PDA

View Full Version : Future foes tonight

Birddog
11-15-2007, 06:03 AM
Tonight Oklahoma and Memphis square off in the "Garden". If you watch keep an eye on Blake Griffen, OU's great freshman prospect and of course Rose for Memphis. This game might be interesting for awhile. The game is on ESPN2 at 9 EST.

Birddog

jbslicer
11-15-2007, 06:11 AM
UC-Riverside plays EWU in Cheney. Tip-off at 7:45pm.

RenoZag
11-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the head's up, Birddog. . .should be a contest worth watching.

Nevtelen
11-15-2007, 08:50 AM
On a similar topic, N Colorado gave Iowa a bit of a scare last night - Iowa ended up winning by double digits, but N Colorado was ahead in the 2nd half and hung tough for quite a while. They'll be another Idahoesque team - if the team screws around, they'll be in for a tough matchup. If they play like they should, there shouldn't be any problem.

lothar98zag
11-15-2007, 08:55 AM
UC-Riverside plays EWU in Cheney. Tip-off at 7:45pm.
So I guess they'll be sightseeing tomorrow while they kill time before the GU game....

BobZag
11-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Memphis should win but I'll be watching and scouting. I'd go out to Cheney to watch UCR but if EWU hangs with them, or even beats UCR, well, they're bad.

zagsballer
11-15-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm definitely watching this game in the "garden" tonight. These are two of our tough match ups this year.

It made me look on our schedule to see when we play these teams. The 20th and 29th of Dec. The 20th is about 5 1/2 weeks from the surgeries of Josh and Steven. That makes the Memphis game about 7 weeks out from the injuries. They are saying it will be about 4-6 weeks for these two. What do you think? will we have them back for these big match-ups?

zag67
11-15-2007, 10:03 AM
FYI. The Mempis game is more like 12 weeks. I think that we may not see them very much (if any) for the game on the 20th against Oklahoma, because they will get another 1 1/2 weeks to heel before the next game. So unless they are sure, I think that they will be safe. That also gives them time to practice and work their way back into the team flow.

zagsballer
11-15-2007, 10:13 AM
oh ya, your right, Its Tennessee on the 29th. Another big game though.

CDC84
11-15-2007, 10:34 AM
UCR got beat by 21 points at Texas-Arlington recently. That doesn't speak well for their chances against GU on Saturday.

Personally, I am hoping that Gonzaga can get Gray and Heytvelt back for the Northern Colorado game. That's very close to 6 weeks after their respective surgeries. The timetable is 4-6 weeks, although I would be shocked if it is any less than 6 for either guy.

sittingon50
11-15-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm guessin' UCR will not be as good as Idaho.

Also, UConn on the tube @ 4 P.M.

RenoZag
11-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Memphis looks pretty good. Dorsey is a stud.

Zagpower
11-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Calipari has instituted a new offense this year that encourages driving to the hoop and discourages some traditional moves like setting screens. He was even quoted on ESPN as saying "If you're the type of player that likes to set screens, don't come here. We don't need you."

Calipari believes the way the pro and college game is currently being called by the refs, it is a better strategy to attack the hoop and score or draw the foul. To me, it looks like they aren't running any offense at all.

Memphis hasn't looked that good either time that I've watched them this year but they have some great individual talent and they are deep, deep, deep.

Radbooks
11-15-2007, 08:42 PM
UC-Riverside doesn't look like it has a lot of talent. EWU is up by 3 with about three minutes left. :(

JLGutrocks
11-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Good game between Memphis and OU. Both solid defensive teams. Both shakey on offense, then again, it's early November. Both will bring a challenge.

Radbooks
11-15-2007, 08:56 PM
EWU beat UC-Riverside 59-51. ouch...

sittingon50
11-16-2007, 09:33 AM
I think the Zags are really going to man-handle UCR. With 11 healthy scholarship players I would like to see Few divvy the guys up into 2 teams of 5 (plus one floater) & play them peddle to the metal, 5 minutes at a time.

I'm sure there is a lot he want's to accomplish before Alaska, but I would like to see Davis & Brown & Foster & Sacre each get 20 minutes in this game. A great time to get some minutes under fire.

lothar98zag
11-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Calipari has instituted a new offense this year that encourages driving to the hoop and discourages some traditional moves like setting screens. He was even quoted on ESPN as saying "If you're the type of player that likes to set screens, don't come here. We don't need you."

Calipari believes the way the pro and college game is currently being called by the refs, it is a better strategy to attack the hoop and score or draw the foul. To me, it looks like they aren't running any offense at all.

Memphis hasn't looked that good either time that I've watched them this year but they have some great individual talent and they are deep, deep, deep.
He's actually been using it for a few years now. Several years ago, when Pepperdine's current coach was still coaching JC, the two of them met and many things were discussed - including Walberg's offensive system. Coach Cal liked the system so much he decided to adapt it to fit his needs and he's been using it since.