PDA

View Full Version : Nick Geranios - AP story of Idaho Game

ZagNative
11-13-2007, 08:23 PM
This guy truly is amazing in how fast he can get a well-written story on the net:

From Yahoo.com - AP Story (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/recap;_ylt=AuGN_HKSeET5_paw8Hw5lh3evbYF?gid=200711 130233&prov=ap)

By NICHOLAS K. GERANIOS, Associated Press Writer
November 13, 2007

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) -- For half the game, Idaho looked like an interesting opponent for No. 14 Gonzaga.

But Gonzaga (2-0) played what coach Mark Few called its best defense in his tenure in the second half, holding the Vandals to 13 points on the way to an 80-43 victory on Tuesday.

"I've been here 19 years," Few said. "That's the best we've ever had."

Few was critical of his team's "casual" approach in the first half.

"We're not very good when we play 'cool,"' Few said.

Larry Gurganious, who had 7 rebounds and 3 steals in the game, kept the Zags close in the first half with his defense, Few said.

Talking about Pargo? Who else was 'cool? :lmao:

MedZag
11-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Larry Gurganious, who had 7 rebounds and 3 steals in the game, kept the Zags close in the first half with his defense, Few said.

Gotta enjoy the LG lovefest from Few.

ZagsGoZags
11-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Micah, Austin, Rob, Matt

ZagNative
11-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Few seems just as surprised as the rest of us with LG's stellar play. I sure didn't hear anything leaking out of practices about how great LG was playing.

Fonebone
11-13-2007, 08:36 PM
I seem to recall a post saying that LG was working incredibly hard prior to the start of practice and was looking really good.

MedZag
11-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Pure conjecture at this point, but having to face a future without ball could have been the best thing for LG. Few loves tough nosed guys who bring it and play above their heads, and LG is definitely the hungriest guy on the team right now. Don't know if it would be that way without that year off.

former1dog
11-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Pure conjecture at this point, but having to face a future without ball could have been the best thing for LG. Few loves tough nosed guys who bring it and play above their heads, and LG is definitely the hungriest guy on the team right now. Don't know if it would be that way without that year off.

Based on LG's freshman year, I honestly think we would have seen this with or without the injury. He's a talented and motivated kid. But, heck, what do I know, you're probably right. :D

LongIslandZagFan
11-14-2007, 05:37 AM
I'm with MedZag on this one. I seem to recall that Dan Dickau saying that the best thing for him was that redshirt season. It allowed him to watch and see the game better. I think LG is benefiting from gaining a better vision of the game and just pure hunger/increase in desire coming off a year where he wasn't sure he would ever play again.

J-Lo
11-14-2007, 07:41 AM
Lets hope that the same is true of Heytvelt. Maybe sitting out for the end of last year and first six weeks of this year will light a fire. Last year, at times, he seemed be simply going through the motions. Maybe a year off, watching from the sidelines, coupled with the events of last spring (and almost being kicked off the team) will have created a new-found appreciation for that game.

sullyzag66
11-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Few seems just as surprised as the rest of us with LG's stellar play. I sure didn't hear anything leaking out of practices about how great LG was playing.
Few said the same thing about Daye in his comments after the Montana game. Something like "we sure didn't see anything like that in practice." He attributed some of that to Pendo's fouling him incessantly. Described Daye as a "gamer".

AnonyMoose
11-14-2007, 07:59 AM
...if we played perfect basketball? Would we have won by 50? Pargo made 7 TO to his 3 AST. And the other ball handler, Bouldin, had 4 TO and 2 AST. We missed 14 FT and if LG didn't get in Foul Trouble (I believe he had to be taken out during that big run because he got his 3rd), we might have anhilated that Vandal team.

A Season AST to TO rate of
8:11