• sittingon50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Withers: Banchero & UW's history with talent

But we don't play nobody.
  • MDABE80
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Very well conceived and written. I hope we do get Paulo but the competition is as stiff as it gets....

Comment

• ProVeeZag
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2011

Withers nails it again, very interesting article. He did his homework in digging up this info. Thx "Sittingon50" for posting the link.
      "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
      —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• TacomaZAG
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

Thanks, S50, nice read. It is sort of mind boggling how they consistently do less with more over on Montlake. Hard to determine why, as Withers notes, but it continues with Hopkins. A new spin on it is how on earth did the Fusky staff allow Quade Green to become academically ineligible?? I'm sure they have multiple guys on staff whose only job is to monitor academic standing, and make adjustments where necessary to keep the guys on the floor.

As I said................mind boggling.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• zag944
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

They have a lot of previous players and local NBA talent that didn't even go to UW that give a strong sense of community in the Seattle area. I can see why it would be cool and enticing to be brought into that fold. GU does this really well too but the pond is smaller than the greater Seattle area.

The tournament is one of my favorite things in sports but if I were I 17 or 18 years old with my sights realistically set on a high draft pick into the NBA I dont know how I'd feel. I'm sure its important to many, but almost negligible to some. Or maybe some are so confident in their abilities they just think a team with them on it is a shoo in for success.

Comment

• Bogozags
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2008

I've realized this for years BUT for some reason those Seattle area kids continue to go to UW!!! Evidently they don't have a real interest in playing in the Tournament or there is something fishy going on...maybe all those players are getting free "fish tacos!"

Comment

• scrooner
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TacomaZAG View Post
              I'm sure they have multiple guys on staff whose only job is to monitor academic standing, and make adjustments where necessary to keep the guys on the floor.
              I don't know how it works there, but I pretty much have a full-time job making sure my kid turns everything in at school, and he still missed like 10 assignments in his physics class. Ayayay....

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
                I don't know how it works there, but I pretty much have a full-time job making sure my kid turns everything in at school, and he still missed like 10 assignments in his physics class. Ayayay....
                I feel your pain...my son turns 18 on Saturday, and I get an occasional email from his teachers...senioritis can be as deadly as a coronavirus it seems.

Comment

• webspinnre
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
                  For real. And I've only got a middle schooler so far. On to junior high next year...
                  I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2008

Quade only had to go to school for how long to be eligible for the season? Is it one quarter? People around here have mentioned how the one-and-doner's only go to class for a little bit to meet the requirements and I forgot what it was...

Comment

• hockeyzag
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Jul 2007

Man oh man do I love Bud. The guy just keeps putting out quality stuff.

It's so eye opening to finally have a clearly laid out argument for this strange phenomenon UW basketball has had since 2007.
                      Last edited by hockeyzag; 02-19-2020, 01:44 PM.
                      "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
                      -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

• Mantua
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2007

Withers wrote that coaches may be tempted to point out UW’s record. I doubt that they would make that mistake. It would be bad manners at this point and Banchero is well aware.
                        Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• zag944
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mantua View Post
                          Withers wrote that coaches may be tempted to point out UW’s record. I doubt that they would make that mistake. It would be bad manners at this point and Banchero is well aware.
                          UK has grabbed a few prized UW commits in the past...I wonder...

Comment

• CB4
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2009

"You're a one and done from Seattle. Do you want to stay in the state and guarantee that in your one year you will play in the NCAA tournament? Do you want to pad your numbers in 40 point blowouts in 10 of 16 WCC games and the 8 cupcakes we play each year? Do you want to try and win a national championship, follow in the footsteps of other players who have left Gonzaga for the NBA and actually learn something in practice and in games? If so join the Zags!"

Comment

• seacatfan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2014

Certainly choosing GU over UW would just about guarantee more wins and more post season success in college. As far as what it means for the NBA, I don't think it's all that clear cut. Sabonis is a star, Hachimura and Clarke may well be also. Other than that, the GU guys have mostly been journeymen in the NBA. Some Husky alums have done quite well as pros. They have plenty of journeymen as well, but I don't really see a stark contrast. If you want to make a generalization, I'd say GU has been better at developing bigs and UW has been better at developing guards/wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X