PDA

View Full Version : Theo Playtime

Stache
11-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Theo looks to be in great shape, and he has the size/ability to rebound, defend and score. Are there enough minutes to allow Theo to develop this year?

tyra
11-17-2007, 08:21 AM
We need Theo to develop this year. He brings some qualities to this team that it needs to go as far as they can -- interior toughness.

Stache
11-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Where does the time come from? He has to get it now with Josh and Gray sitting out, but come league play he will have to take the time from Micah or the freshmen because Few is not going to sacrifice Pendo's time.
How athletic is a fivesome of Daye, Josh, Theo, LG and Pargo?

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-17-2007, 08:27 AM
I'd guess while JH is out there are minutes to be had for Theo as long as we're facing teams w big front lines, because I see Pendo/Daye/Downs being hard-pressed to defend a strong PF. With so many good wing players, it'll be interesting to see how/if Coach Few gives Theo minutes vs teams who are not overwhelming on the inside so TD can get some experience under his belt before we go up against the likes of UCONN. Who are other upcoming opponents w big front lines we may need Theo against?

roxdoc
11-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Theo is not a wing. He competes with Kuso, Sacre, Josh, and Pendo (and Will) in the 4/5 position. I would guess right now Few will try to bring him up to speed primarily at the expense of Sacre and Pendo.

BobZag
11-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm hoping 10-15 minutes vs UCR for Theo and Ira!.

BroncoZAG615
11-17-2007, 09:57 AM
My biggest hope for today's game is that Theo can get around 15 minutes. I know you can't judge him off that minute or so he played but he looked very comfortable and showed why he caused so much excitement on these boards during the 'mystery big man transfer' times.

Along with UConn, I think he will be of value during the Memphis especially. We need his athleticism as well as height. Memphis has Dorsey, Dozier, and Taggart all of whom are long and very athletic. As long as the injury bug stays away from Theo, I believe he will be a key in this teams run to the tournament.

btzag
11-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Bronco, that is exactly what I was thinking watching Memphis vs Uconn. We will need size/strength and athleticism to match those teams along with that Oklahoma game. They all three have some beasts and we better be able to withstand that physical play. I would also fully expect all three to come after that Daye/Pendo position and try and exploit that so Few needs to be able to counter with Theo if he is up to it. I'm sure Theo will get a nice long look from Few and the staff to find just that out.

ExtremeJim
11-17-2007, 11:42 AM
He's averaging, for his career, 65.8 points and 32.9 rebounds per 40 minutes played.

How much more production can we reasonably expect from the man? If he never stepped on the court again, those numbers would set a standard that would be very, very difficult to match.

CDC84
11-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Gonzaga really needs Theo's services....both in Alaska where the team will be playing 3 games in 3 days against quality competition, but also in the St. Joe's and UConn games, where the opposition will feature several long and athletic post players that could give GU problems.

GPGUgrad
11-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Gonzaga really needs Theo's services....both in Alaska where the team will be playing 3 games in 3 days against quality competition, but also in the St. Joe's and UConn games, where the opposition will feature several long and athletic post players that could give GU problems.

Totally agree, w/o Josh, Theo will be important. I personally, believe that he is probably hungry to play (after being out last year) and will bring it with time. Somewhat like Larry G., WOW, that was a plesant surprise!

zag67
11-17-2007, 01:46 PM
I also agree that we need Theo because he seems to be a tall athelete that knows how to work around the boards. I think that this might free Pendo up to go back to playing more at a three and not have to guard as many of the taller forwards. I do see Coach having many options depending on the type of team (speedy guards, tall athetes, tall and slow, great 3 point shooters, etc.).

After watching Oklahoma, Conn., and Memphis, I would have to say they are all good teams. But I think that we have as many atheletes to throw at them and therefore able to run them. At the 4/5 we have Theo, Sacre, Josh (when he is back), Foster,and Kuso. At the 2/3/4 we have Daye, LG, Pendo, Micah, Gray (when he is back), Matt and Ira. Then at the 1 we have Pargo, with Matt giving some rest. Of those teams that played against Memphis, I think we are better able to stay with them than either of those two. But I do have to say, they are good and deserve the high ranking (their hardest problems are going to be to work together as a team on both ends of the floor). But they do know how to put pressure on bringing the ball up the court.