PDA

View Full Version : something surprising on barttorvik...

soccerdud
02-10-2020, 08:06 PM
so people reference kenpom and barttorvik quite regularly here. i was checking out the barttorvik team page (http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Gonzaga), and was shocked to see that the zags currently rate #1 in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency over the last 10 games. this covers pepperdine -> smc.

obviously, this has all been in conference, and our fairly extreme length and athleticism advantage over the rest of the WCC likely makes this more pronounced-- but it seems our defense really has gotten better.

for anyone who's curious, west virginia, virginia, and baylor are the next 3.

oh, and no shocker-- but we're also #1 in adjusted offensive efficiency over that period.

LTownZag
02-10-2020, 08:45 PM
Thanks soccerdud!

Do you know what difference the two site’s formulas use? They seem to be nearly identical rankings.

Reborn
02-10-2020, 08:46 PM
so people reference kenpom and barttorvik quite regularly here. i was checking out the barttorvik team page (http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Gonzaga), and was shocked to see that the zags currently rate #1 in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency over the last 10 games. this covers pepperdine -> smc.

obviously, this has all been in conference, and our fairly extreme length and athleticism advantage over the rest of the WCC likely makes this more pronounced-- but it seems our defense really has gotten better.

for anyone who's curious, west virginia, virginia, and baylor are the next 3.

oh, and no shocker-- but we're also #1 in adjusted offensive efficiency over that period.

Thanks, Soccerdad. Nice work. I was unaware of that site. I am not surprised, as I think we can all see that the D is getting better and better, My guess is that they'll be down in the top 20 by the end of the Conference Tourament.

Go Zags!!!

soccerdud
02-10-2020, 08:48 PM
Thanks soccerdud!

Do you know what difference the two site’s formulas use? They seem to be nearly identical rankings.

my understanding is that barttorvik is an offshoot of kenpom. he initially started out by cloning kenpom's formulas several years ago, but both have continued to evolve along slightly different paths since then. but yeah, you can definitely see their common ancestry in everything from site design to the actual stats.

CDC84
02-13-2020, 01:01 PM
GU is up to #33 in adjusted deficiency at kenpom.com. Shutting down Saint Mary's (a top 10 offense before Saturday's blow out win) helped out a lot.

GoZags
02-13-2020, 01:05 PM
GU is up to #33 in adjusted deficiency at kenpom.com

I will go out on a limb and guess your spellcheck is “On”.

CDC84
02-13-2020, 01:10 PM
Either that or I just took a valium :) Let's try that again:

GU is up to #33 in adjusted DEFENSIVE efficiency at kenpom.com. Shutting down Saint Mary's (a top 10 offense before Saturday's blow out win) helped out a lot.

sittingon50
02-13-2020, 01:26 PM
I gave up trying to adjust my deficiency a long time ago.

(my wife will verify upon request)