Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

Yes
    Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• phxfireflames
      Kennel Club Material
      • Mar 2009

Yes

Comment

• FriarZag
        Bulldog Fan
        • Feb 2012

What would be the point of polling this topic, given that it isn’t subjective in nature?

Comment

• LTownZag
          Banned
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by FriarZag View Post
          What would be the point of polling this topic, given that it isn’t subjective in nature?
          Some people are curious about the median expectations of current events. They know what they themselves expect, they are curious what others expect. It's a natural human desire.

Also, we participate in all kinds of polls about eventual objective outcomes. How many posts have been dedicate to predicted game scores, or season records, or recruit destinations? A huge percentage of this forum.
          Last edited by LTownZag; 04-28-2020, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• FriarZag
            Bulldog Fan
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
            Some people are curious about the median expectations of current events. They know what they themselves expect, they are curious what others expect. It's a natural human desire.

Also, we participate in all kinds of polls about eventual objective outcomes. How many posts have been dedicate to predicted game scores, or season records, or recruit destinations? A huge percentage of this forum.
            Fair, but none of the examples you just listed are yes/no questions that are 100% out of the players’ and coaches’ control and won’t be decided on a basketball court. And majority of those thread examples are discussions and don’t actually have polls, where you click to vote an option. Maybe I interpreted the request in the OP too literally?

All I’m trying to say is, what’s the payoff of voting on this? There are 4 possible outcomes for a vote cast:

1. I vote yes, and there is a season: Great!
            2. I vote yes, and there is no season: I’m wrong, and this sucks!
            3. I vote no, and there is a season: I’m wrong, but great!
            4. I vote no, and there is no season: I’m right, but this sucks!

I’ll either be elated for the start of a new season or bummed beyond belief if there isn’t one. The projections seem to change daily, so imo throwing up a prediction on April 28 to see if it sticks isn’t worth much. For my own sanity, I’ll be taking the time over the next several months to prepare for both possibilities. This may or may not involve medicine of the single malt variety.

To your point about median expectations, there is far more qualitative discussion on the impact of the covid pandemic already going on in other threads, and in those threads I’ve enjoyed reading the contributions of the members of this community (including you LTown), so thanks to all for that!

Comment

• Zags11
              Banned
              • Mar 2008

Fair, but none of the examples you just listed are yes/no questions that are 100% out of the players’ and coaches’ control and won’t be decided on a basketball court. And majority of those thread examples are discussions and don’t actually have polls, where you click to vote an option. Maybe I interpreted the request in the OP too literally?

All I’m trying to say is, what’s the payoff of voting on this? There are 4 possible outcomes for a vote cast:

1. I vote yes, and there is a season: Great!
              2. I vote yes, and there is no season: I’m wrong, and this sucks!
              3. I vote no, and there is a season: I’m wrong, but great!
              4. I vote no, and there is no season: I’m right, but this sucks!

I’ll either be elated for the start of a new season or bummed beyond belief if there isn’t one. The projections seem to change daily, so imo throwing up a prediction on April 28 to see if it sticks isn’t worth much. For my own sanity, I’ll be taking the time over the next several months to prepare for both possibilities. This may or may not involve medicine of the single malt variety.

To your point about median expectations, there is far more qualitative discussion on the impact of the covid pandemic already going on in other threads, and in those threads I’ve enjoyed reading the contributions of the members of this community (including you LTown), so thanks to all for that!
              My bad. It was a question for the zag fans that are here. We talk about will they go pro or not? In the end does what we say matter? You could kill the board or members with this attitude of what should go.or stay.Im sorry we all wanna discuss something that cancelled march madness.

If i dont care for a thread, i ignore it or read it without comment. I will PM you next thread i make to see if it makes the cut. Lol

Comment

• jsnider
                Kennel Club
                • Apr 2020

I think there will be a season this year. Here is what is in question for me. (1) Will the players get on campus in June so they can practice and get to know each other in ample time. Mark Few does a fabulous job of preparation that pays dividends during the season. Will he be able to accomplish that this year? I don't know. (2) Will there be fans in the stands at the Kennel? The Kennel Club and the fans are a huge benefit to the success of the team. The home record speaks volumes and the fans are the 6th man for the Zags? (3) If there are fans what percentage of capacity will they be able to fill the arena - 25%; 50%. I don't know the answers to these questions. My guess is we don't go back to normal until we get either a vaccine or some drug intervention to combat the virus. I listened to the JNJ call last week and their estimate is that we are 12 months away in the best case scenario to a vaccine that can be commercially administered.
                Love the Zags!!!

Comment

• Mantua
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

There is news today about the possibility of the virus possibly capable of infecting us through airborne aerosol droplets as well as larger droplets. I have suspected that there was a missing link in the contagion chain. The possibility of a vaccine from Oxford University which could be ready to distribute in a little less than a year. Meanwhile, the short supply of data doesn’t provide a basis for making positive predictions. There are an awful lot of risky touch points in any kind of travel. I guess the NCAA will make the call on the 2020-21 season. I have no idea what the risk tolerance is for the NCAA.
                  Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• LTownZag
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2017

Friarzag - Thank you for the kind words of appreciation.

I am in no way an epidemiology or exponential growth modeling expert. I've tried to post links to many interesting and informed sources but I don't consider myself a very informed primary source. I think we are all safer if there is greater dissemination of the reality of the situation, and if entities which have been incorrect in their thinking explain where they went wrong so we can all learn going forward.

Comment

• LTownZag
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Mantua View Post
                      There is news today about the possibility of the virus possibly capable of infecting us through airborne aerosol droplets as well as larger droplets.
                      This is not a mere possibility and it has been the subjected of news stories for weeks now. Aerosolized transmission accounts comparison was even in the New England Journal of Medicine 2 weeks ago.

I personally do not expect an NCAA season with fans in the stands, at least more than about 1/2 capacity and enforced distancing. I could imagine some places having intentionally sparse stands and mandatory masks though.

College football is played outdoors, earlier in the fall/winter flu season, and without recirculating air.

Given that next November we will not have had widespread use of an effective vaccine, and will likely not yet have reached herd immunity or even over 20% yet infected from natural disease spread, I am having a hard time imagining authorities allowing tens of thousands of susceptible people to be clumped together indoors for 2-4 hours at a time in the height of flu season, especially including many students who soon would disperse nationally over winter break following the first 6 weeks of the season.

But that's just, you know, one man's opinion.

Comment

• willandi
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

It looks as if they might be closing in on the testing. IF there was an accurate test, this one says it can tell if a person has been exposed 14 days, or longer, ago, then the players could be brought back and, after a 14 day quarantine, could begin practicing.
                        There are assumptions, of course. They would have to only associate with others that have undergone the quarantine, and there is always a chance that someone, somewhere, will have a brief contact with another exposed person.
                        If ALL the players, coaches, officials , announcers and camera crew could/would undergo the stringent measures to enforce this, along with almost constant rechecking, a season just might go ahead.
                        As fans are checked, contact tracing put in place, the corner just might be turned.

I don't believe they will ever eradicate this, or any other, virus. They just seem to be too able to mutate, but if levels of danger can be reduced substantially, life should go on.
                        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• LTownZag
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                          I don't believe they will ever eradicate this, or any other, virus.
                          Smallpox is calling, it would like a word. (If it still existed.)

Comment

• willandi
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
                            Smallpox is calling, it would like a word. (If it still existed.)
                            Yes. There is. It is (hopefully) contained in a lab, one here at the CDC and one in Russia. I don't know how secure either of those locations would be against a serious terrorist attack to gain control of the sample.

Smallpox was eradicated worldwide in 1979, though laboratories still keep small samples of it in case it is later needed to make...
                            Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Working...
                            X