• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRhyno
    Bulldog Fan
    • Oct 2007

Memphis Game

Did anyone watch the Memphis game vs Oklahoma last night? If so, how well did Memphis play? Did they look tough?
  • AnonyMoose
    Kennel Club Material
    • Oct 2007

Memphis did well, Calapari really wanted that Calhoun matchup

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Re:

The game was an ugly game, but Memphis did what they needed to do to win. The Sooners used a variety defenses - and a lot of zone - to slow down the Tigers since it was really the only way they could win the game. It clearly frustrated the Tigers, but their playmakers made plays, and Memphis' defense was stifling. Dorsey had 5 blocks, and they a great job on Blake Griffin, holding him to 8 points on 3-9 shooting.

Personally, I think the fact that Memphis was able to win a game like that really shows that they are a versatile team that has the capability to deal with teams that play a style or employ a game strategy that isn't Memphis-friendly.

Derrick Rose didn't have the best of games: 4-12 from the field with 4 TO's and 3 assists. His inexperience showed....he was trying to force up shots and do anything to speed the game up. No matter how talented a young player may be, freshmen are still freshmen at times.

BTW....I don't think Memphis is going to have any issues with UConn.

Comment

• JLGutrocks
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Both teams played very well for november, niether looked stunning, but both showed that they have tons of potential. The OU game is far from in the bag.

Memphis is very deep. Something we haven't seen as of yet.
        “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.” ~Jack Handey~

Comment

• AnonyMoose
          Kennel Club Material
          • Oct 2007

Sure Rose didn't play his best, but I hope he plays less than he did last night (17 pts 5 rebounds)

Comment

• rennis
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

It goes without saying, but Memphis is very deep. Very talented. Very big.

They played sloppy yesterday and still had an impressive win over a good program.

We'll have to bring our A game to Memphis this year or we could get crushed. We'll need Heytvelt if we want to play with Dorsey and D-Rob.
            Originally posted by Coach Few
            We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• BobZag
              Dark Lord of the Zag
              • Jan 2007

I wasn't impressed.
              The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• rennis
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                I wasn't impressed.
                Really? I wasn't impressed with their execution or savvy, but talent and skill-wise I don't think there is a better team in the country.
                Originally posted by Coach Few
                We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• AllezZags
                  Bulldog Fan
                  • Feb 2007

thanks Bob....

...for posting that.

I wasn't all that impressed either. It's like Cal just rolled the ball out to Rose and told him to play. I was not impressed with the game plan.

that said, they are pretty much chock full of amazing cagers that will win a ton of games with sheer athleticism.
                  AllezZags!

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                    • Feb 2007

Neither was I. Defensively I think Memphis could be suspect to a good 3 point shooting team. OU certainly passed up on a ton of outside shots IMHO. The interior defense was solid as a rock though. Penetrating the lane is going to be tough against them. Depending on who is reffing the game, their aggressiveness in the paint could get them in trouble. I felt that the refs were really letting a lot go.

OU - doesn't seem to have much in terms of a perimeter game. I thought that they had many opportunities in the second half that they just plain did nothing with and kept trying to drive the lane into a forest of Memphis players. It won't be a cakewalk, but I see them having a tough time matching up against our size down low.
                    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• pbriz
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Apr 2007

Memphis defense...

is stifling. Very hard to drive the lane when Dorsey is in the game. Dorsey is just a complete beast inside and had his way with Griffin for most of the game. Also, Memphis is just so athletic that the on-ball pressure and rebounding they have is outstanding.

Rose didn't show everything last night, but at times he was unstoppable. A very good team, easily the best in the nation if they learn how to convert consistently on free-throws. That is their achilles heel.
                      It's F4 or bust.

Comment

• cjm720
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by rennis View Post
                        Really? I wasn't impressed with their execution or savvy, but talent and skill-wise I don't think there is a better team in the country.
                        Bingo...we're gonna have a tough time against Memphis this year.
                        Go Zags!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X