PDA

View Full Version : Gary Parrish 11/13 blog entry on Zags

CDC84
11-14-2007, 01:09 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/columns/weblogs/entry/parrish_thoughts

'Dogs have Daye, but would be better off with Heytvelt
Updated: Nov/13/2007 03:57 PM
There's an opinion out there that Gonzaga will be fine without Josh Heytvelt because it learned to play without him late last season. On some level, that's true. But I mean, it's not like the Zags got better during Heytvelt's suspension any more than that drummer from Def Leppard got better when he lost his left arm. He could still play drums, and it's damn impressive. But I'm guessing the guy would be better with two arms just like Gonzaga would be better with Heytvelt.

In other words, losing Heytvelt isn't good.

Now that we got that out of the way, let's discuss Austin Daye, Gonzaga's 6-foot-10 freshman who will admittedly make the loss of Heytvelt not hurt as much. The California native got 20 points and 10 rebounds in his debut, and he's a special, special talent. He can grab balls off the rim like Heytvelt, and step away and sink 3-pointers, too. But Daye still isn't the same physical presence, if for no other reason than that Heytvelt carries roughly 250 pounds on his 6-11 frame while Daye doesn't approach that number.

Daye is listed at 190 pounds.

But ...

"That's a stretch," Few said. "Maybe 160. That's what he looks like, so I don't know."

Furthermore, though having Daye is nice, not having Heytvelt means the Zags can't play them together, which would be a match-up nightmare. Imagine Few trotting out a line-up of Jeremy Pargo (6-4), Matt Bouldin (6-5), Daye (6-10), Abdullahi Kusso (6-9) and Heytvelt (6-11).

"That's a big team," Few said. "But now we're back to being undersized."

So again, the Zags might be able to endure the loss of Heytvelt, and I'd bet on them being fine. But this still isn't the preferred way of doing things, regardless of how used to playing without Heytvelt Gonzaga got late last season.

Reborn
11-14-2007, 01:14 PM
I totally agree, and am so exited to see the Zags after Josh comes back. He certainly can't hurt the team any. To go where we want to go, I believe we need Josh. And Gray.

former1dog
11-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Agree with how imposing the suggested line up of Daye and Heytvelt on the floor at the same time would be. It'll be a reality soon enough. Hell, we waited through the whole off season, what's another month + ? :)

ZagnetitForce
11-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Pargo, Downs and LG with Josh and Daye! Would a team even get a shot off? Kuso and Matt and Pendo would all add dimentions to the line ups that will really have teams wondering what the heck was going on!

Then, right when a team (althoigh down by 25) think they have it figured out Few can go ahead and throw in Foster and Sacre just to mess with them!

I think we are going to have a lot of fun this year!

VinnyZag
11-14-2007, 03:25 PM
... if we had Josh AND the one-armed drummer from Def Leppard. We'd be unstoppable.

GonzagaGurl08
11-14-2007, 03:31 PM
But Daye still isn't the same physical presence, if for no other reason than that Heytvelt carries roughly 250 pounds on his 6-11 frame while Daye doesn't approach that number.

Daye is listed at 190 pounds.

But ...

"That's a stretch," Few said. "Maybe 160. That's what he looks like, so I don't know."

That just cracks me up. Austin is a little beanpole, a tall one, but a beanpole none the less. He needs to take eating lessons from Pargo. Some more COG time and he'll be fine. I'm sure he has a ridiculously high metabolism to boot.

jim77
11-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Just a few comments on Daye's size. I think this weight
room thing has been blown out of proportion. Austin doesn't need to bulk up to be good...he already is good. Unless we plan on playing him as the power forward or center he's fine the way he is. Sometimes for some people, putting on more weight doesn't make them better. In fact it slows them down or makes them more prone to injuries....Was bird Bulked up???? Stockton???? Morrison???? It just depends on ones game and body frame. Some players it helps to bulk up.....I'm not against weight lifting in fact I'm for adding strength...I just don't think its a must for EVERY player. Austin will gain as he gets older and matures.

applezag
11-14-2007, 06:22 PM
The opinion some on this board have about "bulk" and the perils of weight training baffles me. I have never heard of a player truly hurting himself as a player because he bulked up too much. No doubt, Daye will be improved in all aspects of the game with some work in the weight room. I can't think of a great NBA player of the last 15 years who did not spend significant time on the weights getting stronger. And the players mentioned all could hold their own physically on the court with anyone. I know for a fact that Stockton spent a lot of time lifting as he worked out at the same time I did in the Martin Center when I was at GU. Morrison added a lot of strength in his time at GU. Bulk is usually a result of body-type combined with lifting much moreso than a type of lifting or too much time spent in the weight room.

Added strength increases quickness, agility, and balance as well as PREVENTS injuries, not causing them. If you ask any trainer one of the biggest reasons they will advocate weights for their athletes is to prevent injuries.

Day will never be a physical specimen in the mold of a Karl Malone, his body just isn't built that way. He is an excellent player right now, but if he wants to maximize his performance he needs to work hard at getting stronger. Kevin Durant was a phenomenal college player, but in the NBA he won't be great without more strength as well. Perhaps the best example of a player who went from being really good to being out of this world in part due to added strength was none other than Michael Jordan.

kitzbuel
11-14-2007, 06:29 PM
IMO, there is a difference between building strength and bulking up. Offensive linemen bulk up, forwards need to build strength. You don't think the Sonics want Durant to get stronger? I don't think there is much argument that Daye will get better as he gets stronger. He will be able increase his shot selections because he will be able to finish better. He will still have spring in his jump shot after 25 minutes of playing.

zag67
11-14-2007, 06:48 PM
OK you play Pargo, Josh, Austin, Micah and LG. Since they will have a problem finding a good game, I will take Kuso, Davis, Sacre, Matt and Pendo. Then both of us will use Ira, Foster and Gray for our subs. That would be a fun game to watch.
Practices must be something to watch and I am glad I am not the coach:) :) .

GreenStreetElite
11-14-2007, 07:32 PM
pargo (6-4), don't know about that one, unless he grew 2 or 3 inches in the last year, correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't 6-2 be about right.

Zag79
11-14-2007, 08:02 PM
lifting weights and hoops with some people on here always cracks me up. the nonstop talk about raivio, morrison, etc needing to lift weights is almost humorous. mo and dr were both very strong, and lifted many a days. some peoples body just dont show "bulk" or thickness from working out. mo was super skinny but really strong. i understand the need for weights in hoops but sometimes its a little much.

jim77
11-14-2007, 08:13 PM
lifting weights and hoops with some people on here always cracks me up. the nonstop talk about raivio, morrison, etc needing to lift weights is almost humorous. mo and dr were both very strong, and lifted many a days. some peoples body just dont show "bulk" or thickness from working out. mo was super skinny but really strong. i understand the need for weights in hoops but sometimes its a little much.

Exactly 79.

Its not like working out is optional in Div 1 sports...all of them workout. Increasing stregth is the goal....not gaining weight. How much did lack of strength affect Durrant in college???? The guy was the POY!