PDA

View Full Version : GAS 1week WKU Gonzaga

83topper
11-15-2007, 05:53 AM
Ihave been keeping an eye on you guys looking good even with injuries.we seem to be improving according to sag ratings you guys should be about 5 point favorites looks like it may be high scoring game.

LongIslandZagFan
11-15-2007, 07:21 AM
I think if it gets into a shootout you guys may have a tough time with us. But force us into a more half-court type of game and you've got a good shot at us.

JMHO

JAGzag
11-15-2007, 07:35 AM
83topper, glad to have you, always love the friendlies coming by for upcoming games.

But I have to ask you, what the hell is that avatar? Is that your school's mascot? Granted, we have a dog, but what is that walking red Jello?

former1dog
11-15-2007, 07:44 AM
We're going to knock the Hilltoppers off the top of the damn hill!

No disrespect. :D

Butler Guy
11-15-2007, 07:48 AM

I wouldn't have your bags sent of for you, because the Bulldogs from Indianapolis are going to do the final knocking. ;)

No disrespect.

former1dog
11-15-2007, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't have your bags sent of for you, because the Bulldogs from Indianapolis are going to do the final knocking. ;)

No disrespect.

:lmao: Well, lets both get there first. Seriously, neither of our teams better overlook the first 2 rounds or we'll be in a world of hurt.

AnonyMoose
11-15-2007, 08:04 AM
I don't know 'bout that, Butler Guy. Your boys don't really have the size down low to really mess with our Freshman big Sacre and our Senior Kuso, and even our Shooting Guard/Small Forward is taller than your Center. If Will Foster gets in, he would be eight inches taller than your tallest man.

83topper
11-15-2007, 08:10 AM
83topper, glad to have you, always love the friendlies coming by for upcoming games.

But I have to ask you, what the hell is that avatar? Is that your school's mascot? Granted, we have a dog, but what is that walking red Jello?[/QUOTE]

that is big red our mascot he has been named national mascot of the year and is nominated almost every year.think about it with nickname hilltoppers you have to be creative:

Nevtelen
11-15-2007, 09:01 AM
I don't know 'bout that, Butler Guy. Your boys don't really have the size down low to really mess with our Freshman big Sacre and our Senior Kuso, and even our Shooting Guard/Small Forward is taller than your Center. If Will Foster gets in, he would be eight inches taller than your tallest man.

Honestly, that didn't really help much last year. The biggest difference this year is out defense - if we play D aganst Butler they way we have been playing it, we have a decent chance to win, I think. This team can, for the most part, out-athlete Butler and really get into them and take them out of their comfort zone. They were held to 0 field goals in the last 8 mins of the game last year, with that defense. Though unlike Montana and Idaho, there's no question Butler will make their free-throws if fouled.

The biggest worry (in my mind) is how stagnant out offense has looked so far this year. Yes, we've about hit 80 a couple of times, but the breaks haven't been particularly great against good defense (with some exceptions) and the half-court offense has mostly been 'dribble around and get it to Austin or Pargo' with the occasional back-cut and post-up for Bouldin. We need to really show some serious offense in Alaska and beyond if we want to win the next few games beyond Riverside.

Angelo Roncalli
11-15-2007, 09:04 AM
I was wondering what happened to "Wheedle", the old Sonics mascot. Looks like he headed to KY...

http://store.spaceneedle.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=132&id=677

83topper
11-15-2007, 09:09 AM
please no pitino quotes!!!

CDC84
11-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Gonzaga's three point shooting defense will be put to the ultimate test in Alaska. They will not face two better long distance shooting teams the whole season than WKU and Butler (if both GU/Butler can get to the title game).

83topper
11-15-2007, 09:16 AM

maybe........maybe not

BobZag
11-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Is WKU the 2nd best team in KY, behind only Louisville? Methinks maybe so.

former1dog
11-15-2007, 09:21 AM
maybe........maybe not

We're going to kill you guys!!

:jk:

Actually, I have no idea. I understand you folks can put up some points and have been suspect on defense last year. Should be an entertaining game.

With the defensive prowess we showed against MT and ID, I have some confidence heading into the WKU game, but we'll see. That's why they play the games my friend.

rennis
11-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Gonzaga's three point shooting defense will be put to the ultimate test in Alaska. They will not face two better long distance shooting teams the whole season than WKU and Butler (if both GU/Butler can get to the title game).

My thoughts exactly. If it gets into a shootout, like some people have predicted, we could be in trouble. Our 3 point shooting does not look good so far this year. My feeling is we're not going to be able to shoot our way back into a game if we get down.

BobZag
11-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Anyone notice Texas Tech losing to Sam Houston State last night?

Butler Guy
11-15-2007, 10:30 AM
My thoughts exactly. If it gets into a shootout, like some people have predicted, we could be in trouble. Our 3 point shooting does not look good so far this year. My feeling is we're not going to be able to shoot our way back into a game if we get down.

Now that's one thing that is not entirely likely. Butler finished 9th in the country in defense a season ago, and in 4 games this season no one has scored even 50 points in a game. Butler doesn't get into shootouts.

The way to beat Butler is to be crisp in the half court set (because there won't be break-out opportunities), defend the parameter well, and shoot well. I can tell you one thing I have the supreme confidence in, there isn't a team in the country that could have beaten Butler last night. (76-48 over Indiana St of the MVC).

Who knows if in a given game they play like they did yesterday, but they have the one-game-upside of a champion team.

Nevtelen
11-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Anyone notice Texas Tech losing to Sam Houston State last night?

Yeah, I bet some paint was peeling off the walls of the locker room in Lubbock last night...

rennis
11-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Now that's one thing that is not entirely likely. Butler finished 9th in the country in defense a season ago, and in 4 games this season no one has scored even 50 points in a game. Butler doesn't get into shootouts.

I guess i was more referring to WKU. I know the GU/Butler game would likely end in the low 60s.

Reborn
11-15-2007, 10:55 AM
I, like all of us, am really looking forward to the GAS. It will be a whole new level of play for the Zags. I'm not sure how we'll do, but I'm excited to see how we DO play. It's one thing to do well against Montana and Idaho, but a whole lot different to go up against Western Kentucky, Butler, Michigan, Texas Tech, et al.

I am confident the Zags will do well, but am not as sure as some seem to be. I want to see how well Daye plays against the next level, and I do believe he will still do well. I just am firmly convinced that he is really, really good. The Butler Zone will be a whole new challenge, and Western Kentucky's shooters will certainly challenge the Zags. I think our depth is our greatest strength, and will serve us well in Alaska.

I think the teams there will be very good challenges for the Zags, and I think this is going to be a great tournament and a lot of fun over Thanksgiving. We should get to see some pretty good basketball.

Hank
11-15-2007, 11:04 AM
I can tell you one thing I have the supreme confidence in, there isn't a team in the country that could have beaten Butler last night. (76-48 over Indiana St of the MVC).

Who knows if in a given game they play like they did yesterday, but they have the one-game-upside of a champion team.

Wow! Now that's a bold statement if I've ever seen one. I guess I already know what team to pick to go all the way in the bracket come March. Thanks Butler Guy!

ZagMan in Philly
11-15-2007, 11:24 AM
83topper, what exactly is "Hilltoppers"? Any relation to the Hokies??? :D

former1dog
11-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Probably has something to do with the topography of Kentucky. Have you ever been to Kentucky? It's really hilly in spots.

jim77
11-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Ironically, I pulled the tape of last year's Butler game out and viewed it last week. If we make it to Butler it should be an interesting game. The bulldogs(Butler type) are the masters of the half court set....there isn't a better half court team in terms of execution. The Butler team loves to make opposing defenses play "d" FOR THE ENTIRE SHOT CLOCK. Then again, if you give them a freebie (bad defense) they will take it. They can literally move the ball around the perimeter faster than most can cover. Then when there done running you around for most of the shot clock AJ GRAVES suddenly appears wide open for a"3"....which he promptly nails. On defense the bulldogs play very intense despite their size. They like to sag down against non 3 point shooting teams and can play tight "d" on the perimeter when needed. The biggest mistake(s) teams make against Butler are: 1. They underestimate them. 2. They think they can force their game upon Butler...when Butler can and DOES control the tempo in probably 95% of their games. Butler is an extremely cerebral and fundamentally superior team than most.

So how could the Zags beat them????? Good question....I think by playing Butler ball against them. I'd like to see US slooooow it down and make THEM play defense for the whole clock.....and push it inside to our bigs to get them into foul trouble. Although, the Butler team is not easily duped into stupid fouls. The other thing the Zags will need is a couple of 3 point shooters to keep Butler honest so they don't sag. The other thing I would do is play man defense and I'd put LG on AJ Graves.

I'm pretty sure Butler will make it to the finals, I hope that we do too. Win or lose it would be great experience/test for us. The key word in playing Butler is" PATIENCE". GREAT TEAM.

Sorry for the highjack.

83topper
11-15-2007, 12:04 PM

no one really knows what a hilltopper is that is why we have a red blob for a mascot, but he is cool, we are not in the mountains so we are not technically hillbillies it is just most of the campus is on a hill above Bowling green city of 85000.making it from class to class can be tiresome.it is a very nice campus more info than you ask for just thought I would through that in.:confused:

jim77
11-15-2007, 12:09 PM
OH, ok.

You're mascot looks like he spends most of his time AT THE BOTTOM of the hill...eating marshmellows! How bout' a trimmer waistline and some hiking boots for that fella. lol.

Reborn
11-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Jim77 writes, "The other thing the Zags will need is a couple of 3 point shooters to keep Butler honest so they don't sag."

This is one of my concerns about the Zags. I see that against Idaho we were 2-12, and not sure against Montana but I don't think it was great. So far no one is stepping out to take on that role, and in this sense I've been very disappointed in Micah. He needs to take that role on and start finding some confidence in himself. Pendo is a good 3 pt shooter but so far has spent a lot of time on the bench in foul trouble. He needs to stop making so many stupid fouls because against better defending teams we will need his 3 pt shooting.

Bouldin, so far, has looked good I think. That is good news to my heart. I've had doubts in Matt but he has really silenced my doubts so far. Keep it up Matt. Pargo has been horrible from the 3. Josh is out, and so far I think Daye has only one 3 pter. I think Daye is going to have to become more of a 3 pt shooter, but he will certainly challenge Butler. His length is so horrendous that he will challenge their zone by shooting over it. This, I think, will be his first real challenge.

The other way of challenging a Zone is to attack it with the dribble with slashers. I think we will be able to do this somewhat successfully with LG, Matt and even Pargo. So far these guys are really attacking defenses. But like Jim said, if we can't shoot from the outside everyone will be sagging inside to stop the dribble penetration.

Butler will know this, and their defense will be a challenge. It was last year, and in fact, I think the reason they beat us. Graves also knocked down a lot of shots. He will have a tougher time, but their patience will challenge us (as Jim just said). Butler will be a very good challenge.

83topper
11-15-2007, 12:24 PM
OH, ok.

You're mascot looks like he spends most of his time AT THE BOTTOM of the hill...eating marshmellows! How bout' a trimmer waistline and some hiking boots for that fella. lol.

we are more famous for the red towel maybe I will switch to that.

lothar98zag
11-15-2007, 12:42 PM
we are more famous for the red towel maybe I will switch to that.
no need to switch. The WKU on the blob's chest is enough info to tell us who you are.

PeninsulaDog
11-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Just wanted to mention that I had the chance to watch the Butler-Santa Clara game at Hinkle Field House back in '00. What a great building . . . every basketball fan owes it to themselves to see a game there.

D Hark 2003
11-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Maybe the hilltopper's mascot should be a picture of a gangster from the hilltop neighborhood in Tacoma.. ;)

Anyways, i have always wanted a hilltopper's jersey or shirt... Where can i find such things?

WKU Slam Dunk
11-15-2007, 03:01 PM
no one really knows what a hilltopper is that is why we have a red blob for a mascot, but he is cool, we are not in the mountains so we are not technically hillbillies it is just most of the campus is on a hill above Bowling green city of 85000.making it from class to class can be tiresome.it is a very nice campus more info than you ask for just thought I would through that in.:confused:

I beg to differ... my first semester I scheduled an 8am class in Tate Page and a 9:15 am class (15 minutes later) in Thompson. I know exactly what a hilltopper is. :D

I really hope that a 90 foot all out run and gun game is exactly what we get. That would be fun! This is one of the three best games we will have this season, can't wait to see the show!

bigjeep
11-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Here`s the write up of our win over KWU (http://www.wkusports.com/news.cgi?article=5866&sports=1) tuesday night, along with stats. The Zags might not want a shoot out. You might be better served to try and make it an inside game...but you do what you gotta do...:)

Surly you guys have seen Big Red on espn the past 7 or so yrs. He`s supposed to represent a "spirt" of sorts. Western tried a couple of different ideas for mascots; the worst being a gay looking guy, not that there`s anything wrong with that, in a tux and top hat. I`ll post BR`s creation sometime...

83, I don`t know where you got that BG has 83,000 people but the last cencus was just over 55,000. The campus has right at 19,000 student enrollment...

D Hark, if you visit the WKU site I`ve posted I think you`ll find a link to WKU`s book store which has all kind of goodies. Maybe we can do a little wager...if the Zags win I`ll ship you a WKU t-shirt of your choice...when, er, if the Top`s win you can send me a Zag shirt...;)

I`ve never looked more forward to a game in my life. If any of you go be safe, and may it be a barn burner...

jim77
11-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Reborn,
I think were in good shape for 3 ball. Micah will be fine..he just needs to keep launching! We also have Pendo and Bouldin...we need some set plays to get pendo some open looks....we'll be fine. I'd like to see what Austin's range is....I suspect the kid could drill more than a few.

AnonyMoose
11-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Here`s the write up of our win over KWU (http://www.wkusports.com/news.cgi?article=5866&sports=1) tuesday night, along with stats. The Zags might not want a shoot out. You might be better served to try and make it an inside game...but you do what you gotta do...:)

Surly you guys have seen Big Red on espn the past 7 or so yrs. He`s supposed to represent a "spirt" of sorts. Western tried a couple of different ideas for mascots; the worst being a gay looking guy, not that there`s anything wrong with that, in a tux and top hat. I`ll post BR`s creation sometime...

83, I don`t know where you got that BG has 83,000 people but the last cencus was just over 55,000. The campus has right at 19,000 student enrollment...

D Hark, if you visit the WKU site I`ve posted I think you`ll find a link to WKU`s book store which has all kind of goodies. Maybe we can do a little wager...if the Zags win I`ll ship you a WKU t-shirt of your choice...when, er, if the Top`s win you can send me a Zag shirt...;)

I`ve never looked more forward to a game in my life. If any of you go be safe, and may it be a barn burner...

Yeah I've seen him on The Mascot Challenge and some lame ESPN Classic Piece on most memorable mascots.

And believe me, I think run and gun will do well with PG Jeremy Pargo and SG and all around sticky fingers, LG. This will be interesting.

83topper
11-16-2007, 04:56 AM
big jeep I was including warren county that is where I got 85000

WKU Slam Dunk
11-16-2007, 06:02 AM
big jeep I was including warren county that is where I got 85000

Not that it's a big deal but Warren county has about 106K now.

83topper
11-16-2007, 06:08 AM
wikipedia said 110k just checked it so my geuss was way off!!!!

former1dog
11-16-2007, 07:08 AM
I don't care if there's 3 million people in Warren Country, we're still going to kill your team!

:D

(In case you haven't noticed, I'm trying but mostly failing to talk a little smack. I'm sure you guys have a solid team and it will be a hard fought game.)

AnonyMoose
11-16-2007, 07:16 AM
We'll post one ten on your boys in Anchorage.

83topper
11-16-2007, 11:46 AM
okay dog and moose I will Play along bring it on!!!!!you guys are going to be seeing nothing but the backs of our jerseys!!!!!red raining down threes;) ;) :p

zaguarxj
11-16-2007, 02:41 PM

It's how they mine coal these days. They just blast the top off of the hill and fill-in the valley below. Then you can get at the coal with surface-mining. Kind of surprising they'd name their mascot after an environmentally destructive coal mining technique.

:jk:

83topper
11-16-2007, 04:52 PM
I do not think that is where it came from, it has to do with campus being on the "Hill"coal is eastern ky

bigjeep
11-17-2007, 07:36 AM
I do not think that is where it came from, it has to do with campus being on the "Hill"coal is eastern ky

yeah 83, he`s confusing us with themthar blueblood fans...but there is strip mining in far Western Ky, but that`s ruled by bluebloods as well. WKU (southcentral Ky) mines basketball players...

zagman, come to BG sometime and walk the campus and you`ll see where the name came from.

Some of you older posters may remember the singing group The Hilltoppers... (http://cdbaby.com/cd/hilltoppers)

or not...

Go Tops! :boxing: Lets get it on ZAGS!

83topper
11-17-2007, 03:52 PM
hey dog and moose ,where are you? arew you scared? we beat murray state 87 63 today but lee went out with injurY!@%$$$)DO NOT KNOW EXTENTget back later:(

bigjeep
11-17-2007, 04:11 PM
hey dog and moose ,where are you? arew you scared? we beat murray state 87 63 today but lee went out with injurY!@%$$$)DO NOT KNOW EXTENTget back later:(

coach said it was a jamed thumb and is ok...fingers, toes, legs, eyes, rosary crossed...

WKU Slam Dunk
11-17-2007, 05:03 PM
We'll post one ten on your boys in Anchorage.

You know how fans of BCS teams just can't conceed that there are good teams outside of the BCS conferences? It's amazing how fast some fans of non-bcs teams can get that way. ;)

WKU was winning tournament games before it was fashionable... :p

ZagsGoZags
11-17-2007, 07:03 PM
It is a supreme organization, a social machine, that Butler plays, and it worked like magic against us last year, both half times, and we had Josh then. Few and the coaching staff couldn't figure them out.

The athleticism and height of GU may help some, but we need either a good brain to figure out how to neutralize their system, or a lot of luck. Pure basketball skill may not be enough. But if we give the ball to "Daye, Daye, Austin Daye" enough, we will eke out the win.

Zags 61, Butler 58.

83topper
11-18-2007, 04:47 AM
you can not play butler untill you beat us!!

ZagMan in Philly
11-18-2007, 07:15 AM
maybe a scrimmage with the Hilltoppers will get us better ready for Butler...:)
J/K ;)

bigjeep
11-18-2007, 07:48 AM
maybe a scrimmage with the Hilltoppers will get us better ready for Butler...:)
J/K ;)

it`ll be a good scrimmage I can promise you that. The down side is going to be there won`t be much gas left in your tank for Butler...actually, what makes you so sure it`ll be Butler?

Nevtelen
11-18-2007, 08:38 AM
In all seriousness, the WKU game is going to say a lot about this team - how will the freshman deal with the pressure of their first game not at K2? How will we play against a very solid opponent (particularly against their standout Lee?) Will the defense hold up? Who steps up in the tough situations and who lets themselves get flustered? I think a lot of questions will get answered.

And if we beat WKU, Butler is pretty much the only other good team in the tourney (Beilen will have Michigan playing hard, but they just aren't quite there yet).

83topper
11-22-2007, 04:36 AM
hey guys big game tonight are you ready?wanted to renew this thread because it has info on our team that may be helpful to zag fans that are just now focusing on this game.

RenoZag
11-22-2007, 05:20 AM
83, we're looking forward to pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, and watching the Zags play WKU.

83topper
11-22-2007, 05:24 AM
reno same here!!! but it will be 1130 pm.

RenoZag
11-22-2007, 05:26 AM
Between your enthusiasm & a cuppa coffee, I'll bet you manage to stay up for it, 83'

83topper
11-22-2007, 05:32 AM
Oh yes, will be up to watch this one looking forward to this tourney,then we have .Tennessee

LongIslandZagFan
11-22-2007, 06:01 AM
Happy turkey day 83... and since Tenn is a common opponent, we love to have a rundown after you guys play them.

83topper
11-22-2007, 07:06 AM
same to you,and Iwill post info of tenn game

lawzag
11-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Happy Turkey day '83!

thanks for all the classy & congenial banter over the last month or so, its been a pleasure to have you join our board :)

83topper
11-22-2007, 04:54 PM
it has been fun will be back after our tennessee game, in a couple of hours the anticipation will be over."the battle of the bruised" hope we stay healthy