View Full Version : Second Half defense/Kennel Club

GU32
11-13-2007, 06:07 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best defense Gonzaga has EVER played.

Kennel Club sounded great all night:clap: :clap:

TM27
11-13-2007, 06:17 PM
from a disgusting half...to possibly the best all around half I have seen GU play. 13 points (partly contributed to by a Shaq like effort at the free throw line by Idaho) is not many points. But to bring it back to earth...this team has MUCH to work on. Pargo must realize that he is the LEADER on this team...know when it is time for a home run, and when its not!

Akzag
11-13-2007, 06:21 PM
from a disgusting half...to possibly the best all around half I have seen GU play. 11 points (partly contributed to by a Shaq like effort at the free throw line by Idaho) is not many points.

Hey! Don't be dissing Shaq ... He could make 50 % when he is on his game.

4-18 ... sheesh.

ZagManFan
11-13-2007, 06:22 PM
10 blocked shots is VERY impressive as well.

kitzbuel
11-13-2007, 06:28 PM
OK - who do you think gave the half-time talk? Few or Giacoletti? My suspicion is that something about defensive intensity was perhaps mentioned.

TheZagPhish
11-13-2007, 07:32 PM
OK - who do you think gave the half-time talk? Few or Giacoletti? My suspicion is that something about defensive intensity was perhaps mentioned.

I think Few had a few thoughts to express, but yeah, I suspect that Ray G. probably brought some heat.

AnonyMoose
11-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Hopefully the kids will be insynch with eachother by 12/5, because they were so loud, they couldn't hear the other side of the stands :D

zagmantis2001
11-13-2007, 07:54 PM
I put this on another thread, but it doesn't show up on my computer.

The Kennel Club didn't even show up. Terrible. Four rows of the section next to the band at were EMPTY at tipoff. The other section on the opposite side wasn't full either. By the end of the game, they still were not full. If the kids aren't going to show up for games, take these sections back and sell them as season tickets. Absolutely pathetic.

theothegreat21
11-13-2007, 08:30 PM
First off I thought the kennel club was outstanding today. Consistenly loud and disruptive and tons of energy. One of the best performances in my 3 years here so far. One other thing you must realize zagmantis is that classes go from 3:45-5:00 on Tuesdays and Thursdays so many students were rolling in at the end of there day. With or without the sections next to the band being filled the kc rocked tonight and I was truly proud to be a member

ZagNut08
11-13-2007, 08:34 PM
early tipoff for students, and many had important classes to attend. You will find that a lot of teachers who do not cancel class will give quizes/tests on game days to ensure you can't skip. A lot of people came at half/left at half. Also, a reason people will come for a minute or two is to ensure they are on the top of the list for wcc tourney tickets which is gaged based on attendance of home games.

The KC had its moments, died down at times, but far from pathetic...

also, those seats you mentioned ammount to about 40 seats

sooo...1160 were there

ZagsGoZags
11-13-2007, 08:47 PM
the TV announcers said that when Idaho came steaming from behind in the first half, and got ahead, that the faithful, loud noise from the fans sparked the players and got them going again

if this is true, go ahead and be the heavy drinkers you have been accused of being recently

BroncoZAG615
11-13-2007, 09:11 PM
I agree ZagsGoZags, when Idaho got up, the Kennel really pumped up the noise and I thought the typical letdown at the start of the second half was avoided by the sense that Idaho might actually put up a good fight.

To address the empty seats at the end, as theo pointed out many classes end at 5 and many classes begin around 6:30 or 7. These night classes are nearly impossible to miss because they are once a week. You can tell who is leaving early because at halftime instead of eating and socializing, students are buried in Shakespeare or Business books.

Nonetheless, I thought the Kennel was great in the face of the challenge Idaho put up and really did the legacy of the club proud tonight

Doktorkev
11-13-2007, 09:22 PM
But after the game It looked like Pfeifer was asking Few what he said to the boys at half. Whatever it was I hope he commits it to memory!

ZagNut08
11-13-2007, 10:14 PM
another reason there are often some empty seats in the corners is that more than 1 student occupy a seat in most of the section. There are usualy 2-3 extra students per row in the rows closer to the courts. There were 3 in my row tonight, so that is another cause. Just because there are empty seats doesn't mean all 1200 aren't there

st. al
11-13-2007, 10:18 PM
early tipoff for students, and many had important classes to attend. You will find that a lot of teachers who do not cancel class will give quizes/tests on game days to ensure you can't skip. A lot of people came at half/left at half. Also, a reason people will come for a minute or two is to ensure they are on the top of the list for wcc tourney tickets which is gaged based on attendance of home games.

The KC had its moments, died down at times, but far from pathetic...

also, those seats you mentioned ammount to about 40 seats

sooo...1160 were there

teachers pushed ours back to 7:15

good stuff:D

Zag79
11-13-2007, 10:53 PM
in defense of the KC, i think the 5pm tipoff sucks for most of us. i dont get off work until 5 or 6 m-f, and actually take off work early on game days. (thanks boss). :D the crowd was late in arriving and getting going due to the time of the game.

jbslicer
11-14-2007, 05:17 AM
The Kennel Club did another good job last night. Take away the KC and the MAC is pretty quiet.

LynetteG
11-14-2007, 07:30 AM
I don't know if it's the same for students, but for GU staff if they get a ticket for game day and don't use it they get a warning. Second time they miss a game they got a ticket for they have to skip two games before getting another ticket. Third game missed, no more tickets.

zagmantis2001
11-14-2007, 08:03 AM
The point is, at tipoff, there were four to five rows of the pie section that were absolutely empty. That is not 30 or 40 students. The other section on the end was also not full. By the end of the game, they still were not full and there were a few pockets in the center section that were not occupied. This should not be happening with a team ranked #14 in the nation with a waiting list a mile long for tickets.

SWZag
11-14-2007, 08:43 AM
I don't know if it's the same for students, but for GU staff if they get a ticket for game day and don't use it they get a warning. Second time they miss a game they got a ticket for they have to skip two games before getting another ticket. Third game missed, no more tickets.

I think that is a great process. Ensures that student tickets aren't falling on into hands who might not even go to the game.

Also, it was mentioned in a post that "without the KC, the MAC would be quite." Why is that? That shouldn't be the case. Yes, the KC is a huge part of the game and they should be loud, but why can't every other fan be loud? Just because they aren't as young as they once were doesn't mean they can't scream and be loud as well. Why go to the game and be a bump-on-a-log? I think it shouldn't be the KC's fault (the whole time) if the crowd isn't loud, it's EVERYONE'S responsibility, student, businesman, lawyer, doctor, janitor, grandparent, you name it.

SWZag

lothar98zag
11-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Also, it was mentioned in a post that "without the KC, the MAC would be quite." Why is that? That shouldn't be the case. Yes, the KC is a huge part of the game and they should be loud, but why can't every other fan be loud? Just because they aren't as young as they once were doesn't mean they can't scream and be loud as well. Why go to the game and be a bump-on-a-log? I think it shouldn't be the KC's fault (the whole time) if the crowd isn't loud, it's EVERYONE'S responsibility, student, businesman, lawyer, doctor, janitor, grandparent, you name it.

SWZag
:clap: :clap:

lothar98zag
11-14-2007, 09:04 AM
another reason there are often some empty seats in the corners is that more than 1 student occupy a seat in most of the section. There are usualy 2-3 extra students per row in the rows closer to the courts. There were 3 in my row tonight, so that is another cause. Just because there are empty seats doesn't mean all 1200 aren't there
This is why I think they should give out more than 1200 student tix*. Cram more people in the MAC. I'm sure the place is fire coded for a lot more than 6k (think - seats filling the floor for a concert), so there is no reason not to cram the students in to their section. They do it to themselves anyway...

*Or give out 1200 for just 1100 "seats" and sell the extra as single game tix to young alumni or to the general public...

gamagin
11-14-2007, 10:17 AM
did great at the Idaho game.

as for the rest of the fans, I wouldn't count on continuous, head splitting energy to come from the masses the way it does from the KC.

For one thing, there are alot of promotions going on during timeouts, halftime and so forth.

And frankly, I am not willing to stand up and wave and scream for a Thomas Hammer T shirt.

I CANNNNNNT HEEEEEARRRRRRRR YOUUUUUUUUU coming from the announcer just doesn't cut it.

Same with the efforts to make us get sweatty over the half court shooting or some other non game related schtick.

I looked around my space and saw alot of folks who were getting reacquainted with their families, seatmates and neighbors during these breaks in the game.

One was a doctor whose son, another doctor, clearly caught up in conversation. a dad was busy tickling his kids and horsing around.

the fellow behind me, a realtor, was talking to his wife. and so on.

but during the game. In the heat of most moments, nearly all were on their feet cheering. Not incessantly, but clearly in response to the action as it was taking place.

I think the difference between the crowd and the KC is the KC is the cheering section. the rest of us are going to be more selective.

So whatever they do to keep it up is really part of what the KC is about.

and if they can be creative and funny and have a good time in the process, well, it shows. and if not, that shows, too.

frankly, this run of GU success is so tremendous, so incredible and so historic to the school, that it's well worth mentioning again and again, and celebrating as often as we can, with cheers and words.

and I think we do, each in our own way.

TimZag
11-14-2007, 10:19 AM
This is why I think they should give out more than 1200 student tix*. Cram more people in the MAC. I'm sure the place is fire coded for a lot more than 6k (think - seats filling the floor for a concert), so there is no reason not to cram the students in to their section. They do it to themselves anyway...

*Or give out 1200 for just 1100 "seats" and sell the extra as single game tix to young alumni or to the general public...I'm pretty sure they do that. I've arrived at the MAC just before tipoff a few times and had to stand in the aisle (and argue with the ushers who tell me to find a seat that doesn't exist).

kyle dixon
11-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Never ceases to amaze me. Fourth year in a row a person gets a free ticket two rows behind me and tells me and my group to sit down. Nice. Does anyone else get this from other fellow fans?:mad:

ZagnetitForce
11-14-2007, 10:35 AM
"Never ceases to amaze me. Fourth year in a row a person gets a free ticket two rows behind me and tells me and my group to sit down. Nice. Does anyone else get this from other fellow fans"

Yep! At least 3 or 4 times a season. Really ticks me off. I've brought this up a few times and there is a pretty divided opinion on it. Go crazy for your team and damn the rest or respect your fellow fan who feels they have just as much right to sit as you do to stand. I tried the "no you stand" once and that did bnot go over well. I was disapointed to have other fans in my area support the sitter (non-season ticket holder) over the season ticket holding stander. Bummed me out. I have taken to the sitting approach now unless somebody in front of me is standing.

zagfan07
11-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Never ceases to amaze me. Fourth year in a row a person gets a free ticket two rows behind me and tells me and my group to sit down. Nice. Does anyone else get this from other fellow fans?:mad:

I hate to bring the game up, but the worst I've ever experienced was sitting in the student section at the Oakland arena for the UCLA game 2 years ago. GU fans couldn't fill their section, so some of the tickets were sold to UCLA fans, who sat behind the students. We did our usual standing the entire game and cheering for the team as we raced out to a big lead. I was spit on and had food thrown at me, not to mention being yelled at constantly. When we lost, we had to hear each and every one of the UCLA people give their thoughts on the game to us as we sat in disbelief. You should feel lucky that GU fans have a little more respect.

Ooh, those are bad memories. Sorry to bring that up. :o

ZagNative
11-14-2007, 10:43 AM
What? No sympathy for the vertically challenged among us? If you stand all the time in front of some of us shorties, we see nothing. :confused:

Reborn
11-14-2007, 11:54 AM
A great thread. I love it because I love the Kennel Club. They're a big part of Zag lore. I believe they arrived and did their job quite well last night. I put out a challenge to them yesterday as one of my hopes to see last night. And I did see them, and as was said, well enough to get the game announcers to point it out. I say to get off the Kennel Clubs back and THANK THEM for the great job that they do.

THANK YOU KENNEL CLUB. Keep it up. Get crazy. Be crazy. Get down!!!:D

lawzag
11-14-2007, 12:21 PM
I thought the KC did a great job last night.
The kids were LOUD & RAMBUNCTIOUS (sp?) just the way they should be.
They certainly were WAY more energetic than the rest of the crowd (3,000+), most of whom only cheered occasionally & s few who didn't seem to cheer/yell/wakeup at all.
Sometimes I felt like a fool jumping up & cheering when most around me just sat there...then I thought - to he** with it, these are the ZAGS! & did it anyway.

Keep it up KC!

Zag79
11-14-2007, 07:38 PM
"Never ceases to amaze me. Fourth year in a row a person gets a free ticket two rows behind me and tells me and my group to sit down. Nice. Does anyone else get this from other fellow fans"

Yep! At least 3 or 4 times a season. Really ticks me off. I've brought this up a few times and there is a pretty divided opinion on it. Go crazy for your team and damn the rest or respect your fellow fan who feels they have just as much right to sit as you do to stand. I tried the "no you stand" once and that did bnot go over well. I was disapointed to have other fans in my area support the sitter (non-season ticket holder) over the season ticket holding stander. Bummed me out. I have taken to the sitting approach now unless somebody in front of me is standing.
ill stand whenever i want! a big 3, a dunk, LG leaving the court for a breather after a great 5 minutes on the court (standing 0), anytime. its a game, you go to it to be part of the atmopshere. if you want to sit and wathc the whole game either A, do it at home or for those of you that pay for tix like i do but dont want to stand, fine. but im still going to. :lmao:

bulldogshawn
11-14-2007, 08:45 PM
I hate to bring the game up, but the worst I've ever experienced was sitting in the student section at the Oakland arena for the UCLA game 2 years ago. GU fans couldn't fill their section, so some of the tickets were sold to UCLA fans, who sat behind the students. We did our usual standing the entire game and cheering for the team as we raced out to a big lead. I was spit on and had food thrown at me, not to mention being yelled at constantly. When we lost, we had to hear each and every one of the UCLA people give their thoughts on the game to us as we sat in disbelief. You should feel lucky that GU fans have a little more respect.

Ooh, those are bad memories. Sorry to bring that up. :o

I agree 110%, this was the worst feeling I've ever had during a game. The ushers kept yelling at us to sit down in our seats, and we kept trying to hover or sit on top of the backs of our chairs. 2 or 3 UCLA fans kept bringing it up, talking to the ushers and such. I saw those same people throwing popcorn at us a few minutes later. Went and talked to the ushers about it and was told I'd be thrown out if I didn't go back to my seat. Disgusting feeling as they paraded by us celebrating after the game while most of sat shocked.

I posted this here (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=6811), saying that I expect more of the same the rest of the year. Ray is a great defensive minded coach and will help tremendously to make halftime adjustments on the defensive end. The rest of our staff does a great job of making these adjustments offensively, Ray's effect on the 2nd half of the game will be tremendous.

ZigZag10
11-15-2007, 12:59 AM
ill stand whenever i want! a big 3, a dunk, LG leaving the court for a breather after a great 5 minutes on the court (standing 0), anytime. its a game, you go to it to be part of the atmopshere. if you want to sit and wathc the whole game either A, do it at home or for those of you that pay for tix like i do but dont want to stand, fine. but im still going to. :lmao:

As a season ticket holder as well i say we too get louder, we are the Zags. It is not just the kennel klub we too should do are part, join the kennel in their various cheers. SO stand when you want and yell we you need too. see ya loud and clear Saturday.

Go Zags.

cair3
11-15-2007, 09:35 AM
FWIW....I suggest the entire front row paint their chests in black and white stripes, and then put their shirts on....lifting their shirts every time a crappy call goes down. Now that...would look cool on tv, yes you'd get in trouble, but hey? They'll get over it.

such a good idea. we need a new way to heckle refs in a visible manner

ZigZag10
11-15-2007, 12:44 PM
does anyone have contact to pitch this idea to the kennel klub?

sittingon50
11-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Props to the KC. I would give them a solid B for the Idaho game. Stayed in it pretty well even after it got out of hand.

zagsballer
11-15-2007, 02:57 PM
I agree, the kennel did pretty well even as it got to be a 40 point lead, but others have been correct when they said that the student section didn't even fill up. The back 3 or 4 rows in the corners were still open in the second half.

I also agree that without the KC the MAC would be awfully quiet. Its a sad truth. So... Keep it up KC, you guys pull your own weight and more.

ZagNut08
11-15-2007, 10:15 PM
does anyone have contact to pitch this idea to the kennel klub?

many of them read this board regularly