PDA

View Full Version : Your biggest surprise so far?

Reborn
11-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Mine has been LG and the impact he is making on the Zags. Whenever he comes into the game the Zags immediate take on a new aura (you can tell I'm out of the 60's generation). I can almost see a light around them. A bright light. Those who know me know that I am endeared to the concept of Fuego (which is a Spanish word for fire...in the sense of a firey spirit...I think). I am always wondering who are fire starter will be each year. So far, imo, the fire starter is LG and he's doing a great job.

We talk about his defense at great lengths, and he deserves it, but I also love to watch him rebound. When you see someone soaring several feet above the others I have come to realize that it's LG. Man can that kid jump. I also love watching LG and Pargo work their defense together. It's just good seeing those two guys playing so well together because, as we know, they came to GU together.

I must also admit that at first I was just so surprised to see him playing at all. He chances were so slim. Then I was hoping he might contribute some, but not all that much. And now....it's just really shocking really. When I see him playing the way he is I just feel a little bit like I'm dreaming because he's really someone very special.

rennis
11-14-2007, 01:49 PM
beating 3 teams by a combined 100 points. I don't care who the competition is, that's impressive.

lothar98zag
11-14-2007, 01:53 PM
How about winning by 101 points in 1 game?

123-22 (http://lipscombsports.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/111307aab.html) (div I vs div III)

Pasquino
11-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Reborn,

Appreciate the idea of an award for the "fire starter" on the team. But being how we are dealing with mythical realities, could we refer to the "fire starter" as the Vulcan or Hephaestus on the team; the Roman and Greek name respectively for the god of fire. It may harken back, for some of us, to our classes in Classical mythology with Hans Deitz.

Salve,

Pasquino

cjm720
11-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Austin Daye by far...such a stud. Smooth moves, silky shot, excellent vision, and his contribution as a frosh is pretty incredible.

What's the over/under on him making the starting line-up? I say by the UT game...sorry Downs (maybe Pendo).

Go Zags.

rennis
11-14-2007, 03:24 PM

What's the over/under on him making the starting line-up?
Go Zags.

more important, what's the over/under on you buying me a beer on a Wed. night?

thespywhozaggedme
11-14-2007, 03:56 PM
How on earth is Daye the biggest surprise so far? OKD is doing everything most people said he would, he is after all GU's greatest recruit ever. LG, without a doubt. I thought that he was going to barely get off of the bench and that might have been the case had the injuries not occurred. Now, his tenacious d with surprising ability to score, Few will b hard pressed to keep him off the floor. LG is that defensive stopper that can change the game. Oh, yeah, did I mention LG? LG by far. lol

jpwils
11-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Honestly would not be surprised to see all 3 as " finishers" of games.

I agree somebody is going to have to sit for Daye eventually.

But all 3 are our most steady players along with Pargo right now.

Heytvelt will be back before Conference starts.

Bocco
11-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Biggest surprise this year?
How much Micah seems to have committed to playing defense. And, in general the defensive effort of the entire team has been a pleasant surprise. I had just about given up on seeing a Zag team play an aggressive man to man, shut down the other team defense, hopefully they will be able to keep it up the entire season.

theothegreat21
11-14-2007, 05:42 PM
I think you nailed it Bocco. While its been surprising to see Micah struggling on the offensive end, it has been beyond encouraging seeing him playing tough defense and getting his hands on numerous passes throughout the game. It has been so fun to watch stifiling defense turn into thunderous dunks.

dim4sum
11-14-2007, 05:54 PM
My biggest surprise so far, and maybe it shouldn't be, is the demise of the zone. Hope Few doesn't use it again. Neither Raivio nor Mallon hold a candle to the current crew when it comes to D. The man to man d has been stifling so far.

gamagin
11-14-2007, 06:15 PM
to me has been the teamwork. The unselfish play. The ball movement. the decision-making. The effort to get the ball into everyone's hands and, it appears, to get everyone into the game fairly quickly.

the defense has been discussed at pretty good length, but it, too, has been inspirational. unselfish and smothering at times.

There are five threats on the floor most of the time and it wears the bad guys down.

That will be tested throuout the season, but with everyone seeming to know his role well, it is more likely it would be broken up very easily the way it might be if they weren't working together so well.

At this moment in time, there are about 10-11 players evolving into interchangeable parts of a whole. They are cooperating and seeing just how good they are and can be in the process.

Reborn
11-15-2007, 10:48 AM
gamagin writes, "At this moment in time, there are about 10-11 players evolving into interchangeable parts of a whole. They are cooperating and seeing just how good they are and can be in the process." Great point gamagin. The whole idea of team chemistry is so important.

I listened to an interview with Sacre after the Idaho game and he said that he loves it at GU mostly because he loves the guys on the team. I got a sense that the guys on the team this year are really close and a heck of a lot of fun to be with.

Argentum
11-15-2007, 11:14 AM
My biggest surprise so far, and maybe it shouldn't be, is the demise of the zone. Hope Few doesn't use it again. Neither Raivio nor Mallon hold a candle to the current crew when it comes to D. The man to man d has been stifling so far.

The current defense is great because we have better defenders this year. There's no need to throw former players from the "zone era" under the bus.

jim77
11-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Defensive intensity....hope it continues. It just goes to show what good defense can do. I don't think the offense has clicked all that well. Yet, we are winning by HUGE margins...its the DEFENSE! Bravo Ray G!

finechina2003
11-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Biggest surprise - DEFENSE. I have had to pinch myself to make sure that I am not dreaming as I watch this year's version of the Zags play defense. Hats off to Coach Few and Staff - for isn't the true measure of a coaching staff based on the strategy that is implemented, both offensively and defensively, predicated upon the hand that you are dealt.

kdoggy
11-15-2007, 11:50 AM
I hate hyping freshman, but Daye is pretty sweet. A husky buddy revealed he has a "man-crush" on him.

I guess I am not suprised, but Pargo is ridiculous.

I'll have to observe some more "d" but having an opposing guard have their "career highs" against us must stop. I am encouraged by what I am hearing.