PDA

View Full Version : Osweiler is now 6'9" and 225 lbs

BobZag
02-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Could hit 6'10" before he graduates high school. :)

brasszag
02-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Sounds like he'll be a devastating PF for us - and with his football background I think if someone wants to try and draw a foul, they're going to have to make sure he's got some buddys to pick him up after he extracts himself from the photographers.

As long as he keeps his head together about his goals... looking forward to him suiting up.

tyra
02-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Brock had his front row seat for the Portland game. Glad to see him exposed to the very best of Zags!

sleepyzag
02-21-2007, 12:46 AM
how's his basketball season going? anyone seen him play?

FlatheadZag
02-21-2007, 06:55 AM
I've seen him play several times this season. Right now his game is pretty limited, 5 feet and in. I keep telling myself that he is only a high school sophomore, so if he continually works on his game, he should be much improved over his last two years of high school. He has picked up his offensive game lately however by scoring 27 and 30 in the last two games. Gonzaga's big concern should be that he is an outstanding quarterback prospect. With his size and throwing ability, big-time football schools are going to come after him. It will be interesting beginning next season to see if he concentrates on one sport. His high school (Flathead) is splitting into two schools next year, Glacier Wolfpack being the new school.

tyra
02-21-2007, 07:17 AM
Which position does Brock play now and which is he best suited for? Seems like true back-to-the-basket quality centers are harder to find than power forwards.

NanookZag
02-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Before the game and before the team hit the floor, Micah was shooting, and as he ran out the tunnel, he ran over to Brock and snagged some of his popcorn. Nice to see the current guys and the future guys interacting.

CDC84
02-21-2007, 07:54 AM
With his size and throwing ability, big-time football schools are going to come after him. It will be interesting beginning next season to see if he concentrates on one sport.

It is to my understanding that he is 100% committed to playing basketball at Gonzaga, no matter how well he does in football. But yes, it is something I wonder about because kids can change their mind. That being said, Brock is a very, very mature kid for his age. He strikes me as a kid that makes a decision and sticks with it.

I keep saying this, but the biggest problem Osweiler faces is that his high school team has poor guard play, which really becomes evident when they are playing someone good. He's a true blue low post big man that needs touches down in the low blocks. But if the guards can't deliver him a pass, much less get the ball up the floor, it is really, really hard for him to develop his skills. It's the same with Robert Sacre. If you put Sacre on Jordan Theodore's high school team, he would be further along than he is right now from an offensive standpoint. The development of offensive skills for prep big men is often directly related to the quality of the guards they play with. I mean, guys like Austin Daye have the versatility to operate all over the floor...so it doesn't really matter how good his backcourt teammates are. Allthough, based on what I've seen, Austin has much better guards around him.

FlatheadZag
02-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Brock is a power forward that is required to play post most of the time. He has enought athleticism to play small forward as well. You're right about the guard play on his team. As much as I love my home state of Montana, the quality of play at the high school isn't as good as other more populated states. Hopefully, he will continue to play a lot of summer ball (AAU- summer tourneys) with talented guard play.

BSUZagVike
02-21-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm pretty sure that he will not be playing football. How many 6'10 quarterbacks do you know of in college football? None that I'm aware of.

CDC84
02-21-2007, 08:36 AM
When I saw him play in person back in early December, his guards must have turned the ball over 30 times, minimum. It was embarrassing. He was so desperate to get touches that he had to operate on the perimeter, which is not his strong area. He picked up a few charges, etc. I suppose you could say that having poor guard play will help him develop his perimeter skills more.

Unfortunately, I don't know how much skill development he is going to get through AAU ball. All they do in club basketball is play games like crazy and travel. Some of the teams have guards who just chuck up shots all the time, hoping to get noticed by college coaches. It's better than nothing though...at least he might be paired with a decent point man.

I would imagine that Coach Febach at Flathead is working with him a lot in practice. Brock is a regular at GU camp...that will help as well.

mtzaga
02-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Brock is not the biggest person in the team picture. Flathead's assistant coach Daren Engellant is 6'11". He played for Montana in the early 90s and then professionally in Europe. He was a good one.

http://www.sd5.k12.mt.us/fhs/act/bballb/06-07season/roster.html

1973Zag
02-22-2007, 10:21 AM
not to knock Montana athletics, but with his hugwe potential, has Brock ever considered moving to a more competetive venue(ala Steven Gray)? Spokane would sure be convenient

BobZag
02-22-2007, 10:33 AM
It's been considered but only briefly. All of Brock's friends are in Kalispell and he enjoys it a lot. A move to Spokane based solely on hoops doesn't fly. His game will expand as he plays more and more summer ball at GU camps.

former1dog
02-22-2007, 12:10 PM
not to knock Montana athletics, but with his hugwe potential, has Brock ever considered moving to a more competetive venue(ala Steven Gray)? Spokane would sure be convenient

JMO - But I would consider that an unfortunate choice if it ever were to be made. Theres a lot more to life than basketball.

UberZagFan
02-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Brock is not the biggest person in the team picture. Flathead's assistant coach Daren Engellant is 6'11". He played for Montana in the early 90s and then professionally in Europe. He was a good one.

http://www.sd5.k12.mt.us/fhs/act/bballb/06-07season/roster.html

Can that red head play? GU will need a replacement one in after next season.

CDC: I hear what you're saying on the committment to basketball and GU. But if he continues to play football next year and the year after, he could get some enticing offers. Like you say, kids change their minds.

As for his height, if anything that would be a bonus to a scout. The lineman get taller every year and seeing over that line is always an issue for a quarterback. At some point, I suppose you can be too tall to play QB but with lineman getting up to 6'3-6'5 a QB needs to match that height at least. From a two-year old article:

Andrew Walter, QB, Arizona State, 6-6. Not every team is leery of tall quarterbacks. "You can't be too tall at quarterback," Polian says. "He has to be able to see over the rush." In fact, the Colts want their passers to be 6-3 or taller, although they make exceptions for special players.

UberZagFan
02-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Theres a lot more to life than basketball.

Yes there is, starting with baseball.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3692/60x60jessicaalbawg9.jpg

http://3gold.com/pictures/avatar/11.gif

BobZag
02-22-2007, 02:32 PM
If Brock expands his range to 15-17' and perfects some nice post moves and post shots (baby hook), I can see him having a Matthew Knight type of game, and that'd be just fine with me. If he grows to 6'10", so much the better. I believe he'll bring an element of toughness down low, but he sure is a nice, soft-spoken kid off the court.

guniverse
02-23-2007, 10:35 AM
went to see brock play last night ani was very impressed. he played in helena mt. and the home reffs called some pretty questionable fouls, 2 specifically. he played probably about 15 minutes al together and seemed to score every time he touched the ball. he just went right through the defender and had very good footwork. his game reminded me of calvary a little bit. he ended up with 17 points and has a smooth shot from the line. he definetly has the athletic ability of a quarterback. he is tough and very quick. intensity is not lacking. when i read that he does not score very much because his guards are bad, i thought that was a homer remark, but i am from spokane and thought gsl basketball was a little suspect, but the guards brock plays with have to be the worst varsity supporting cast i have evr seen. i would guess they had 35 to 40 turnovers. when the ball went to brock he went to work and backed in the paint. when there wasnt anything there, he dished it out to the guards for an open shot but they couldnt make anything. i would say brock is more in the 6'8 area, but he plays much bigger and has great athleticism. pretty cool kid. after the game he came up and gave me and my buddies high fives and pats on the back for coming out in our gu gear. then he said, " you know your in helena when'" reffering to the ticky tack calls against him. by far the best player on the court and would really prosper if he were to have the chance to play with better players, even average players. i am excited for the tanacity he brings and the soft touch he has inside. 7-10 from the field, not bad. some of my friends that went to the game are also posters here and may give their insight. vival la brock