PDA

View Full Version : Vote by Vote (11/13)

BobZag
11-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Gonzaga University women’s basketball team, who is coming off an impressive 91-72 victory over in-state rival the University of Washington, once again appeared among the schools also receiving votes in the latest USA Today/ESPN Division I Top 25 Coaches’ Poll. The Bulldogs garnered five votes, up from four votes last week. Gonzaga will continue the new season this Saturday as it welcomes the University of Nevada to the McCarthey Athletic Center for a noon game.

BZ: These next 3 games are huge. Nevada is decent but Montana is always tough and Marquette is in the Big East and is a very good team. And the gals won't be home again till well into December, after Tennessee, ASU and others on the road. Very tough.

zagco
11-14-2007, 08:13 PM
I watched Boise State's women's team (favored to win the WAC again this year) beat Montana last weekend. Montana was tough. They have two great big Indian girls, although they're not real mobile. Their guard is a studette, reminding Zagco a lot of a typical Montana star player. Big for a guard, smoothe, and with a real will to make things happen. Boise State didn't play real well, but one of the Lady Broncos got real hot in the second half from the 3-point line and Montana couldn't overcome it (she hit maybe 5 shots from that range in the second half).

BobZag
11-15-2007, 08:52 AM
The BSU coach and Kelly Graves are close friends, I've watched them draw up plays in his office and talk chalk a few times.

Montana always gives our girls fits. This stretch of Nevada-Montana-Marquette homestand is going to be tough, it gets tougher with each game, but imo the Zags really need to pull out W's here. IF the ladies have a great season but somehow fail to win the WCC tourney, they'll need an RPI that's high enough, plus some wins over the likes of Marquette to get an at-large bid. UW wasn't much, but it's still a Pac-10 school with decent history of success.

zagco
11-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Boise State's women's basketball coach is flat out one of THE best coaches I have ever been around. He's also a great guy. He has pretty quickly built Boise State into a near Top 20 program. Last year, his team beat La Tech in Ruston, which ended a years-long unbeaten streak against conference foes for the Lady Bulldogs. He runs a summer camp for girls, and my youngest daughter has gone to it every year he's been here. He knows her by name when he sees her, and the girls on the team do to. I'm telling you, he is a SPECIAL coach. Sadly, Boise State does not commit many resources to hoops, and I really doubt we'll be able to hang onto him for long. I sure wish we would. The crowds for women's game, not big to begin with, have probably tripled since he took over, and there is a buzz going on among hard core Bronco fans. Watch that guy. He is top flight.