PDA

View Full Version : Let's Tamp the Brakes a Bit...

TexasZagFan
11-13-2007, 07:07 PM
What a second half tonight! Wow!!!

Having said that, this is the Zag team I expected to see based on their youth and inexperience. Ugly first half, but they more than made up for it in the final 20 minutes.

This team appears to have an intangible that has been missing for several years: they have the capability, and the desire, to put their opponent away.

Free throw shooting, except for Austin, was horrid.

We need to be patient, but I do think this team will get better as the year progresses.

My original prediction for the first ten games was 7-3, and I'm sticking with it, for now.

AnonyMoose
11-13-2007, 07:13 PM
I agree, not just that, but this is a way better defensive teams than the vapor defense known as Ammo's team a couple back.

This team, I believe, will do far better in WCC play, seeing as they can, <brutality>> stomp on their opponent's throats. I hope I can see Austin as a Sophomore or even a Junior, so we can see a team of Foster, Sacre, Daye, Bouldin and Gray. That would be a STUD cast.

BroncoZAG615
11-13-2007, 07:14 PM
The free throw shooting was a huge problem. At half it was somewhere around 54 percent.

I love Austin's attitude on the court. I don't know if you could tell on TV but when he missed free throws he was visibly angry with himself. He was even mad at himself for hitting the rim on one. The kid is going to be sensational.

AnonyMoose
11-13-2007, 07:17 PM
How was Gray on the line in HS?

We might need Pendo to NOT be the Strength coach when he graduates, look how ripped this team is, and I believe Bouldin was his partner last year.

TexasZagFan
11-13-2007, 07:39 PM
I agree, not just that, but this is a way better defensive teams than the vapor defense known as Ammo's team a couple back.

This team, I believe, will do far better in WCC play, seeing as they can, <brutality>> stomp on their opponent's throats. I hope I can see Austin as a Sophomore or even a Junior, so we can see a team of Foster, Sacre, Daye, Bouldin and Gray. That would be a STUD cast.

One season at a time, gr####opper... :D

I'm one of those geezers out there who graduated from GU long before 1999.

AnonyMoose
11-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I know. Hopes and dreams.

zagmantis2001
11-13-2007, 07:49 PM
The Kennel Club was absoluely terrible.

Four rows of the pie section were EMPTY at tipoff. By the end of the game, both of these sections on the end were not filled. If the students are not going to go to the game, the school should take these back and sell them to people that are going to show up.

CDC84
11-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Gonzaga's starting point guard can't be handing over 7 turnovers in a game. Whatever points Jeremy may have scored tonight, they were wiped out by some pretty poor decision making on his part. Much of it unforced.

Gonzaga is not going to shoot free throws as well as they have the last several seasons, but there is no reason why this team cannot shoot around 74% or something.

Once Theo gets going and GU gets Josh back, the Zags will be the best shotblocking team in the nation....if they aren't already.

AnonyMoose
11-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Yeah, those skip passes and overhead dumps to the bigs weren't really effective tonight.

TheZagPhish
11-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Gonzaga's starting point guard can't be handing over 7 turnovers in a game. Whatever points Jeremy may have scored tonight, they were wiped out by some pretty poor decision making on his part. Much of it unforced.

Amen!

theothegreat21
11-13-2007, 08:27 PM
I am very stunned to read that someone found the kennel club to be terrible today. This is my 3rd year at gonzaga and I have not missed any games. And today was one of the most consistently loud and strong performances that I can remember the KC doing. I was close to the court and am not sure about the upper levels on the sides not being filled in, but the kc was loud and excellent throughout the game

former1dog
11-13-2007, 09:31 PM

As much as I hate to admit it, you're right.

I'm going to chalk it up to a bad game, though, for Pargo. Let's see how he comes out against UC Riverside.

mendiant
11-13-2007, 09:39 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, you're right.

I'm going to chalk it up to a bad game, though, for Pargo. Let's see how he comes out against UC Riverside.

One point in Jeremy's defense...Idaho's defense was incredible during the first half. If Jeremy made mistakes, it was in underestimating his opponents ability to read him. Props to Idaho...really. They smothered and anticipated first half.

However, Jeremy should be sharper. Therefore, he spent alot more time on the bench second half than he did during the first.

He closed out the game with the warmers.

He'll be working on it.

love,
mendiant

PS Jeremy honey, eat your vegetables. :)

Nevtelen
11-13-2007, 10:55 PM

Gonzaga is not going to shoot free throws as well as they have the last several seasons, but there is no reason why this team cannot shoot around 74% or something.

Once Theo gets going and GU gets Josh back, the Zags will be the best shotblocking team in the nation....if they aren't already.

That was one of Pargo's worst games in a GU uni, IMO. Certainly his worst half. He shot badly his freshman year, but at least he mostly kept the turnovers down. Just a lot of poor decisions with the ball (and on the break! He's always been a monster on the break!) and some poor shot selection early on. I know he wants to prove he can shoot the 3, but he has to learn when it's a good time to loft a 25 footer and when it isn't. I think part of it is the learning curve from having the team change around him almost daily with all the injuries, etc.

Still, I think Pargo can/will bounce back well. At times, he has a little bit of the 'trying to do too much' syndrome that Raivio had at the beginning of last year. Idaho seemed to really know his game and be prepared and athletic enough to take him out of it to some extent. He was a monster for the Montana game, though, so I'm not worried yet.

Zag79
11-13-2007, 10:59 PM
He shot badly his freshman year, but at least he mostly kept the turnovers down. to my memory pargo had a few 5-7 to games in the past. the reason is hes so damn good that he may overpress it at times. oh well. we know it wont happen often and i wouldnt worry at all Nev.

Nevtelen
11-13-2007, 11:03 PM
to my memory pargo had a few 5-7 to games in the past. the reason is hes so damn good that he may overpress it at times. oh well. we know it wont happen often and i wouldnt worry at all Nev.

Not worried yet - its a young season and everyone has to adjust a bit, esp the PG and Pargo was solid as solid could be against Montana. It was just really ugly for a while there in the 1st. If that happens against a good opponent, GU would be toast. I have no doubt that Pargo knows this and won't do it again.

Proudzagmom
11-14-2007, 12:11 PM
I have been keeping my mouth shut about the "downfall" of the Kennel Club, but enough already. In defense of my daughter who lives, eats, and breathes Gonzaga Basketball and waited years to be a part of the Kennel Club, she chose to leave at halftime and attend her 6:00 night class. This was a choice that was extremely difficult for her. I however, commend her for actually going to class on a Tuesday night. Trust me, she debated for quite some time before she chose to leave the game. So, please give her and the other "students" a break during the week. She'll tell you she wasn't the only one who left for a night class.

ZagNative
11-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Wow, proudzagmom. No wonder you're so proud of her. Congrats on doing a nice job with your young lady.

Oregon Zag
11-14-2007, 12:39 PM
[QUOTE=CDC84;106586]

What was GU's freethrow % last year minus Ravio and Mallon? Maybe Nev can help us out with that one.

Gonzdb8
11-14-2007, 12:46 PM
I have been keeping my mouth shut about the "downfall" of the Kennel Club, but enough already. In defense of my daughter who lives, eats, and breathes Gonzaga Basketball and waited years to be a part of the Kennel Club, she chose to leave at halftime and attend her 6:00 night class. This was a choice that was extremely difficult for her. I however, commend her for actually going to class on a Tuesday night. Trust me, she debated for quite some time before she chose to leave the game. So, please give her and the other "students" a break during the week. She'll tell you she wasn't the only one who left for a night class.

i commend your daughter for making the right choice and attending her tuesday night class, but the point is probably that if she (and other KC members) plan to cut out from the game early they shouldn't take the tickets, but rather give the opportunity to another die hard fan who doesn't have tix. seems kinda selfish to take a ticket knowing that you're only gonna watch 1/2 the game.

BroncoZAG615
11-14-2007, 01:00 PM
I totally agree with Proudzagmom. I also think it is ridiculous to look down on kids who 'cut out' at halftime to go to class. Going to games is a two part process. It starts on Sunday waiting in a packed gym for a couple hours and then waiting in line for good seats. This process is pretty draining and repetitive throughout the year so I think it is unjustified to call someone selfish for taking a ticket to watch a game for only a 1/2. Besides there are 1200 tickets. I doubt many 'die hard' fans are left to give your ticket too after the Sunday distribution. Ragging on the Kennel Club for laziness and lack of numbers is one thing, but calling them selfish for leaving early because of class is not justified.

lothar98zag
11-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Why take night classes in the 1st place?

All the students know that games during the week will be in the evening...

When I was @ GU all the night classes were also offered during the day.

Rubbadub
11-14-2007, 01:04 PM
work.

Gonzdb8
11-14-2007, 02:16 PM
I totally agree with Proudzagmom. I also think it is ridiculous to look down on kids who 'cut out' at halftime to go to class. Going to games is a two part process. It starts on Sunday waiting in a packed gym for a couple hours and then waiting in line for good seats. This process is pretty draining and repetitive throughout the year so I think it is unjustified to call someone selfish for taking a ticket to watch a game for only a 1/2. Besides there are 1200 tickets. I doubt many 'die hard' fans are left to give your ticket too after the Sunday distribution. Ragging on the Kennel Club for laziness and lack of numbers is one thing, but calling them selfish for leaving early because of class is not justified.

i don't think i look down on those students, i just think they should think twice before they essentially waste a ticket to the game. gotta say i'm not too persuaded by the argument that because you stood in line throughout the year you have the right to do what you want with your ticket. i guess we just fundamentally disagree about that though. FYI - i go through the exact same waiting game (snow, rain, cold, etc, etc.) to get my tickets and if i thought i'd only be able to make 1/2 of the game because i have a regularly scheduled night class then i'd either give my ticket away or just not stand in line in the first place so another deserving soul could take my place. perhaps its "not justified" to take a ticket to a game you know you can't attend for more than 1/2. and yes, there are students who on gameday who miss on getting tix during distribution.

Proudzagmom
11-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Lothar,

You're kidding, right?

Gonzbd8:

If you knew my kid you would know how ridiculous it is to call her selfish. If she knew that she was being criticized, it would seriously hurt her. I won't apologize for a diehard fan taking a seat in the Kennel Club for the first 20 minutes, especially given that she is not one of those girls you also complain about who just takes up space talking on the phone or socializing with friends. She can give you team statistics and other info about the 2007-2008 team and the teams from the past eight years, which is when she began watching them at 13 years old. When she was registering for her classes over six months ago and considering her work schedule, the basketball schedule (which obviously wasn't made up yet) and other factors, she didn't think to herself "Oh well, if I only make some of the games until halftime, too bad for the other students who have to miss the game completely." It's not who she is and again, those who know her, including some of the players themselves, probably do not fault her for wanting to attend half of the game to cheer them on.

I truly was just going to let it rest, but if I don't defend my daughter, who will? I'm proud of her for a reason; many reasons. Okay, I'm done.

lothar98zag
11-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Lothar,

You're kidding, right?

Not kidding.

If someone is going to agonize over missing part of or all of a guys game due to their class schedule - or skip a class to attend a game, then they should make sure conflicts won't occur in the first place - i.e. don't take night classes. Unless there are certain classes only offered at night...

Anyway, this isn't directed at your daughter. It doesn't bother me one bit she did what she did. But it certainly sounds like she wishes she could've seen the whole game AND attended class...

Proudzagmom
11-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Lothar,

I really thought you were joking and knew that unfortunately some classes are only offered at night and only once a week. As a junior who is making sure that she has the classes she needs to graduate on time the following year, she didn't have a choice. Also, some of the classes she wanted were already full when it was her turn to register. Dang, I wish I didn't feel the need to respond. . . I know you are not attacking her personally.

Zag79
11-14-2007, 07:21 PM
ok enough whining about who leaves when and for what. just my opinion, but if your going to take the tickets, USE them. if you cant make but hallf the game give them to people that can be there for all of it. if you use your tix for a half of the game, and the KC sucks or is too quiet due to many students doing that then too bad! but back to the topic of Pargo and TO's. how come all the ragging on Pgo with no mention of matt? im not one for standing up for one person by degrading another player but this is a reality. matt had 4 tos in 12 less minutes PT then pargo, and sure handled the rock alot less. we dont need to blow it out of proportion if we arent going to look at it as a whole. but im not concerned with either of them and TOs as i believe it will not be a trend.

Proudzagmom
11-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the advice ZAG79. No more whining.

Zag79
11-14-2007, 08:10 PM
my comment wasnt directed at you proudzagmom, just the thread in general. i should have chosen my word of choice better. how about, bickering? ;) sorry if i offended you. i know where you are coming from and at the same time agree with lothar and others on this.

Proudzagmom
11-14-2007, 08:23 PM
We're good. It's just the mom in me getting me into trouble again. But, your post means a lot. Thanks.;)

Zag79
11-14-2007, 08:24 PM
if you knew my mom you would laugh. you and her would make quite the "MOM'LL GET YA" club. ;)

TexasZagFan
11-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Way to hijack my thread, folks! :mad:

jk :D

MedZag
11-14-2007, 10:37 PM
When I was at gonzaga, we specifically refused to register for classes that overlapped with known basketball time slots.

Crazy? Maybe. Fandom? Definitely.

And during march madness we just hoped we chose professors who would cancel class for games. If not, we were skipping.

Addendum: This is meant at no disrespect to the academically motivated and responsible students of Gonzaga. *double chest bump* Mad props.

former1dog
11-15-2007, 05:40 AM
When I was at gonzaga, we specifically refused to register for classes that overlapped with known basketball time slots.

I had a rule, which I seldom broke, of no classes before 10 am and none after 3 pm. GU B-Ball games, honestly had nothing to do with it. Graduated in 4 years. :D

zagfaninmt
11-15-2007, 05:57 AM
You do realize it costs $3/minute per class at GU?

BobZag
11-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Not kidding.

If someone is going to agonize over missing part of or all of a guys game due to their class schedule - or skip a class to attend a game, then they should make sure conflicts won't occur in the first place - i.e. don't take night classes. Unless there are certain classes only offered at night...

Anyway, this isn't directed at your daughter. It doesn't bother me one bit she did what she did. But it certainly sounds like she wishes she could've seen the whole game AND attended class...

This is rich. How about very few, if any, of the men's team ever watch a women's game, but the whole damn women's team is there to cheer on and support the men. Sitting below me Sunday was Michelle Elliott, Courtney Vandersloot, Tiffanie Shives, Janelle Bekkering, Vivian Frieson, Claire Raap, the entire team. I can count on one hand the women's games where more than one man was watching. And Coach Kelly Graves is seen at a good many men's games with his family. But what do the men do to support the women? Zilch. You never ever see Few, Rice, Lloyd at a women's game. Never. I don't know RayG well enough to say. Grier couldn't stand women's basketball and mocked me when I told him I was going to a game; I'm glad his a$$ is now in San Diego, he's a pompous jerk and they can have him. Rice calls women's hoops, well, it's a family forum and there are parents of female students on here. And yet, there the gals are, in the stands cheering on their fellow Zags. The 1pm and 5pm game times were arranged long after class times were arranged. 7pm was once the norm. I'd be informed first, post second.

lothar98zag
11-15-2007, 10:04 AM
...unfortunately some classes are only offered at night...

Never came across that when I was @ GU. Certainly is an unfortunate situation. Glad I was never forced to take a night class.

GonzagaGurl08
11-15-2007, 11:04 AM
This is rich. How about very few, if any, of the men's team ever watch a women's game, but the whole damn women's team is there to cheer on and support the men. Sitting below me Sunday was Michelle Elliott, Courtney Vandersloot, Tiffanie Shives, Janelle Bekkering, Vivian Frieson, Claire Raap, the entire team. I can count on one hand the women's games where more than one man was watching. And Coach Kelly Graves is seen at a good many men's games with his family. But what do the men do to support the women? Zilch. You never ever see Few, Rice, Lloyd at a women's game. Never. I don't know RayG well enough to say. Grier couldn't stand women's basketball and mocked me when I told him I was going to a game; I'm glad his a$$ is now in San Diego, he's a pompous jerk and they can have him. Rice calls women's hoops, well, it's a family forum and there are parents of female students on here. And yet, there the gals are, in the stands cheering on their fellow Zags. The 1pm and 5pm game times were arranged long after class times were arranged. 7pm was once the norm. I'd be informed first, post second.

I agree BZ. There are way more girls at guys games, than guys at the girls games. Though the guys are catching on, it will just take some time. Also, we choose our fall classes in the middle of the spring semester. At that time you have NO clue when bball games are going to be. Most people can't afford to spend an extra semester or year at GU to accomodate their schedules around basketball. The women have some really great talent this year that people are going to miss out on. That said I have a night class on Tuesday's and our prof arranged for those of us who were going to the game to take the weekly quiz beforehand. JMO.

former1dog
11-15-2007, 11:18 AM
OH, OH.... Here we go. :(

Bob and GUGurl, I have zero sympathy and here's why.

When I was a student athlete at GU our team, relative to conference competition, was the most successful on campus. Despite this, not a single athlete from any other team ever attended one of our meets except my childhood friend who happened to be on the Men's basketball team. Hell, it was banner day when 2 of my prof's showed up for one of our home meets!

Did this bother me? Not a heck of a lot because my sport doesn't happen to be a hugely popular spectator sport like Men's BBall. People attend a sporting event first and foremost because it is entertainment, second because they may have family or friends participating, and thirdly to support their school.

Women's basketball, however un PC it might seem, has been proven to be less popular as entertainment than a lot of other sports. This isn't a unique circumstance to Gonzaga. So, when GU women's teams doesn't pack em in like the men's team, just remember they're drawing probably 1000 times(actually this number is probably low) more spectators than old F1Dog ever did. ;)

lothar98zag
11-15-2007, 12:09 PM
...Also, we choose our fall classes in the middle of the spring semester. At that time you have NO clue when bball games are going to be. Most people can't afford to spend an extra semester or year at GU to accomodate their schedules around basketball...

I know when classes are chosen. All I'm saying is that it is well known that every year basketball games will be played in the evening (5pm or later) on weeknights - any/every night of the week.

So if you want to avoid class conflicts you don't take night classes. It's as simple as that. I and 1,000s of other GU students managed to graduate in 4 years w/o taking night classes. So it can be done.

I do understand that a student may end up in a situation where they have to take a night class (because it's the only time it's offered, or it's the only way to get one's full schedule lined up, etc) but if you voluntarily take a night class, you should'nt complain when a game is scheduled the same time as your class.

zagmantis2001
11-15-2007, 01:23 PM
I never went to a women's game until this year and really had no interest in going. They beat the crap out of UW and it was really fun to watch. Are they dunking? No. But they play their hearts out and their fast breaks and passing were awesome. It was really a great game.

BTW, Heytvelt, Pargo and Sorrenson were in the stands for the game.