PDA

View Full Version : Deleted

ZagNative
11-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Angelo is quicker than anyone, as usual.

What happened to the Delete feature on this board?

Bocco
11-14-2007, 04:43 PM
It must be the measure of respect given to you and your posts by this board. 130+ views of a post/thread that basically contains nothing.

lothar98zag
11-14-2007, 04:45 PM
It did contain something earlier today.

ZN, do you want this thread nuked?

ZagNative
11-14-2007, 05:33 PM
It did contain something earlier today.

ZN, do you want this thread nuked?

Thanks, Lothar, but it's okay to leave it, with this explanation.

I had been anxiously awaiting publication of notice from the coaching staff that the letters of intent had been received, when I came across an interesting column by Seth Davis expressing his opinion that kids are better off waiting until the regular signing period in April.

To sign or not to sign (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/seth_davis/11/13/national.letter/index.html)
For recruits, Letters of Intent are not the best option
Posted: Wednesday November 14, 2007 11:30AM; Updated: Wednesday November 14, 2007 4:16PM

Imagine that you are looking for a job. You are a very sought-after candidate, and after sifting through several generous offers from prominent companies, you make your choice.

When you inform your future employer, they say they are thrilled. Then they ask you to sign a contract. You are told that you will not be able to negotiate, even if you find the provisions overly restrictive. Nor has the document been collectively bargained by a union to which you belong. What's more, this contract is completely voluntary -- you can still have the job even if you don't sign it. But if you sign and something big changes (say, your company gets into legal trouble or the boss you thought you were going to work for leaves), you can't get out of the deal unless the company wants to let you out of it.

Would you sign?

Of course you wouldn't.

Yet, beginning today and lasting through next Wednesday, hundreds of high school seniors will sign National Letters of Intent to play men's college basketball. Tens of thousands more will sign letters during the current academic year. For the most part, they will not ask whether they have to sign the letters, or whether it's a good deal for them, or whether the letter can be modified to their benefit. They will simply sign because, well, that's what everybody does.

How many of those prospects even know the NLI is completely voluntary? Or that it is unfairly tilted in favor of the schools?
I remembered an Andy Katz column last May about Jai Lucas (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2855252) and Patrick Patterson resisting all pressure and holding out for signing as late as possible in the regular signing period.

I was anxious to see our young men signed and yet have mixed feelings because I think so many of the NCAA's rules are stacked against the student athlete in favor of the interests of the institutions who control the playing field.

Anyway, when the announcement of the signing of the LOIS from our young men, I didn't want to cast a pall on our celebration of their joining our family, so I gutted the post but, apparently, am unable to leave well enough alone. :confused: