PDA

View Full Version : He is probably right

MickMick
11-16-2007, 11:45 PM
After a dozen or so Zag turnovers in just one half:

Brooks, who came to Idaho after playing on two junior college championship teams, said the Cougars appeared to be a bit better than Gonzaga.

"I think WSU is a little tighter. They know how to get their shots. They know who to get the ball to," he said.

The Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=273200265)

Nevtelen
11-17-2007, 09:20 AM
After a dozen or so Zag turnovers in just one half:

The Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=273200265)

That's what happens when pretty much all your major pieces return off a very cohesive team. WSU will be tough this year, that's for sure.

VinnyZag
11-17-2007, 09:44 AM
In fairness, Brooks didn't see Gonzaga with all its pieces. His opinion might've been different if Heytvelt and Gray were playing.
In any case, we'll find out Dec. 5.

BobZag
11-17-2007, 09:49 AM
WSU is juniors and seniors. Zags' leading scorer and rebounder is a frosh. I said before, this team will take a bit longer to reach their zenith, but when they do, look out.

Btw, 99% of time: the team that a player just played against will seem better to that player than the previous team. Same for coaches, though coaches usually filter what they tell the media.

MDABE80
11-17-2007, 10:03 AM
He's right. Those 2 guards have played together for years. Bennett's system is a very controlled system and is very regimented. Few's is more wide open and fee wheeling. Lot's of sets.........among the most in college basketball. I agree with BZ though. Once GU's guards work into the season, they'll be tighter. It's a balanced offense here at GU because of the personel we have.

We go to the big guys more. Right now, the Cougs don't have our options down low. Give it half a season and this team will show why balance between the front and back courts is so important.....just my opinion..

FuManShoes
11-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Hate to nitpick, Doc, but I think the Cougs' bigs are bigger scoring threats than Kuso/Sacre (Baynes was the "go-to" guy last night against Idaho.) Also, what I've seen so far is that GU is relying far more on individual playmaking and transition buckets than they usually do, probably due to the new faces out there, the lack of a post scorer and the relative shooting woes from the perimeter. I can see why Brooks might think GU won its game on athleticism and scrappiness, while WSU looked like a more refined machine. I think it's a valid assessment and the Zags may not be as technically proficient running their offense until later this year when the new guys have it down and Heyt's back. But hey, even if the team can do no more than keep forcing turnovers and running down the court for dunks and put-backs, I'm happy.

MDABE80
11-17-2007, 10:52 AM
FU.....you've amplified and extended my thoughts. Well done;) ALthought it might be a bit early to begin a "how to beat WSU" thread, it'll come. Baynes is effective as a big man. We do have lots of bigs too....not just Josh. Baynes is a hoss and we'll have to figure him out. I think I know how to approach this game.
Needless to say though, it only stand to reason that a guard for Idaho would be impress by 2 AA's working the guard spots against him. My thought was regaurding the whole team.; If GU can control those guards, down low we do have certain advantages not named Josh. Rebounding hasn't been a problem for the Zags so far. SO it comes down to who have a better offense down low.
Matching up guards play, I'm not sure why I think we aren't on the short end of the stick. I do though. AA is just a designation. Does anyone think Pargo is over his head when it comes to Low? How about LG and Weaver? Or Matt?
For some reason, I do think we'll be fine in a very tough game. We might not win it but it'll be a much closer game than last year. We have options this year we just didn't have in 2006.
The whole Zag team is better.......even now with or without Josh. Time always tells. GU hasn't played a really hard team so far. More will be revealed in Alaska.

Reborn
11-17-2007, 02:25 PM
I would be careful of what I said that could be construed as negative against the Zags when the Zag Starters held the Vandals to 8 pts the second half and just 2 pts in a 30-2 run (I'd call that a good ol' fashion whoopin).

Just for your information: The Zags will defeat WSU in K2 even without Josh.....Zags will NOT be denied.

MickMick
11-17-2007, 02:34 PM
If we turn the ball over against WSU we are cooked goose. They limit the number of possessions you get. Every one of them is precious. Every one has to count.

We can survive some missed shots. We can't survive charity with the ball.

How the squad deals with Butler will tell us if they can handle the Cougs.

Zag79
11-17-2007, 02:36 PM
after watching wsu against idaho, wsu against ewu, and the zags against montana and idaho ill say wsu looks good but i am more impressed with gonzaga. our bigs are get the check, our mid range game gets the check, our guard play is good enough to push lowe and opie to their limits, and our depth is way better. i know im biased but wsu hasnt impressed me at all yet.