PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Feeders Rejoice!

BobZag
11-15-2007, 02:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3110361

Might as well f*** the regular season and invite all teams to the postseason.

RenoZag
11-15-2007, 02:35 PM
If someone thinks there are $$ to be had, common sense goes out the window

zagsballer
11-15-2007, 02:42 PM
I like what a reporter on ESPN said about it this morning.. Cant remember who it was... anyway,

"congrats to the winner of the new tourney, you get 97th place!!"

So true. If you didn't make it to the NCAA or the NIT then you are fighting to be the best of the not-so-good teams. Its like losing your first two games at hoopfest, then winning your next two and getting a shirt that says "King of the Losers"

JAGzag
11-15-2007, 02:46 PM
"There will now be 113 Division I teams playing postseason basketball."

I guess there no more reason to complain about a 3-6 seed!!

mendiant
11-15-2007, 02:49 PM
If this were an option for UW las year, do you think they wuold have accepted the invitation?

Mrs Incredible: "Everyone is special Dash!"

Dash: "Which is just another way to say no one is." <pout>

CDC84
11-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Part of the reason why this group is getting away with this is (or so they think) is because of the way the NCAA has restructured the NIT. The NCAA has made it a rule that if you win your regular season conference championship, you are guaranteed a spot in the NIT should you lose in your league tourney or fail to get a NCAA at large bid. It's mainly to allow teams from the smaller conferences that win their league but who start off the season with 13 straight road games against BCS teams (riding in buses) a chance to play in the postseason....which I think most people think is a good idea. What this group is banking on is having a bunch of mediocre BCS teams to choose from that were bypassed because of how the NIT has been restructured.

SWZag
11-15-2007, 03:27 PM
If this were an option for UW las year, do you think they wuold have accepted the invitation?

Good question! Would anybody accept? I know teams have turned down the NIT (No names jump out at me, but I know it's been done), and that is even above this new one. Interesting.

When I first heard that there was another tourney, I figured "how sad would that be." In this world we live in where everyone has to be a "winner," I guess I'm not too surprised. I know I wouldn't feel good about winning this tourney!

SWZag

AnonyMoose
11-15-2007, 03:29 PM
This is like the BCS offering the Toilet Bowl:lmao:

FUND IT!

TheBeast
11-15-2007, 03:38 PM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p277/loupismcw/PARTICIPANT1.jpg

AnonyMoose
11-15-2007, 03:40 PM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p277/loupismcw/PARTICIPANT1.jpg

:lmao:

VinnyZag
11-15-2007, 03:41 PM
First off, almost every team already DOES play in the postseason, with the exception of Ivy League schools. They're called conference tournaments.

Second, it's worth noting that this new tournament's stated aim is to compete with the NIT. They're hoping to get marginal teams to turn down the NIT to play in the 16-team event. Who knows if that'll happen, but I suppose if there's more money involved ...

AnonyMoose
11-15-2007, 03:46 PM
"Everybody deserves trophies, it is just that some get bigger ones..."

lothar98zag
11-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Didn't Yoda say something about this?

"Try", or "try not". There is no "do".

kitzbuel
11-15-2007, 05:14 PM
I finally got the scoop on BZ for once! :) :D

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=6822

whatazag
11-15-2007, 09:19 PM
15 years ago everyone on this board wouldn't have this attitude about another post season tourney. Some of us would just be happy to get the chance to see the Zags play more basketball if they didn't win the WCC tourney. I don't think the winner of the NIT has to hang their heads and feel like the 66th best team. Often times the winner of the NIT would have gone far in the NCAA, same could happen with this one.

(Agree about the complaint about how we live in an era where everyone has to feel like a winner though)

LongIslandZagFan
11-16-2007, 05:49 AM
Didn't Yoda say something about this?

Sorry, going to have go all Star Wars geek on you... it is:

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.Here endeth the lesson.

May the force be with you padawan learner.

But I digress... Now fully 1/3rd of all college hoops plays on into April? Honestly, look at the middle 1/3rd of most conferences. That tourney is going to be for the low majors almost exclusively. I would hope that the WCC teams that don't make the NCAA or NIT would have the common sense to say no to this garbage.

7ICoug
11-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Good question! Would anybody accept? I know teams have turned down the NIT (No names jump out at me, but I know it's been done)

SWZag

Air Force but it upset the coach and he found a new job

7ICoug
11-16-2007, 07:10 AM

Mrs Incredible: "Everyone is special Dash!"

Dash: "Which is just another way to say no one is." <pout>

No doubt they would have. Has Notre Dame ever opted out of a Bowl Game?

AnonyMoose
11-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Has Notre Dame ever deserved a bowl game :D

Frazzle
11-16-2007, 08:08 AM
I heard that Lorenzo Romar and the Huskies are behind this new tourney. They really, really want to make the postseason.:D

rennis
11-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Its like losing your first two games at hoopfest, then winning your next two and getting a shirt that says "King of the Losers"

I have always wanted to earn one of those...

This third tournament is lame. It's like adding another Bowl series for sub .500 college football teams. Why?

sittingon50
11-16-2007, 09:18 AM
you are correct but you left out an important bit of info. The huskies will play ONLY at home.

lothar98zag
11-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Quote:

Quote:
Do... or do not. There is no try.

Can you see how I switched it around to fit the theme of this thread?

trying is good enough, don't have to do anything...

eh. maybe a ;) in the original post would have helped... oh well...