PDA

View Full Version : Its surprising how basics are ignored.

HillBillyZag
11-16-2007, 11:46 AM
The Zags are my true love and College hoops is my passion. Needless to say, I have watched about every game ESPN or the deuce has carried so far. Several things stand out, , it amazes me when I see young men with all of the athleticism and talent in the world failing to do the little things that create wins. IMHO several of the most evident lacks (not in order of importance) are the following: #1. failure to follow your shot, especially against a zone,allows the opposition to get rebounds with minimum effort. #2.Too much dribbling, if you're not going to the hole, keep moving the ball, someone will be open. #3. failure to move without the ball, if you can't get open, you cannot receive a pass or contribute to the offense.#4. Keeping your hands up if you are playing zone defense, you won't believe how may passing lanes are closed and shots denied by this most simple of actions. Also, how many times do you see Bigs grabbing a board or receiving a pass and bringing the ball down,where a 6'10" player is tied up or ball is stolen by a 5'10" guard. I know the game has changed since I played or coached, but when I see these basics being ignored even by guys who are good enough to play at the next level, it drives me up a wall. Errors like the above result in a lot of losses when all is said and done.

RenoZag
11-16-2007, 12:10 PM
I doubt Memphis & U Conn will be very stellar tonight either, Hill. . .good observations !

zag944
11-19-2007, 03:45 PM
I would advise you not to watch the NBA then, where the same errors are very common.

When ameteurs make such mistakes, it doesn't bother me much....but lets just say I watch about a tenth as many NBA games as I did 10 years ago.