PDA

View Full Version : And Now, Substituting for Fr. Tony...

Angelo Roncalli
11-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Fr. Rick Ganz. Of course, no one can fill Tony's "chair," but Fr. Ganz is a great choice to step into his shoes.

http://media.www.gonzagabulletin.com/media/storage/paper375/news/2007/11/16/News/Ganz-Named.Chaplain.Of.Mens.Basketball.Team-3105925.shtml?reffeature=htmlemailedition

MedZag
11-15-2007, 06:28 PM
I was fortunate enough to have Fr. Ganz as a teacher and mentor in both high school at Jesuit High in Portland and in college at Gonzaga.

Hands down the most incredible man I have ever had to pleasure of knowing. Words truly cannot do him justice, and everyone who has met him surely know what I'm talking about. The guy simply has an aura about him.

brasszag
11-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Excellent news - very, very good to hear.

I think it's a good way of (re)establishing that GU's spiritual and educational mission coincides with it's basketball "mission."

gamagin
11-15-2007, 07:15 PM
sitting on the east end of the bench during the MT game, but didn't give it much thought. It looked normal.

I think Fr. Tony would approve. Great guy.

To be continued . . .

ZagNative
11-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Does anyone know if they still have "Theology on Tap" at Jack and Dan's?

There was a great story about it here, (http://www.companysj.com/v243/theologyontap.htm) last year I think, featuring Father Ganz. Seemed like such a great idea and just sounded like a lot of fun.

http://www.companysj.com/v243/theologyontap-title.jpg

Close-up of Father Ganz:

http://www.companysj.com/v243/theology-ganz.jpg
"Fr. Rick Ganz, SJ, director of campus ministry at Gonzaga University,
has been gathering students at Spokane watering holes since 2004
for talks on spirituality and theology. It's a nontraditional way of
keeping young adults in touch with the Church."

GonzagaGurl08
11-15-2007, 07:48 PM
ZagNative. They do have Theology on Tap. I have yet to go to one because of basketball games, but I will hopefully make it before the end of the year.

Fr. Ganz is a great guy to have as team chaplain. He is great with words, not to mention a really down to earth guy. Let's hope he can keep up where Fr. Tony left off. After all it was Fr. Tony that said "To be continued...", the torch has been passed and the legacy continues.

Ezag
11-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Fr Ganz is a great spiritual advisor, great person and super cool guy -- he listens to Pink Floyd so need I say more!

mendiant
11-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Fabulous, I attended a couple of the Theology on Tap sessions at J and D two years ago.

Fr Gans mediated well...great guy to carry on Fr Tony's position.

The chair has been empty WAY too long...thank you Fr Ganz.

DoggieDogpound
11-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Excellent news - very, very good to hear.

I think it's a good way of (re)establishing that GU's spiritual and educational mission coincides with it's basketball "mission."

I fully agree - this is very good news.

MBZags
11-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Father Ganz is such a nice, kind guy. He's the chaplain in our dorm and always says hello to me when he sees me. At a hall meeting, he was hilarious with all his jokes. Awesome man.

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
11-15-2007, 10:04 PM
He married me..after all....

But I think it speaks volumes to the Jesuit and Catholic community to have collar on the bench. As a Catholic and GU grad, I think it makes a statement to let the world know on tv and in person that GU is a Catholic, Jesuit school and the values and faith that they and most of us believe are part of that tradition.

Here's to Collars on the Bench! I know F. Tony would approve, in fact he's in heaven praying for all of us alums, players, and students right now!

LongIslandZagFan
11-16-2007, 06:00 AM
he listens to Pink Floyd...

That is all you had to say. He is good in my book on that alone.

Nobody can replace Fr. Tony, but I think the men's team has been missing something for the last 5 years by not having a full-time chaplain. This is most assuredly a positive step. I read awhile back, can't remember where but perhaps it was in the GU Quarterly, about Sister Laura Michels work with the baseball team. Wish I could remember where that was so I could link to it. But she seems to have had a great impact on that team and I think a little spiritual guidance on the bench would help tremendously.

I guess I can stop wishing... it was in this Summer's Quarterly (http://www.gonzaga.edu/Campus+Resources/Offices+and+Services+A-Z/MarketingandCommunications/GU-Life/PDFs/GQSummer2007.pdf)...

former1dog
11-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Welcome to the bench Fr. Ganz. I've been waiting for this for a long time and I'm very happy that we've but the Jesuit face back onto the public image of Gonzaga University.

CDC84
11-16-2007, 07:51 AM
It would be nice to have Fr. Ganz travel with the team like Fr. Tony did, but from what I can gather (maybe I am wrong), he will only be at Zag home games.

Fr. Tony's spiritual guidance always came in handy during Zag road games in front of hostile crowds :o

GonzagaLove
11-16-2007, 09:31 AM
I worked for Fr. Ganz's dad, Dr. Richard Ganz, during my four years at Gonzaga. It was just odd jobs around the house a few hours per week, but enough money for beer on the weekends. He was a really nice man and passed away several years ago. Fr. Ganz is the spitting image of his dad.