PDA

View Full Version : Aloha Maui Invitational 2009!!

Snagglezag
11-17-2007, 10:00 AM
www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10479692

Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet. What an awesome field of teams: Arizona, Louisville, Gonzaga, Maryland, Colorado, and Wisconsin. The Maui Invitational in 2005 was truly historic if you're a Zag--the Michigan St. game being one of the greatest games I have ever seen. I have always loved this tourney, it just seems like a ton of fun. The only thing is....2009 is a long ways away, but it's certainly something to look forward to. Looks like the Zags are going to get some great exposure against prominent programs in the early going for the next two or three seasons. Old Spice Classic 2008 including: Maryland, Memphis, Ok. State, Michigan St., Gonzaga, Tennessee, and Wichita St. The future is certainly exciting, Zag fans...

CDC84
11-17-2007, 01:25 PM
What's really weird about the Old Spice Classic next season is that Gonzaga could easily end up playing Memphis and Tennessee two times in the same season.....depending on how the bracket is set up and who wins what games.

GU32
11-17-2007, 01:33 PM
I would love for the Zags to play Memphis twice a year. Just have one game in Spokane and the other in Memphis. I could see this becoming a very good rivalry. (once the Zags win a game)

ZagsGoZags
11-17-2007, 01:33 PM
it would be better for our ratings if we beat them twice
I think a lot of people east of the Rockies still think when we beat a team like NC last year it is just a fluke
if we beat some good teams twice it could raise our recruting to the top level
this was our best year, but 11th best in nation
we are known as the perennial mid-major who chokes in the NCAA, and has never been an elite 8 team, the only time being the Cinderella year way back
it is time to become known as a true top contender, that gets a championship once or twice
I think if Daye doesn't go into the NBA next year it could be the strongest GU team ever
after all, most Big Conferences play great teams twice, NBA lots of times, so maybe it won't be so bad

zagster318
11-17-2007, 01:38 PM
I think if Daye doesn't go into the NBA next year it could be the strongest GU team ever

I agree...if both Pargo and Heytvelt return next year.

dawgfather11
11-17-2007, 10:33 PM
grats guy's on getting into Maui, I know UW was trying to get into that but looks like they took Zona over us, no biggie but would have loved to head to maui to see a GU UW game!

kclubfounder
11-18-2007, 06:53 AM
Dawgfather,

Too bad you can't just wander over to Hec Ed every other year for that matchup, but your current coach is not man enough.

Zagdawg
11-18-2007, 08:01 AM
I think the uw was left out of Maui because:

A. It is not a preseason home game

B. Their competition is not the lower 10th percentile of college b-ball, div 2 or a local community college

C. The flock of chickens that romar has raised is very annoying to have on a commercial flight together

D. The committee decided on a real team out of the Pac

E. The uw and the rest of the country already know the outcome of the game if they face us

(whoops --did I write that out loud)---Just let me know if you want me to tell you how I really feel :)

GonzagaGurl08
11-18-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm looking forward to Maui. Maybe I can talk the rents in to getting tickets, it could be my graduation from GU present.

GonzagaGurl08
11-18-2007, 10:25 AM
What's really weird about the Old Spice Classic next season is that Gonzaga could easily end up playing Memphis and Tennessee two times in the same season.....depending on how the bracket is set up and who wins what games.

That would be awesome. Maybe I can get tickets to this one too. I just went to their website, and it looks like the all tournament ticket is about $90 bucks, not bad, IMO.

BTW, does anyone know of any other tourney's we will be involved in? It's always nice to see the Zags whenever possible.

MDABE80
11-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Kclub and ZagDawg:....:::::::::sigh:::::::....I think we've decided it's not the fans' fault. Let's let bygones be bygones.....forget never!....Forgive...well.....soon. Makes us look bad these billboards, taunts and such. It's just a game.
Let's be classy. Let's not insult someone who stops in to give some best wishes.

ZagManFan
11-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Hopefully we show as well as we have in the past. Here are some pics from the 2005 tournament.