PDA

View Full Version : Jon Brockman

applezag
11-14-2007, 09:14 PM
I know it is sacreligious to say something like this, but gosh I like Jon Brockman. He had 31 and 18 tonight vs. Utah. What a beast. All out effort, all the time.

tyra
11-14-2007, 09:22 PM
If we're not big enough to recognize talent AND heart like Mr. Brockman possesses, then we are not worthy to be Zag fans. The young man is special. Frankly, I'd say the same thing about another former Husky and that is Brandon Roy who is also a world class young man. Of course, that doesn't stop me from thinking of the defeat of the Huskies last year as one of the highlights of my life!

Zag79
11-14-2007, 09:30 PM
dude can straight up play so he gets my repsect. now his coach and school...

:lmao:

sorry, it was there for the taking.

ZagNative
11-14-2007, 09:31 PM
I like him too.

Geez ... I ought to have something pithier to say than that ... Maybe I'll put an emoticon or something in here to flush this post out and make it seem less vacuous ... No, wait! I'll put in that great photo of him about to fall on Pargo and crush him at last year's game:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Pargo/PargovBrockman2006.jpg

Like I said, I like the guy.

Nevtelen
11-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Brockman WAS UW's offense tonight. He was fantastic - he needed to be fantastic to carry the team; he knew that and did it. Nevill isn't bad, but deserves the "soft" rep IMO, for the most part. I know it's early, but UW doesn't have that many new pieces. If they play like that on the home court against Utah (who looked quite decent, but not stellar) they're not going to be that great in the Pac-10. Nice pressure, though.

It'll be an interesting game for us vs Utah. W/o Josh, Nevill could be quite a threat inside against Kuso and his inexperienced back-up. OTOH, you get the feeling that Pargo or Bouldin or Pendo could push him around if they had to (though Pendo would, of course, get called for the foul :) ). LG will definitely be guarding Bryant.

mgadfly
11-14-2007, 09:47 PM
I thought Nevill played strong inside and worked hard until he got that third foul called on him. Then he really backed off and stopped using his body like he did in the first half. I could see us having problems with him since our big guys that get minutes don't have the size and muscle that he does. I kept thinking that Will Foster would be a great fit at Utah since they have zero depth in the post.

As for Brockman, he's a stud. I think he is every bit as good as the East Coast Brockman (Hansbrough) if a bit less skilled but more of a down and dirty type player. He's too short to have much of a career in the NBA, but as far as college ball goes I think he is one of the better true PFs in the nation.

MDABE80
11-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Given our new found methods of playing defense, I think Brockman would be swatted.......a lot! No offense to Jon....he's really a great player and a great student.

23dpg
11-15-2007, 05:03 AM
Brockman is a great college player. I don't know if it will translate at the next level, but I'd take him on my team any time.

former1dog
11-15-2007, 05:30 AM
Brockman is Zag material. He should have been a Bulldog!

LongIslandZagFan
11-15-2007, 05:43 AM
Was watching part of that game... Really liked Brockman and kept saying to myself that I wish he had been a Zag.

wazZag
11-15-2007, 06:03 AM
He is incredible. Plays like pendo with more size.

scrooner
11-15-2007, 07:44 AM
If he were transported back in time & had to recommit all over again, do you think he'd come to Gonzaga instead? I know, I know, if the moon was made of ribs....

zagzealot
11-15-2007, 08:48 AM
That in-your-face stuff on Brockman reminded me of the stuff Daye laid on Idaho in Tuesday's game. The shot didn't even get off. The fact that Brockman had to have a career game in order for UW to beat Utah 83-77 makes me think that the GU-Utah game could be interesting. Granted, I think UW is a shadow of itself from even a year ago, but still, I think Utah looked decent last night.

guniverse
11-15-2007, 08:50 AM
when i first saw brockman play in the mcdonalds all american game, i said to myself "if only." he is my favorite player hands down in college basketball that does not wear a zag uni. the way he plays gains all the respect in the world. as much as i love to see uw loose, i feel for some reason that they deserve to get in a couple wins for this guy. he reminds me of cory a little. i would take him over anyone in the country especially hansborough. the way he plays basketball is unmatched. he should be the face of college hoops if he weren't a husky. the only thing i question is his character. why. he chose romar over few. tough to understand a level headed man doing such a thing.

thickman1
11-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Was watching part of that game... Really liked Brockman and kept saying to myself that I wish he had been a Zag.

This is exactly what I was thinking too. One play late in the 2nd half he had 3 opportunities to score. His shot, his rebound putback, and another rebound putback that he was fouled on. Guy has a ton of heart.

rennis
11-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Brockman is a great college player. I don't know if it will translate at the next level, but I'd take him on my team any time.
Couldn't have said it better

he should be the face of college hoops if he weren't a husky. the only thing i question is his character. why. he chose romar over few. tough to understand a level headed man doing such a thing.

Husky fans would say the exact opposite of any player choosing GU over UW.

zag67
11-15-2007, 09:53 AM
I agree that Jon Brockman is a beast and is a Pendo like person. I have watched him since he was in 6th grade and even back then he was way above all of the players he played with and against and was a man child. Since then he has taken his talent and worked at it to a point of fine tuning all of his abilities.

As far as Utah is concerned, we will have played 11 more games before we play them (also about 6 weeks). I think that you will see our bigs of Kuzo, Sacre and Theo stepping it up and will be ready for the challenge. I think that we will see that these three (adding Josh working as a 4/5 when he returns) will be a fantastic set of players by the time March comes around. In some ways this gives us something we have not had since the years of Fox, Cory, and Ronny) and that is a group of posts that we can keep throwing bodies at some of these teams and not have to worry about fouls.

kdoggy
11-15-2007, 10:00 AM
I love it. Frankly I thought the Zags lacked that a bit last year. No offense to Pendo, he's got it too but a notch or 2 below in both motor and ability. I think Brock is almost more like Turiaf. Constantly working the glass. I like the tough SoBs.

I think if Pendo and Kuso continue to work at it, they will make life very difficult for opposign teams on the boards.

Spokanicoug
11-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Brockman is .....................

Reborn
11-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Zagzealot said that Utah looked decent. I thought they looked decent too, and better than I thought that they'd be. UW looked worse to me than they looked last year, so that doesn't say a lot for the U. I think they will have a worse year this year. Brockman is a stud but he isn't enough. They looked extremely weak down low. The big kid for Utah is ok but I wouldn't say great. They will not have anyone to guard Daye, and the big kid will also get into trouble against the Zags. I was impressed with the guard who shot the lights out of the basket, but we must remember that the UW guards are pretty short. GU will not have any trouble with Utah.

dim4sum
11-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Brockman plays with heart and tenacity, but his teammates are very inconsistent, sloppy and selfish. Poindexter,especially, is still playing like a freshman. Liked the energy Overton brings, but Romar has to channel it.
Romar is a little too hands-off for my good.

OZZag
11-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Didn't watch the game (surprise, surprise), but have been following the Utes this year (Tyler Kepkay, Rob's old teammate). Boylen is really trying to toughen up the team (The High Point coach was shocked that they had toughened up so quickly). He is really pushing them on D and is very demonstrative (saw him here in Australia in August with some of the Utes).

That said the Utes will definitely have trouble with the Zags size. With really only Neville, Tillie and Green able to provide quality "big" miniutes. They are a good 3 point shooting team (Weigh and Green have size and are decent from beyond the arc). Their main problem will be how well Kepkay can run the team (he will have 10 more games till then). He is going from Juco where he was told to score, to more of a true pass first point guard role.

Bryant is a good shooter, but is suspect under pressure, the other guards are decent, but not that exciting.

The Zags will win by 20 with all of the Utah Bigs fouling out before the end of the game.

azzagfan
11-15-2007, 04:11 PM
If Ken Bone had been at Portland State a few years earlier, this board would have been full of praise for Brockman for the last few years.

BongKrosby
11-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Too bad the UW coaches are too scared to play us. Would be a fun game to watch. I guess New Jersey Tech was a better challenge to get them ready for the season. What else should you expect for the Purple and YELLOW.

Scotto
11-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Didn't watch the game (surprise, surprise), but have been following the Utes this year (Tyler Kepkay, Rob's old teammate). Boylen is really trying to toughen up the team (The High Point coach was shocked that they had toughened up so quickly). He is really pushing them on D and is very demonstrative (saw him here in Australia in August with some of the Utes).

That said the Utes will definitely have trouble with the Zags size. With really only Neville, Tillie and Green able to provide quality "big" miniutes. They are a good 3 point shooting team (Weigh and Green have size and are decent from beyond the arc). Their main problem will be how well Kepkay can run the team (he will have 10 more games till then). He is going from Juco where he was told to score, to more of a true pass first point guard role.

Bryant is a good shooter, but is suspect under pressure, the other guards are decent, but not that exciting.

The Zags will win by 20 with all of the Utah Bigs fouling out before the end of the game.

I think Ty is just getting his feet wet, his first year of JUCO started the same way. He's too good of a scorer to try and covert him to a true PG.

Zagme-totheleft!
11-16-2007, 08:17 AM
If we're not big enough to recognize talent AND heart like Mr. Brockman possesses, then we are not worthy to be Zag fans. The young man is special. Frankly, I'd say the same thing about another former Husky and that is Brandon Roy who is also a world class young man. Of course, that doesn't stop me from thinking of the defeat of the Huskies last year as one of the highlights of my life!

Couldnt have said it better myself!