PDA

View Full Version : Sacre

roxdoc
11-13-2007, 08:27 PM
With all the concern after the Montana game, I think I'll make a comment. There was some improvement in Robert's game tonight. He played longer and seems to be getting more comfortable. Had an assist plus another except for a Foster mishandle. Had a couple of good blocks. Really needs to work of FT's, but I thought I saw some progress. And only one foul!

BroncoZAG615
11-13-2007, 08:37 PM
I thought he looked good as well. Especially in the second half. For a freshman his positioning and raw skill is exceptional. I also really enjoy seeing how vocal he is already as a frosh. He and Austin both have an attitude and swagger about them that is truly exciting to see.

ZagsGoZags
11-13-2007, 08:40 PM
absolutely
I see why everyone says he is green
he looks so inexperienced, compared to, say Gray or Daye
but effort and intensity is all over him
Remember when Batista would get his hands on a rebound? - it was all over for everybody else - he had that rebound and would lift players literally off the ground if they hung on for even a moment
Rob looks shocked and surprised when he gets a rebound in the paint and hands from everywhere start taking it from him
when he gets a pass you can tell he doesn't have the game sense to compare passing it to making a move - he just starts a move

What fabulous potential - I still think he will go deep into the NBA, but he might stay with us 3 yrs like Adam did, before advancing to NBA

anybody notice how when the ball is being whipped around, passed quickly, when Matt B. gets the ball he always stops and thinks things over

this is what Adam M. and NBA shooters don't do, when they get the ball they already have a plan they are executing - even Austin has some of that already

I wish Matt would be thinking about what he would do all the time, if he got the ball

brasszag
11-13-2007, 08:49 PM
It appears that Sacre's biggest challenge is adapting to the faster pace of play, and anticipating his moves, his teammates moves, and most importantly the opposing teams' moves accordingly.

Good hands and good instincts, he's got those.

ZagsGoZags
11-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Even in the scrimmage I saw Pendo and Kuso taking rebounds right out of his hands
He will make our opponents women lament for years to come, I predict

Yeah, Yay for the lamentations of our opponents women

Fonebone
11-13-2007, 09:06 PM
The thing that really amazes me about Rob is how quick and agile he is for a big strong 7 footer. One time he switched off onto a little guard type, and he really kept up with him moving sideways. He moves like a much smaller man than he is.

Granted, when he gets the ball on offense, things really do slow down, but he clearly has the speed if they can teach him to use it when he takes a pass in down low.

Scotto
11-13-2007, 09:47 PM
I haven't seen any games yet, but with Rob's FT's, are they all over the place? or back rim?

mendiant
11-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Hard to make free throws when you are not attempting too many shots...with not much PT...therefore, not too many chances to be fouled...time will tell.

Can't really analyze with such a small sample.

Sacre has only just begun to show us his stuff.

Looking forward to it Robert!

love,
mendiant

Scotto
11-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Well he is shooting 50% this year. Last year he was probably around 75% might be just some jitters.

mendiant
11-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Dude, "last year" he was in high school.

Probably getting more minutes...in high school.

Sacre will be just fine as a ZAG...in college...as he develops.

Scotto
11-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Dude, I'm not the one who has made 3 threads about the same topic. I just asked how his FT's were missing.

tyra
11-13-2007, 10:18 PM
If ever there was an example of expecting too much too soon, it is these comments about Robert. Before this is over, he will be a mainstay in our success. Give the young man a little more than 2 games before our expectations run over him. He probably sufferes -- quite unfairly -- in comparison to his freshman teammate (Daye) who is, well, unbelievable. The future is bright . . . and we are NOT doomed.

Nevtelen
11-13-2007, 11:44 PM
I haven't seen any games yet, but with Rob's FT's, are they all over the place? or back rim?

All back rim if i remember correctly. I'll have to check to be sure, but i think so.

Scotto
11-14-2007, 12:20 AM
All back rim if i remember correctly. I'll have to check to be sure, but i think so.

Thanks!

LongIslandZagFan
11-14-2007, 05:44 AM
You really shouldn't compare him to JP, at least not until his Junior year. JP was a JC transfer so you saw the more developed JP. Will Sacre be another JP... dunno... but the potential is there.

I will say this, kid should be majoring in broadcasting with those looks. He'll have a solid career in TV after he is done with playing pro (hopefully in the NBA).

ZagsGoZags
11-14-2007, 07:24 AM
working esp on upper body, and arm strength
he is such a strong man naturally, anyway,
with more powerful arms chest and shoulders he will rip his share of rebounds in traffic with other good Bigs

LynetteG
11-14-2007, 07:24 AM
my favorite part about Rob was watching him come onto the court last night. he had a million-dollar megawatt smile on his face. looks like he is truly enjoying his time in a Zag uni, and I couldn't be happier to see players like that, those who want to play and are hungry to do so.

TRhyno
11-14-2007, 08:07 AM
I liked the fact that Sacre wasn't quick to leave his feet while defending in the low post. He stood his ground to avoid fouls and still altered some shots. Nice to see him adjust after the Montana game. High basketball IQ.

MickMick
11-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Did Robert get the equivalent Pre-GU experience as compared to Gray or Daye? What is AAU ball like up in Western Canada?

That is what I would use as the litmus test. These elite USA recruits are getting hundreds of organized games in before college. Before this format the freshman phenom was a rarity. Magic Johnson comes to mind.

Being from Western Canada, did Sacre get comparable experience? If so, then it is plausible to compare him with a JuCo experienced Batista...similar to comparing Gray or Daye with other players.

BobZag
11-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Did Robert get the equivalent Pre-GU experience as compared to Gray or Daye? What is AAU ball like up in Western Canada?

That is what I would use as the litmus test. These elite USA recruits are getting hundreds of organized games in before college. Before this format the freshman phenom was a rarity. Magic Johnson comes to mind.

Being from Western Canada, did Sacre get comparable experience? If so, then it is plausible to compare him with a JuCo experienced Batista...similar to comparing Gray or Daye with other players.

Maybe 50% of what kids in the states get. About half of the AAU experiences. He has played in some international competitions, however.

MickMick
11-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Maybe 50% of what kids in the states get. About half of the AAU experiences. He has played in some international competitions, however.

Glad to hear that BZ. Now I look at him in a different light. Obviously the athletic talent is there. It was the basketball IQ I was concerned about. But given his background, he must be considered somewhat of a project right now. The silver lining is that his ceiling is looking very high...as in NBA potetnial.