PDA

View Full Version : Meech Update

htownzagfan
11-15-2007, 08:45 PM
In their first game of the McDonalds Texas Invitational, Meech and the Klein Collins Tigers won by 22 points over top ten West Monroe HS out of Louisiana. At first I didn't think Meech played all that well but after talking with the Coach and reflecting alittle more on the game, I discovered that Meech was only 1 rebound away from a triple double. He finished with 12 points, 9 boards, and 10 assists. He did everything he does best - run a team and win...guys get excited because this kid is the real deal...He got his teammates any shot they wanted and could get in the lane whenever he pleased drawing defenders and setting up his teammates. Will keep you updated

GO ZAGS!!!!!

TM27
11-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Good stuff HTown...keep em coming!

LAZAGFAN11
11-15-2007, 08:58 PM
WOW, 10 assists.

This kid is gonna be great with all the shooters we have on the team. I'm stoked!!

Nevtelen
11-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Speed in the open court and ability to get the ball to all our myriad weapons... Meech should make some noise at GU, that's for sure!

ZagNative
11-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Htownzagfan, thank you so much for the personal report! We'll look forward to your checking in through the season.

I googled the news for Klein Collins and came up with this report from the Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5293735.html), which seems to be dated November 12, 2007, including Meech in the First Team Greater Houston team. I'm puzzled, because these types of team selections are usually made at year end. What am I missing?

It says of Meech:

DEMETRI GOODSON

School: Klein Collins. Class: Senior. Position: Guard. Height: 5-11. Notable: Has excellent court vision at the point (seven assists per game last season) but gets it done elsewhere, too. He was the top scorer (13 points per game) and rebounder (five rebounds per game) in leading the Tigers to the Region II-5A tournament. Ranked sixth in the state by Texas Hoops.

Thanks again!

lawzag
11-16-2007, 07:30 AM
great report htown! thanks!
please keep us posted throughout the season! :)

theothegreat21
11-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Wow...what a great way to kick off his season. Thats so impressive for a high school point guard to control a game like that and have 10 assists. He is going to be a fun player to watch for years to come

HillBillyZag
11-16-2007, 12:17 PM
I wonder would it be possible, or even legal, to put G.G. & Meetch on a few of the same AAU Tourney teams and get them familiar with each other? I would love to see it,I've seen Gibbs play live, and from the films and the comments by you posters, it would be something to see.

tyra
11-16-2007, 06:05 PM
I want to add my thanks to the others for your update on Meech. Fans on this Board LOVE updates like that and it is much appreciated!

kitzbuel
11-16-2007, 06:57 PM
http://blogs.news.com.au/images/uploads/528669053_m_thumb.jpg

htownzagfan
11-16-2007, 07:48 PM
What can I say other than Meech came to play today - his team played Richardson Pearce - a tough experienced playoff team from the Dallas area- once again when his team needed him Meech TOOK OVER...he finished with 22 points and 7 assists in leading his team to a tough fought victory over a very good team to send his squad to the semifinals...In the semis tonight Klein Collins faced Cy-Springs (top 10 in the state) a team that has quite a bit of talent with a 6'8 junior committed to Marquette and 6'5 senior shooting guard Phillip McDonald - to give you guys an idea about this kid - he is number 85 in Rivals 150 and is committed to New Mexico but had an offer from Kansas. From the moment the game tipped off Meech locked the bigger McDonald down and held him to just 2 free throws(which he got while Meech was getting a quick breath). Meech had 15 in the first half and by halftime the game was pretty much over...Meech finished with 15 points and about 8 assists as he got to rest for a good part of the second half to prepare for the Championship tomorrow....will keep you guys updated....GO ZAGS!!!

ZagNative
11-16-2007, 07:52 PM
WOW!!!!

Thanks for the super reporting. It's going to be a great year with you spying for us down south!

sittingon50
11-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks Htown. Appreciated.

MickMick
11-16-2007, 09:13 PM
I wonder how much his stock will rise. Sure glad the LOI is signed. Seems he really wanted to be a Zag anyways.

Am I dreaming? How are these great players falling into our lap?

Nevtelen
11-16-2007, 10:45 PM
That's what Few and Co are famous for - getting big-time guys before they blow up. Time will of course tell if any of next year's freshman will really blow up at GU, but it looks pretty good for Meech so far! I also like the "lockdown"-with the team playing D like it is, that'll undoubtedly be a great asset.

ZigZagSoCal
11-16-2007, 10:53 PM
fantastic news ~ thanks htown!!! as if the future isn't already bright enough...:D

ZagNative
11-18-2007, 11:47 PM
From th Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/5312446.html) tonight, nominated for Athlete of the week:

Demetri Goodson, Klein Collins The senior guard scored a team-high 16 points to lead the Tigers to a 56-49 win over Hightower in the championship game of the McDonald's Texas Invitational. Goodson was named the most valuable player of the tournament.

Congrats to Meech! 48 teams participated in the event, so it's huge that he comes out as the MVP after leading his team to the championship.

We need more pics of Meech! Here's one someone posted earlier:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/demetrigoodson1fromHoustonSelectsit.jpg

MickMick
11-19-2007, 04:21 AM
A point guard for the state champion = guy that knows how to win
MVP out of 48 teams, he is gonna be a great Zag!

ZagManFan
11-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Drooling at the thought of Meech and LG on the floor at the same time.:drool:

lawzag
11-19-2007, 07:35 AM
cute pic of Meech - looks like he's about 12 years old.
next year people are going to begin wondering if we are recruiting Jr. High kids when they see Daye & Meech on the floor at the same time

tyra
11-19-2007, 07:55 AM
:lmao:

gonza
11-19-2007, 08:20 AM
No need to dig at Rotnei !!
Did he ever commit?

former1dog
11-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Rotnei Who?
:lmao:

-1 :mad:

Rubbadub
11-19-2007, 08:37 AM
No need to dig at Rotnei !!
Did he ever commit?

It's between Arkansas, OK ST and ORU

BobZag
11-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Phillip McDonald is a very highly regarded SG who, like htown said, could've gone to a number of high major powers but loved Steve Alford at UNM. For Meech to lock him down like that is impressive, to say the least.

Meech = True PG. I'm glad Few moved on this kid. Both he and Gibbs wanted to be Zags from the get-go, similar to Stockton, Pendo, Osweiler...