PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs, Poling & Goodson Sign LOI's

Angelo Roncalli
11-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Welcome to the party, men.

SPOKANE, Wash. - Gonzaga University men's basketball coach Mark Few added three players to his charges for the 2008-09 season with the signing of three players to letters-of-intent Wednesday.

Andy Poling, 6-11, 230-pound forward from Westview High in Portland, Ore.; Grant Gibbs, 6-5, 190-pound guard from Linn-Mar High in Marion, Iowa, and Demetri Goodson, 6-0, 175-pound guard from Klein Collins High in Spring, Texas, outside of Houston, made their intentions official to become Bulldogs on the first day of national letter-of-intent signing day. All three had previously made verbal commitments.

Poling averaged 13.9 ppg last season to rank fifth in the Metro League in scoring while leading the Wildcats to a 21-8 overall record and 8-2 second-place Metro League finish. He was named honorable mention All-State 6A in Westview's first season in the newly-created State 6A classification. He was also voted first-team All-Metro League for the Wildcats, ranked seventh in the state heading into the State 6A Tournament where they lost their first two games.

He was a second-team All-State 4A pick and a first-team Metro League selection in 2006 in Class 4A, at the time the highest classification in the state. He averaged 17.4 ppg to rank fourth in the Metro League. Westview advanced to the State 4A Tournament, going 1-2. His best game in the State 4A Tournament was the fifth-place game against Benson when he scored 15 points and grabbed 8 rebounds. He had 12 points and 11 rebounds in a semifinal loss.

As a sophomore Westview advanced to the State 4A championship game, losing to eventual champion Jesuit. He scored 9 points in the third-place game that year.

Poling was rated one of the 20 best centers in the country by one scouting service.

"Andy is a skilled big man with ability to play inside and out. He has a great feel for the game," Few said.

Gibbs averaged 15.0 ppg, 5.0 assists and 5.0 rpg as Linn-Mar captured the Iowa State 4A title last spring. He had 10 points, 8 rebounds and 3 assists in the quarterfinal win over Sioux City North; 20 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists and 7 steals in the semifinal victory over Urbandale, and scored 15 points, grabbed 8 rebounds, and had a pair of assists and steals in the title game against Bettendorf to cap a 24-1 season. He finished third in the tournament with 45 points and tied for fourth with 21 rebounds in earning All-Tournament honors.

As a sophomore, he scored 10 points and hauled in 5 rebounds in the State 4A Tournament quarterfinals, had 6 points and 3 rebounds in the semifinals and scored 10 points and grabbed 6 rebounds in the consolation championship game. He was ranked as the 19th best point guard in the country and the 96th best player in the country by one scouring service.

"Grant is a dynamic guard," Few said. "He has tremendous ability to set up his teammates, but he can also score himself. He is very much in the (former Bulldog) Blake Stepp mold."

Goodson helped lead Klein Collins to the Region 2 title game last season while averaging 16.0 ppg, 5.0 rpg and 7.0 assists/game. He was an All-State 5A selection, the largest classification in Texas.

Klein Collins was eliminated in the Region 2 semifinals in Goodson's sophomore season of 2006 and he was named to the All-District team.

Goodson was rated as high as the 135th best player in the country by one scouting service.

"Demetri is a game breaking guard because of his speed and athleticism," Few said. "He has great court awareness and instincts."

http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111407aae.html

ZagNative
11-14-2007, 03:02 PM
From Jim Meehan's Blog (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=6429):

Grant Gibbs told his middle school teachers years ago that someday he was going to play basketball for Gonzaga. On Wednesday, Gibbs lifted weights with the rest of his Linn-Mar High School teammates at 7 a.m., then signed and faxed his letter-of-intent, cementing his commitment to the Bulldogs.

“It’s pretty neat for a 17, 18-year-old kid to follow his dream,” Linn-Mar coach Chris Robertson said.

Gibbs joined point guard Demetri Goodson and forward Andy Poling in following up verbal commitments by signing letters-of-intent on the first day of the early signing period.

A year ago at this time, Poling was just beginning a junior season that didn’t go as planned. He was inexplicably losing weight, dropping from 230 to 197.

“I remember our first game at South Eugene, we beat them and Andy played solid but he was just absolutely wiped out at the end, that was one of the first clear points that something wasn’t right,” Westview coach Pat Coons said.

Extensive tests finally revealed that Poling had a gluten allergy. After making the necessary changes in his diet, “Andy was able to start putting weight back on and he’s up to 230,” Coons said.

"Grant Gibbs told his middle school teachers years ago that someday he was going to play basketball for Gonzaga. "
http://ejaan.com/images/smiles/Emoticon_a-heart.gif Playing for the Zags should be every little boy's dream!

Angelo Roncalli
11-14-2007, 03:03 PM
No surprises on the first day of the early signing period. Grant Gibbs, Demetri Goodson and Andy Poling followed up verbal commitments to GU by signing and faxing their letters of intent.

We talked to all three of their prep coaches.
An unedited S-R story follows below and here's a link to GU's release on the three players signing.

Demetri Goodson, 6-0, 175, G, Klein Collins High (Spring, Texas)
Grant Gibbs, 6-5, 190, G, Linn-Mar High (Marion, Iowa)
Andy Poling, 6-11½, 230, F, Westview High (Portland)

By Jim Meehan
Staff writer

Grant Gibbs told his middle school teachers years ago that someday he was going to play basketball for Gonzaga. On Wednesday, Gibbs lifted weights with the rest of his Linn-Mar High School teammates at 7 a.m., then signed and faxed his letter-of-intent, cementing his commitment to the Bulldogs.

“It’s pretty neat for a 17, 18-year-old kid to follow his dream,” Linn-Mar coach Chris Robertson said.

Gibbs joined point guard Demetri Goodson and forward Andy Poling in following up verbal commitments by signing letters-of-intent on the first day of the early signing period.

A year ago at this time, Poling was just beginning a junior season that didn’t go as planned. He was inexplicably losing weight, dropping from 230 to 197.

“I remember our first game at South Eugene, we beat them and Andy played solid but he was just absolutely wiped out at the end, that was one of the first clear points that something wasn’t right,” Westview coach Pat Coons said.

Extensive tests finally revealed that Poling had a gluten allergy. After making the necessary changes in his diet, “Andy was able to start putting weight back on and he’s up to 230,” Coons said.

Poling’s team defeated current Zag Robert Sacre’s North Vancouver, B.C., squad last year.

“My read with Robert and Andy is Andy has got the basketball skills and fundamentals and finesse, but Robert has the physical part,” Coons said. “I can certainly see Andy at the high post with Robert down low being a nice combination.”

Poling is a “skilled big man with the ability to play inside and out,” Gonzaga coach Mark Few said. “He has a great feel for the game.”

GU’s coaching staff watched Goodson play 30 times. In recent scrimmages, Goodson lined up against two of the best guards in Texas – J’Covan Brown, ranked sixth among 2008 shooting guards by rivals.com, and Tommy Mason-Griffin, a 2009 commitment to LSU.

“Oh, he played great,” Tim Schumacher, Goodson’s coach, said. “He’s so unselfish and plays the game with such an understanding. We need him to take a step up and average a few more points.”

Goodson averaged 16 points on a 29-win team last year. Klein Collins is ranked No. 1 in Houston and No. 2 in Texas, according to Schumacher.

“He’s a game-breaking guard because of his speed and athleticism,” Few said.

Gibbs helped Linn-Mar capture an Iowa 4A (biggest classification) state title last season.

“He has tremendous ability to set up his teammates, but he can also score himself,” Few said. “He’s very much in the (ex-Zag) Blake Stepp mold.”

Gibbs made 72 percent of his shots from 2-point range, 66 percent overall, Robertson said. “He’s really focused on his senior year. When he turned in his goals, he talked about the feeling of winning the championship and wanting to win another one.”

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=6429#more

lothar98zag
11-14-2007, 03:03 PM
welcome!

:clap:

UberZagFan
11-14-2007, 03:10 PM
They just keep coming...

cggonzaga
11-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Can't wait to see these guys. Let's hope Mr. Taylor will follow suit!

BobZag
11-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Very excited about Grant Gibbs and the type of game he'll bring here (see Blake Stepp), but because of Goodson, it'll make Gibbs all the better, and vice-versa. I like these two guards. No superstars here ala Daye, perhaps, but good, solid guys who really, really wanted to be Zags and totally complement each other. My biggest wish is for Poling to return to form and start improving; if he has to redshirt next season, so be it, we'll be fine with the bigs. Just get his game back with strength, bulk, good health and good coaching.

HRZag
11-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Do you realize, if Josh stays, and he should, we could go Josh, Poling, Daye and Sacre. Wow.

And that is just down low.

I've seen Poling and he could be a Singler (see Duke) like player.

Oh my goodness.

Go Zags.

UberZagFan
11-14-2007, 03:59 PM
if Josh stays, and he should,

And if he does, someone else will have to go. :(

BobZag
11-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Do you realize, if Josh stays, and he should, we could go Josh, Poling, Daye and Sacre. Wow.

And that is just down low.

I've seen Poling and he could be a Singler (see Duke) like player.

Oh my goodness.

Go Zags.

Poling really needs to get everything back that he lost last year via that illness that robbed him of his health, game, strength, bulk, etc., before he can be compared to players of Singler's caliber, but he does have potential to be darn good.

You forgot Theo. He'll be pretty good, too, I think. ;)

brasszag
11-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Gluten allergy - and back to 230 already. Makes sense and good on Andy.

it all works out.

tyra
11-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Coach Few doesn't rebuild . . . he just reloads.

kitzbuel
11-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Woohoo! Let's keep 'em coming!

Welcome aboard, guys.

theothegreat21
11-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Its exciting to have these 3 finally signed. And while I am very excited for Poling and Gibbs, I cant wait to see Meech playing here next year. He just sounds like a leader and a winner and I feel bad for opposing backcourts next year when they have Meech and LG playing suffocating defense.

BobZag
11-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Its exciting to have these 3 finally signed. And while I am very excited for Poling and Gibbs, I cant wait to see Meech playing here next year. He just sounds like a leader and a winner and I feel bad for opposing backcourts next year when they have Meech and LG playing suffocating defense.

Meech could've gone to ASU, A&M and other BCS schools for football as a CB. He'll be tough.

ZagNative
11-14-2007, 06:06 PM
I hope that Lionpride and some of the other great posters from out Iowa way will help keep us up to date on Grant's senior year at Linn-Mar. It would also be great to have a set of eyes down in Texas to help us keep track of Meech.

mendiant
11-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Welcome to the family guys! We all look forward to your being here in Spokane.
Big hugs from mendiant...how's your ZAG hair sense?
:D

RenoZag
11-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Not an endorsement, more of an FYI in line with the general topic of LOI day

STORY
(http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/111407aax.html)

1. UCLA, Four Commitments: No. 6 Jrue Holiday, 6-foot-3, CG, North Hollywood, Calif., Campbell Hall; No. 23 Malcolm Lee, 6-foot-4, CG, Riverside, Calif., J.W. North; No. 31 Drew Gordon, 6-foot-9, PF, San Jose, Calif., Archbishop Mitty; No. 35 Jerime Anderson, 6-foot-1, PG Anaheim, Calif.., Canyon.

2. Louisville, Five Commitments: No. 4 Samardo Samuels, 6-foot-8, PF, Newark, N.J., St. Benedict; No. 19 Terrence Jennings, 6-foot-10, C, Fitchburg, Mass., Notre Dame; Melquan Bolding, 6-foot-3, SG, Fitchburg, Mass., Notre Dame; Jared Swopshire, 6-foot-8, WF, Bradenton, Fla.., IMG Academy; Kyle Kuric, 6-foot-5, SG, Evansville, Ind., Memorial.

3. Florida, Five Commitments: No. 17 Eloy Vargas, 6-foot-10, PF, Plantation, Fla., American Heritage; No. 26 Kenneth Kadji, 6-foot-10, C, Bradenton, Fla., IMG Academy; No. 77 Ray Shipman, 6-foot-4, SG, Miami, Fla., Monsignor Pace; No. 86 Allan Chaney, 6-foot-9, PF, New London, Conn.; Erving Walker, 5-foot-8, PG, Middle Village, N.Y. Christ the King.

4. Kansas, Five Commitments: No. 33 Travis Releford, 6-foot-3, SG, Shawnee Mission, Mo., Bishop Miege; No. 60 Marcus Morris, 6-foot-9, PF, Pennsauken, N.J., Apex Academy; No. 82 Markieff Morris, 6-foot-10, PF, Pennsauken, N.J., Apex Academy; Top 20 JUCO talent Mario Little, 6-foot-5, WF, Chipola CC, Fla.; Quintrell Thomas, 6-foot-8, PF, Elizabeth, N.J., St. Patrick.

5. Arizona, Four Commitments: No. 1 Brandon Jennings, 6-foot-1, PG, Mouth of Wilson, Va., Oak Hill; No. 30 Emmanuel Negedu, 6-foot-7, PF, Wolfeboro, N.H., Brewster Academy; No. 34 Jeff Withey, 7-foot, C, San Diego, Calif. Horizon; Brenden Lavender, 6-foot-4, SG, Mesa, Ariz., Mountain View.

And the # 12 Ranked School ?

12. Washington, Four Commitments: No. 61 Scott Suggs, 6-foot-5, SG, Washington H.S., Mo.; No. 76 Tyrese Breshers, 6-foot-7, PF, Los Angeles Price Calif.; No. 81 Elston Turner, 6-foot-4, SG, Roseville, Calif.; No. 90 Isaiah Thomas 5-9 PG South Kent, Conn., School.

sittingon50
11-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Damn, the ewe got ANOTHER great class. There is NO WAY we beat them next year. How does lOrO do it?

ZagAddict
11-14-2007, 08:21 PM
As far as the Huskies' ranking... it's fuel for the fire each time Romar finishes out of the post season or makes an NIT appearance. :lmao:

htownzagfan
11-15-2007, 06:04 AM
I dont have much time to get on here - but I've taught Meech before and he's a great kid - you guys are getting a stud - would love to keep you guys updated on him- his team plays in a tournament starting today - will keep you guys updated on his progress - GO ZAGS!!!!

spudzag
11-15-2007, 07:44 AM
You forgot Theo. He'll be pretty good, too, I think. ;)

Will was missing from the list of bigs, too.

With the latest injury I'd guess the chances are that Josh may be around for another tour. Unless his stock goes up as a result of a "monster" performance at the dance.

cggonzaga
11-15-2007, 08:30 AM
I dont have much time to get on here - but I've taught Meech before and he's a great kid - you guys are getting a stud - would love to keep you guys updated on him- his team plays in a tournament starting today - will keep you guys updated on his progress - GO ZAGS!!!!

That would be great Htown. Thanks!

tyra
11-15-2007, 08:33 AM
My intuition isn't worth much but it is telliing me that Meech is going to help this team be exceptionally good. Here's hoping that Jeremy doesn't go out this year and can mentor him.

BobZag
11-15-2007, 09:26 AM
My intuition isn't worth much but it is telliing me that Meech is going to help this team be exceptionally good. Here's hoping that Jeremy doesn't go out this year and can mentor him.

I wholeheartedly second this.

zagsballer
11-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Definitely, it would be nice to have Pargo around as long as possible. But if he keeps playing the way he is... Well lets not go there yet, its early, but i really hope Jeremy sticks around for his senior year

ZagNut08
11-16-2007, 10:28 AM
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=910&CID=739345

breakdown of best recruit per position by confrence

West Coast Conference
Point guard: Grant Gibbs, Gonzaga
Shooting guard: Brad Tinsley, Pepperdine
Small forward: Collin Chiverton, Saint Mary's
Power forward: Tim Williams, Saint Mary's
Center: Andy Poling, Gonzaga