 PM
awesome post there cdc...i speak for most of us when i say thanks for the complete story albeit monthes later...i knew bits and pieces about theo's situation but i knew his decommitment from some schools was not because of any trouble with the law but because of other factors which you just cleared up, at least for me...i am trying to be optimistic here and i think both could be back but as someone above said under a very large microscope...

having some more time to mull it over i feel like they should get a second chance...but we cant have anything like this happen again with either of these two..i think all of the negative publicity, team struggles and missing out on them being able to play in the postseason should be plenty of motivation for them to right the ship and finish off successful careers here at GU..but i cant speak for them...or the team for that matter...

but i believe in second chances...but they're called second chances for a reason..it is one more chance after the first....and thats it...we will see!!

Zagster
02-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Josh has been in the program for almost 3 yrs and Theo for almost a year. At what point do you throw out a member of the GU family? Before you give them a second chance? All of this is a big disappointment, but ask you self one thing, what does it mean to part of GU family? One strike you are out or now you have to follow set rules adress specially for them? Let them chose to go their own course. No free ride. GU can take the high road, put forth clear set of requirement for them to come back and let Josh & Theo step up. If they don't, then good bye and I wish them all the best. If the want to make amends then that is great. Let their actions speak in the class room and on the court.

CDC84
02-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Let me put it this way sanfran...the staff probably knew that if something ever went bad with Theo at GU, that the media spin would be a negative one based on how his past looks on the surface, or from what people took from that misleading NY Times article that spun out of control. That was the risk they took on...that any mistake he made would inflict a deeper wound and a more negative treatment than your average player would get based on his reputation, even if that reputation was based on misinformation. I am sure many hoped that the Seattle Times story would clear it up once and for all, but we already have one poorly informed reporter at Fox Sports that didn't do his homework, and consequently, he's spreading his venom to the masses:

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2007/02/10/Zags_Postseason_Streak_May_be_Over

youreachiteach
02-21-2007, 02:17 AM
When a Gonzaga assistant coach walked into Philadelphia Lutheran Academy, the whole ncaa coaching community was like are you kidding me? Clean cut Gonzaga are going after these players, to bring them to Spokane? Its one thing when Texas, Iowa St, AlaBama, Syracuse or Missouri recruits there, but Gonzaga??

I dont want to bash the kid here, Theo is a teenager, well not quite anymore, and the reality here is that he had a joint in his pocket while Josh had the shrooms in the trunk. Josh is majorly at fault while Theo used bad judgement, and got "caught". Hundreds of players smoke weed, heck some players do it outside their own practise facilities around the country. Trust me I've seen it.

Gonzaga wants to help kids like Theo, fine no problem, I can buy that. Do they desperately want to make a Final Four?? You got it right there.

The NY times may seem misleading to some, but to some coaches like Phil Martelli who lives close by, its not.

23dpg
02-21-2007, 06:11 AM
Both kids deserve a second chance, next year. But only if they both willing undergo some sort of addiction counseling and try to put their lives back together. I'm no pollyanna, but when you are out at late, the night before a game, getting high and with shrooms, well, you are more than a recreational type of user. Plus putting your enormous potential career in jeopardy all for a buzz.

I hope that both kids can come clean. Then I hope they can rejoin the team, in that order.

ExtremeJim
02-21-2007, 07:14 AM
When supposing whether either player will be back next season, I have to review what this coaching staff has done with comparable situations in the recent past:

Dustin Villapigue was mentioned in a police report about a fake ID-production ring operating near the campus, but not even charged.

Tyler Amaya was overheard to have made a racially-insensitive remark on a San Francisco sidewalk during a road-trip to play the Dons.

This same AD/coaching staff released each of those players from his commitment to play basketball for Gonzaga University in the year following his indiscretion. I would submit that this Athletic Department has a much higher standard for "conduct unbecoming the University" than the one with which you are crediting them. And before someone objects that those players were benchwarmers, while these are a star and a potential star, what better way for Few and Roth to make the point that behavior that attracts unfavorable notice to the school will not be tolerated, especially since there will be front-line help in the 2007 recruiting class that should be ready to contribute right away, or skilled guards/wings to replace Raivio should the 4-guard formula be deemed the way to continue next year?

RebornZag
02-21-2007, 11:03 AM
This is a pretty good thread with lots of great posts. I applaud everyone for well thought out posts. This is so much better then any of those that were posted right after the arrests.

I agree with everyone, that what Josh and Theo did was very serious. To think otherwise is to be in denial, which only makes the situation worse. I would take both of their scholarships away from them and tell them that they might be renewed in July if they meet certain standards that would be set up for them to meet. I would put both on probation until July 1st. During this probationary period both Josh and Theo would have to meet certain criteria or conditions that would be set up for them to meet before their scholarships are renewed. One of the conditions would be what the coaching staff, and the players wanted them back. And I believe it should be a unanimous vote. If one coach, or one player feels at that time that either Josh or Theo would be a detriment to the team, then they should not be back on the team, and lose their scholarships. These guys have let a lot of people down, but I think the people they let down the most are their coaches and teammates. And in order for them to come back and play at GU, some pretty serious amends will need to be made. And remember, making amends is not JUST saying I'm sorry, but saying that I am WILLING to change. Period.

The prognosis for addicts/alcoholics is not good. Some make it, many don't. The chances that they will reoffend are high, imo. And that is why this needs to be taken very, very seriously. It would be extremely hard on the team if this same problem occurs next year. I want Josh and Theo to get the best help possible so they can change. And I think, in this case, best means the toughest.

I feel best about the way that Gonzaga is dealing with this problem. Gonzaga is a great Catholic, Jesuit, University. I think that this situation is in excellent hands. We have opinions, and that's all they are, but I fully trust that GU will do the best thing for all concerned. It's a tough decision, and we need to pray for them (the decision makers) each and every day. And we need to pray for all those involved: Josh, Theo, Coaches & players, family and friends. So many people are affected by this. I think that so far GU and the coaches have dealt with this extremely well. I am very proud of them. They have let Josh and Theo go, and have moved on to build without them. And it is working.

roxdoc
02-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Very well put Reborn - this is one of your best.