PDA

View Full Version : UConn-Memphis

MickMick
11-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Watching the game I have a few observations at the half (UConn leads by 1).

1) As good as Rose is, he looks out of control at times and turns the ball over more than he should. Regardless, he is quite good at attacking the rim. Gurganus guarding Rose will be a game within a game....well worth the price of admission.

2) The big center for UConn, 7'3" Thabeet seems to struggle offensively. I don't see him providing a significant edge at the post against the Zags. Similar to Will, though, he will make people altar their shot.

3) When Memphis sat Dorsey with 3 fouls, they changed. The inside game, the rebounding, and overall intensity seemed to fall off dramatically. A real key for the Zags may be putting offensive pressue on Dorsey to get him in foul trouble.

4) The power forward for UConn, Adrein, is a superb athlete. He looks like he is gonna be a handful for the Zags.

KSTATEZAG
11-16-2007, 06:39 PM
I agree with all those thoughts.
Also, Memphis is a team that seems on the brink of implosion at any time. There was one stretch in the first half where it seemed like the wheels were starting to come off ( a couple techs, alot of angry looks). I think if we can frustrate them with blanket defense they will break apart as a team.

Just an observation but it looks like Dorsey is willing to initiate the team implosion if he starts to get frustrated.

Speaking of Dorsey--wonder if Sacre will get "beasted" this year like undersized Pendo did last year.

Also, Rose is good but is totally out of control....some of those shots can only be made by Adam Morrison.

and Finally, I think we are deeper than Memphis with a healthy squad. Like Pargo says...we have two 5 man rotations.

kitzbuel
11-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Their rebounding kept them in the game during that rough stretch at the beginning of the second half. Hashim Bailey has been complimenting Dorsey very well and is a beast inside.

kitzbuel
11-16-2007, 07:00 PM
How did Dorsey block that shot without fouling!? Wow!

MickMick
11-16-2007, 07:04 PM
That Dyson kid for UConn is gonna be trouble for the Zags. Ultra quick and can finish.

ZaggyStardust
11-16-2007, 07:11 PM
That Dyson kid for UConn is gonna be trouble for the Zags. Ultra quick and can finish.

Nah - we'll just sick Larry G on him!!!!!

tyra
11-16-2007, 09:00 PM
If LG guards Rose, who guards Douglas-Roberts who killed UConn tonight, and as I recall, did no small amount of damage to us last year?

MickMick
11-16-2007, 09:15 PM
If LG guards Rose, who guards Douglas-Roberts who killed UConn tonight, and as I recall, did no small amount of damage to us last year?

I like Daye's length. I think he can cause problems defensively. Zags really have to get back quickly in this game. I think Zags can take em.

CDC84
11-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Until I see differently, Chris Douglas-Roberts is CDC's leading candidate for player of the year. He's probably my favorite player in all of college ball right now that doesn't wear a Gonzaga uniform.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't a finalist for any postseason award. The media is just not enamored with him for some reason. I guess he doesn't make enough Sportscenter highlight reel plays or display the kind of over the top emotion on the floor that will get Dicky V dancing on his chair.

All I know is that he makes plays when it matters. Just like he did against Gonzaga last year, and just like he did tonight.

CDR is an old school guy who uses his basketball intelligence to read defenses and create offensive angles that can be used to his advantage. He's athletic, but nowhere near as athletic as most of his teammates. But he uses those angles to twist his body into a pretzel to get shots off in traffic that you would think no one could get off. He did that time and again in the 2nd half, evading UConn's tall frontline players and long wing defenders. There really isn't a player like him in the college game, which is why he is so hard to defend.

I've always wondered if he practices yoga or something. He's like Gumby out there....always flexible.

tyra
11-16-2007, 09:39 PM
I thought tonight's game was incredibly physical, not just in the contact sense but in terms of the pace both teams kept up all night. I don't know if it was Dickie V's shrillness or the game pace but it tired me out. I think we are going to need our depth and the revolving fresh legs for them this year.

BroncoZAG615
11-16-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm just really glad that Jeremy Hunt is gone for Memphis. He hit some big 3's on us last year that really hurt. I think the key for our game with them will be Kuso. He really has to avoid the early binge of fouls and be able to stay on the floor with Dorsey. I hope by that time Rob is comfortable in the mix but if Kuso gets in foul trouble it will be a long day.

I think on paper the game is a pick em', it just depends who has the hot hand and probably who has the last posession.

sittingon50
11-16-2007, 10:00 PM
The game is there; it won't be a pick em'.

Zagpower
11-17-2007, 08:28 AM
Any comments on Memphis' offense? Rarely was there more than two passes before running an isolation play. After hearing Calipari's description of their offense this year, I paid closer attention and it is unlike any other in college.

It appears to be based on one-on-one plays with everyone else crashing the boards.

Nevtelen
11-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Any comments on Memphis' offense? Rarely was there more than two passes before running an isolation play. After hearing Calipari's description of their offense this year, I paid closer attention and it is unlike any other in college.

It appears to be based on one-on-one plays with everyone else crashing the boards.

Although the speed, etc is totally different, the lack of passing and isolation plays reminded me a little of Temple under Cheney. He used to run tons of isolations, too, with the rest of the guys boarding. They weren't nearly as fast as Memphis, but a similar idea.

CDC84
11-17-2007, 01:31 PM
After hearing Calipari's description of their offense this year, I paid closer attention and it is unlike any other in college.

Memphis is unlike any team in college in that they have had the single most athletic team in the nation the past 3 seasons. Everything that Calipari does is designed to punish teams with their athleticism.

What would be scary is if Memphis had a couple of lights out 3 point shooters who were still athletic enough to play in their system. I'm talking about consistent, 43%+ type shooters. They really don't have that now. If they had that this year, you might be able to just write them in as your national champ right now.