PDA

View Full Version : Official Charges

J-Lo
02-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Long day at work, so I wasn't on the board, but I didn't see this posted yet. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2772547

lothar98zag
02-20-2007, 04:53 PM
The board was down a lot today, that's probably why it wasn't posted yet.

Here is all you ever wanted to know about today's "news" and plenty you didn't know you could know here: http://www.spokesmanreview.com/cover.asp

I'm sure this will also be story #1 on all the local news shows...:rolleyes:

Zagster
02-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Now we will see what it means to be part of the GU family.

hls97
02-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Well, I was hoping something -- anything -- would happen for felony charges not to be filed. Too bad.

That pretty much guarantees that JH will not play again this season (yes, I was still holding out some hope).

I predict this case will be pled out relatively quickly.

Zagster
02-20-2007, 05:24 PM
No matter what happens, Josh has put himself in a position where it would be very difficult for him to come back this year.

J-Lo
02-20-2007, 05:40 PM
This year? I'd say difficult to come back at all. Right or wrong, felony charges/conviction aren't something you just bounce back from. We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

meadgrad02
02-20-2007, 06:01 PM
I'd be surprised to see him back next year. I think Theo still has a chance though. How many of you would actually like to see Josh back next year?

Nevtelen
02-20-2007, 06:16 PM
I'd love to see Josh back. He made a mistake. Mistakes happen. It's what you do afterwards that counts. It seems to me that, barring anything really bad coming out of the charges, or Josh somehow serving serving serious jail time (which I can't see) he'll have a chance to be back next year.

With the very, very small amount of p-o-t on his person (the article even says that it's barely enough to press misdemeanor charges over), I can't believe Theo won't be back as well. Plus, Theo didn't have to play in the game the next day, so the "slacking off before the game" issue really doesn't apply to him.

Hopefully, these issues will only be small ripples by the time next season rolls around...

meadgrad02
02-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Maybe I should re-prase the question. Does he deserve to come back? I mean yeah, he's an amazing talent who only helps us on the court, but after what he pulled on the team, I wonder how the guys feel about him coming back.

ZaginLaw
02-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Interesting post regarding ripples by next year. I doubt it'll be ripples, even if Josh turns it around and confronts the reality of the situation head on.

Perhaps you didn't see Few's quote relating to the suspension from the team having to do with the essence of the program being you shouldn't be out late at night at the wrong place at the wrong time the night before a game. And that's without the felony possession charges.

By mistakes do you mean bad choices and not "oops" - right? Yes bad choices do happen as well as consequences. Without consequence it's amazing how often a person keeps making bad choices.

Josh has a lot to get through and things to address personally before there is any talk about next year.

sittingon50
02-20-2007, 07:01 PM
My daughter called & said that a friend of hers (player on the women's team) told her that all the men & women got tested today. The player said it was a first for her.

If anyone flunks this they will officially be too dumb to attend GU!;)

jayray
02-20-2007, 07:03 PM
If anyone flunks this they will officially be too dumb to attend GU!;)

Except for the fact that ### can take upwards of a month before you are 100% safe on a drug test.

roxdoc
02-20-2007, 07:37 PM
My personal feeling is that Josh has not always helped us on the court and may in fact have been the primary catalyst in our lack of chemistry. I would like to think that Theo has a better chance for next year than Josh. Just my feelings, or bias if you will.

brasszag
02-20-2007, 07:38 PM
And that's what they'd want to get the tests taken now :-)

Cleaning house it's called - but also I suspect so they can work with and provide counselling to any other athletes before they get themselves in more trouble - either on a personal level, a team impact level, or a legal level.

I frankly do anticipate Josh being offered a scholly for next year provided he is not serving jail time - as his second chance - if the coaching staff see an attitude change. I would also expect that he'll be on a very short leash in terms of monitoring and counselling - which, unless his head gets straightened out, will frustrate him badly.

tobizag
02-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Found it interesting that the KHQ story talked about Josh claiming the drugs belonged to a friend who grew them and who had borrowed the car a few days earlier.

Never heard that part of the story, thought it was interesting.

beatProgram
02-20-2007, 09:18 PM
In what universe do convicted felons get to be enrolled at GU?

I mean you actually have to include that kind of information when you apply to the University, and I have to think the number of known felons that they're admitting probably approaches zero... don't you think?

You can call it unfortunate, or whatever else, but as an alumni of the University I'd actually be pretty disappointed if he's allowed to remain at school even if as a GU basketball fan I'd like to see his play on the court.

Granted we don't know what's going to happen, or if he'll be convicted, but if he is I can't see how he'd be coming back.

youreachiteach
02-20-2007, 09:29 PM
I like Josh, he's a great talent, shoots too many 3s for me, but the team needs him. Listen, 75% of kids smoke weed..in college, same thing in the pros. Josh got caught, and will have to pay the price.

Whats his sister saying?

Nevtelen
02-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Interesting post regarding ripples by next year. I doubt it'll be ripples, even if Josh turns it around and confronts the reality of the situation head on.

Perhaps you didn't see Few's quote relating to the suspension from the team having to do with the essence of the program being you shouldn't be out late at night at the wrong place at the wrong time the night before a game. And that's without the felony possession charges.

By mistakes do you mean bad choices and not "oops" - right? Yes bad choices do happen as well as consequences. Without consequence it's amazing how often a person keeps making bad choices.

Josh has a lot to get through and things to address personally before there is any talk about next year.

The story will obviously be around next year and will undoubtedly follow both Theo and Josh throughout their careers at GU or perhaps elsewhere, but beyond being resurrected along with the pre-season hype, I would hope that it'll be nothing but a bad memory and some continuing community service commitments (from an outsider's p.o.v.).

I highly doubt that Josh is the first GU bball player to have been out the night before a big game. Yes, it was a horrible decision. But worth yanking a scholarship over? No way. In any case where this was not splashed over national front pages, a suspension from the team is correct way to deal with something like that - make the player look hard at his priorities. Josh should be suspended for the rest of the season. If he really cares about the team, the losses (probably the feeling that he's responsible for the ending of the streak) the team has suffered and the possibilty of not making the post-season have got to be worse than any other punishment he'll get.

As for the drugs - he was caught with drugs; he'll get punished by the legal system and he's (rightfully) suspended from the team. Anything beyond that is pure speculation as no one here really knows anything else about the facts.

It just seems like a lot of people (not saying you, necessarily) are advocating tossing him to the curb like he's a cancerous blob that will destroy our ivory tower of a program. Where were these people 3 months ago? They were loving the fire and attitude he brought to defending the paint. Until I find out otherwise, Josh is a good kid that screwed up the way lots of 20 yr-olds screw up.

Nevtelen
02-20-2007, 09:50 PM

I mean you actually have to include that kind of information when you apply to the University, and I have to think the number of known felons that they're admitting probably approaches zero... don't you think?

You can call it unfortunate, or whatever else, but as an alumni of the University I'd actually be pretty disappointed if he's allowed to remain at school even if as a GU basketball fan I'd like to see his play on the court.

Granted we don't know what's going to happen, or if he'll be convicted, but if he is I can't see how he'd be coming back.

I honestly have no clue, but I bet it's different for, say, someone with a felony that applies to be a new student, where there are 1000s of apps to sort through and something like that is just a good reason to look at other candidates, and someone who is already going to the school and gets convicted of something. In the latter case, I bet the nature of the crime is taken into account and the whole thing would go through Student Life, just like Josh's situation is. I have a friend that used to work for the GU corporate council. I should ask - wonder if he'd have any idea.

mgadfly
02-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Felons do attend private universities in Eastern Washington. They usually (maybe never) do not receive federal student aide.

And David Pak, from Utah State, played college basketball after serving time for a rape conviction. Toalei Mulitauaopele was convicted of two counts of manslaughter after a 1991 double-murder and was given a scholarship to play football at the University of Washington. Those are two off the top of my head, but I'd be willing to bet that second chances for drug possession charges are relatively common.

ZagtheDog
02-21-2007, 06:58 AM

He hasn't been convicted yet. This won't even go to trial, a guilty plea will be entered and the charges reduced to a misdemeanor. Personally I would be shocked if Josh sees any jail time. A prosecutor seeking a prison sentence for a kid that made a mistake is complete overkill and would simply be an attempt to gain some kind of celebrity.

The kid needs help and I don't think throwing him to the wolves is in his or GUs best interest. I for one hope he gets a reduced sentence with some community service/mandatory rehab, and is allowed to return next year.

ZagManFan
02-21-2007, 07:12 AM
I for one hope he gets a reduced sentence with some community service/mandatory rehab, and is allowed to return next year.

100% agree man. Josh needs to get straight and return with a clean slate next year. GU nation will gladly welcome him back with open arms if he goes to rehab and shows that he does care about himself, family and GU.

Best of luck Josh.

D Hark 2003
02-21-2007, 08:55 AM
He hasnt been convicted yet, and maybe if he can get off on some sort of technicality he will be back next year... ;) Davis is the whole reason he got caught. If he didnt have a half smoked blunt in his pocket they never would have smelled weed and then searched the car.;) Both players are idiots, what are they doing out that late? Davis didnt have to play the next day, but he knows that Heytvelt did, he should have told josh to stay in and watch a movie or something.

McZag
02-21-2007, 10:52 AM
He will be STRONGLY encouraged to transfer. These coaches will not let a single player do anything to permanately tarnish the programs reputation. The NCAA community is watching very closely to see if Few is a Coach K type guy or a Huggins type guy when the chips are down. It's sad that the program has been hit with this scrutiny but Josh will take the fall, not the program. Just my opinion.

sullyzag66
02-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Found it interesting that the KHQ story talked about Josh claiming the drugs belonged to a friend who grew them and who had borrowed the car a few days earlier.

Never heard that part of the story, thought it was interesting.

And since the other backpack, which he said he thought belonged to a friend, was a "Basketball Hall of Fame Challenge" backpack, it begs the question: Was the "friend" another player on the team?

tobizag
02-21-2007, 11:13 AM
The men's players were actually tested last week.

mtzaga
02-21-2007, 11:19 AM
He will be STRONGLY encouraged to transfer. These coaches will not let a single player do anything to permanately tarnish the programs reputation. The NCAA community is watching very closely to see if Few is a Coach K type guy or a Huggins type guy when the chips are down. It's sad that the program has been hit with this scrutiny but Josh will take the fall, not the program. Just my opinion.

If he is forced out, he will have to sit another year unless he goes to Division II or NAIA. There are a some good D-II teams in the area such as Seattle Pacific. Not a very likely option IMHO. He will try the pro route.

McZag
02-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Josh would be wise to transfer to the best D-I program that will have him and sit out next year. He could use that time to get himself clean and become recommitted to basketball.

LongIslandZagFan
02-21-2007, 12:29 PM
... so many have forgotten the concept of forgiveness and learning from one's mistakes.

What he did was a bonehead move... yes.

Throw him out because of it... no. Let him have a chance to prove himself. If he doesn't shape up then you can cast him aside. But he at least deserves the chance to prove himself.

ZagtheDog
02-21-2007, 02:03 PM
... so many have forgotten the concept of forgiveness and learning from one's mistakes.

What he did was a bonehead move... yes.

Throw him out because of it... no. Let him have a chance to prove himself. If he doesn't shape up then you can cast him aside. But he at least deserves the chance to prove himself.

Exactly what I've been saying...

Throwing Josh out does nothing but hurt Gonzaga's image further. A compassionate, disciplined approach is needed here and would show the "holier than thou" crowd that GU is a place where you can learn from your mistakes. Forgiveness is something GU must reinforce, not abandon when some unattainable image of purity is tarnished.

Everyone makes mistakes...why some people here want a kids life utterly ruined is beyond me.

roxdoc
02-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Show all the forgiveness and particularly help that a significant institution like GU can give. Give him a second chance. If he fails again, the university can roll with the punch. The team is a different story, next season may be what you are putting on the line.

SLOZag
02-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Davis is the whole reason he got caught. If he didnt have a half smoked blunt in his pocket they never would have smelled weed and then searched the car.;)

I don't think this is the time for us to be laying blame on one or the other of our guys, since a lot of facts are yet to emerge, but the above criticism is such a misdirected attack on Theo :mad: that I feel obliged to respond.

My brief reading of the official police report suggests (1.) Josh was operating the SUV on the roadway at night with no lights on -- headlights or otherwise -- which fact prompted the officers to stop the SUV; and (2.) No less than three officers approached the SUV when it was pulled over. One spoke to Josh on the driver's side (presumably thru an open window), one stood at the passenger's side and observed Theo (presumably thru a closed window), and a third approached the SUV from the rear. This third officer looked in the rear window of the SUV, claims he saw the baggie which he claims he recognized as containing illegal mushrooms :rolleyes: , and then he (the third officer) told the officer talking with Josh that they (the three officers) were going to detain Josh and Theo for "a possible drug violation." In short, the reasons Theo got caught were that Josh didn't turn on the lights for the SUV, and someone left a baggie of mushrooms out "in plain sight." According to the police report.

My conclusion: Instead of jumping in and blaming someone, we all ought to reserve judgment for now and get the facts first.

GUgirl
02-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Everyone makes mistakes...why some people here want a kids life utterly ruined is beyond me.

And you believe it would "utterly ruin" his life to have a free ride taken away when he has proven he doesn't value it? To be penalized for breaking the law? To have his former teammates protected from this sort of betrayal coming from him again?

He's apparently not really good at listening to wake up calls, is he? Come on, a baby daughter while he's unmarried, in school, and one of the main pillars supporting a constantly traveling, nationally known basketball team? And that doesn't shape him up??

Sometimes a kid gets to a point where he needs to have to make his own way in the world for a while, through sheer hard work. Been there, done that, and when I realized that no one was going to take care of everything for me, I learned that I could take care of it myself. Honestly. With integrity. And hard work. I sincerely hope that Josh is now given the opportunity to learn that himself.

MDS03
02-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Here is how legendary disciplinarian Bob Knight of Texas Tech handled one of his players who was convicted of a felony - might shed light on how Josh will be handled: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/021307dnspotechlede.e5fb79.html

NVzag
02-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Here is how legendary disciplinarian Bob Knight of Texas Tech handled one of his players who was convicted of a felony - might shed light on how Josh will be handled: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/021307dnspotechlede.e5fb79.html

Bob Knight also kicked his own son off of one of his teams for DUI.

http://tinyurl.com/3ax3j5

Also noted in the article:

"It wasn't the first time Bobby Knight had ejected a player from his team. The coach suspended five players and kicked three off the 1977-78 team after he walked in on a party where marijuana was smoked."

McZag
02-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Well said. If Josh were to continue his education elsewhere, he would still be able to get a free ride - he'd just have to sit out a year. This situation will hardly ruin his life. He has too much talent to fall back on and can still create a great life for himself.

SWZag
02-22-2007, 10:06 AM
From Parrish Thoughts (http://www.sportsline.com/columns/weblogs/entry/parrish_thoughts).

"Further details were released about Josh Heytvelt's arrest. The Gonzaga star was apparently headed to this girl's (http://goeags.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/osborn_brittney00.html) place with mushrooms in his vehicle. I don't know whether she's worth a felony drug charge, but she's cute. "

Interesting.

SWZag