• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • former1dog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Pre game rituals, superstitions, et al, compilation thread

I really don't have any, but I'm thinking it might be fun to start some in the next few years for the entertainment value to my boys.
  • Rubbadub
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

don't have any.
    sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

• sonuvazag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I put the opponents colors below the Zag colors in the room as a sign of submission. I also have a lighter on hand because when I flash it at the tv it can be distracting to the opposing team.

Woohoo. Post 100. I'm a Zaf go life.
      Agent provocateur

Comment

• Akzag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Gotta Bump the Bunnies a few times on game day ... gotta crank Zombie Nation ...
        So many brackets, so little time.

Comment

• a13coach
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

The previous few years I would wear a GU clothing article only in odd numbers. If I wore a GU t-shirt with a GU sweat-shirt over it I had to put on a GU cap just to make it an odd number.

I know I know pretty strange.
          There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
          Those who understand binary and those who do not.
          "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO
          sigpic
          E .· ` ' / ·. F
          The FOO fuels me.

Comment

• RenoZag
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

On game days I wear something with either the Zags' logo or "Gonzaga University".

Prior to the game, I burn an effigy of Dick Vitale in the backyard whilst annointing the ground with sunflower oil and bbq sauce. . .
            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• RenoZag
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Bump for the 2010 - 2011 Season. . .
              The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Pargo the Destroyer
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2008

I have 3 pairs of GU BBall shorts. If I am watching the game at home, i will wear one of those 3 pair. If we win, the next game gets the same shorts, if we lose, rotate. Im not sure what the records are for each set of shorts. I will start counting this year.

Comment

• former1dog
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Find the game listed on the tv guide.

Set my DVR.

Avoid this site until I get a chance to watch the game, usually after my kids go to bed.

Put up with my wifes teasing as inevitably she'll peak at the score at some point and threaten to reveal it to me, thus ruining it for me. Grrrr.

Comment

• JLGutrocks
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I gear up the fam and watch/bump the bunnies with my oldest. I wear the same gear for each game until a loss when the luck runs out of it. Only then can it be washed. Sometimes I will change gear/drink at halftime if I feel we need some new luck
                    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.” ~Jack Handey~

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                      Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
                      • Feb 2007

For the first game of the season, I wear my zags jersey under my work dress shirt (it makes me feel like Superman for some reason).

On gamedays, my palms sweat like a mug, and I send out a text to about 6 of my friends periodically. The text basically says something like "Gonzaga vs St. Marys in T-Minus 2 hours, S-town represent!!! HOLLLAAAAA!!! Bia Bia!!" I've been doing this every game for at least 4 seasons. I'm quite sure 2-3 of those friends hate when I send those. haha

I usually do jumping jacks or hop around for a minute or two right before the game starts, just to make sure my blood keeps flowing and I don't pass out.
                      Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• zagzilla
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

What are your Zags superstitions or rituals to ensure victory?

I know we all want to do whatever we can to make sure the Zags win. Do you do (or not do) certain things or wear certain clothes during the game to help make shots fall, whistles go our way and our guys play their best?

Speaking for myself, back in '06 I bought a really cool looking T-Shirt when GU played Duke at Madison Square Garden. It had Spike in a Santa hat dunking a basketball. You all remember we got clobbered that game and whenever I wore that shirt on game day the Zags would lose - including the notorious Steph Curry game. Before the W Kentucky 2nd round game the next season, my family (including my sons) gathered and we ripped that shirt apart, doused it in rum and burned it in the yard. Everybody then took a shot right before tip off. We all know what happened next. Meech hit the game winning shot to put us into the Sweet 16. I hate to think what would have happened if we hadn't exorcised the demons in that damned shirt.

What about the rest of you? How do you crank up the mojo for the Zags for the dance?

Remember, it's not weird if it works!

ZZ

Comment

• gueastcoast
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Another great thread.

I have a closet full of Zags t-shirts that are curated depending on the type of game (too complicated/boring to get into here, lol). And of course I change the rules when the mood suits.

In the 2015 Elite Eight year I had this thing about adjusting the lighting in the room (typically my den) depending on the ebb and flow of the game. Superstitious much?

A bit OT, but I was so anxious during the Wichita State game that I overimbibed a bit and to this day I don't understand how we lost the lead, because, well, I was having a hard time following the flow of the game in real time
                          Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                            • Feb 2007

Only one current shirt seems to be lucky. Will be wearing that one throughout the tourney.
                            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2013

Nothing. I used to and none of them got me to the final four
                              Qualified for 25 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

13 Sweet Sixteens (8 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

Working...
                              X