PDA

View Full Version : What if?

HillBillyZag
11-13-2007, 10:44 AM
For some reason the University (Jesuits) decided that the expense of continuing a high level Div. 1 program was not cost effective and/or compatible with the student-athlete
concept. What if it was announced that Gonzaga University would compete in NCAA Div.1A, and would recruit no more "one and done" type athletes and concentrate only on kids who were willing to stay, play, and graduate? Would we still sell out the Kennel?, would the student fans be as enthusiastic?, Would the local fans and "sidewalk alumni" be as supportive and vocal? Would this board survive and be as active? I am no way hoping or suggesting that this will ever happen, but what if?

former1dog
11-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Not gonna happen, HBZ.

Rubbadub
11-13-2007, 11:03 AM
When the "expense" is fueling such a high percentage of the U's revenue, it would be ridiculous/inane to even suspect that the venture isn't cost effective.

a13coach
11-13-2007, 11:38 AM
When the "expense" is fueling such a high percentage of the U's revenue, it would be ridiculous/inane to even suspect that the venture isn't cost effective.

Just how is the program fueling the U's revenue? :link:
Now if you mean the program is fueling a high percentage of the Athletic Dept.'s revenue?

former1dog
11-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Just how is the program fueling the U's revenue? :link:
Now if you mean the program is fueling a high percentage of the Athletic Dept.'s revenue?

I just got the annual report, but haven't studied it close enough to see how much or what percentage of revenue is coming from the Bball team.

I do recall that besides tuition, there have been some healthy donations made to Gonzaga from various individuals and corporations. Heck, they even got some money out of me. :D

Gonzdb8
11-13-2007, 11:53 AM
huh? whats the point of your hypothetical? yes, there would likely be less support among our fan base were we no longer a player in big time college hoops.

HillBillyZag
11-13-2007, 12:15 PM
If you want my best guess, I would bet that at least 75% of those active on this board would continue to follow Gonzaga athletics , post, and suport the University. My thought is based on the fact that a lot of us fall into at least one of the following catagories, one is an alumnus, one is a die-hard College sports fan, one has local connections to GU. I too doubt that my hyperbole ever takes place, but I was merely playing the devil's advocate.

a13coach
11-13-2007, 12:24 PM
I just got the annual report, but haven't studied it close enough to see how much or what percentage of revenue is coming from the Bball team.

I do recall that besides tuition, there have been some healthy donations made to Gonzaga from various individuals and corporations. Heck, they even got some money out of me. :D

It is not a two way street. The money the Athletic Dept. (read men's b-ball) stays with the A.D. and funds all if its programs. The money really does not flow back to the university, except the cost of their athletic scholarships.
GU is a tuition based university, i.e. it's budget is based off of tuition. Yes there have been many healthy donations but not all of them toward the endowment. Hence the new campaign to raise the endowment to a point where/if/when enrollment drops (it's coming) GU will be able to weather the drop in revenue.

Rubbadub
11-13-2007, 12:42 PM
I don't know the numbers at all, but as a result of the expenditure, I'm sure enrollment is up, donations are up, GU gear sales are up, ticket sales are DEFINITELY up, local business are getting more revenue from fans coming to see games. Are these even debatable A13?

7ICoug
11-13-2007, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=HillBillyZag;106053]would recruit no more "one and done" type athletes and concentrate only on kids who were willing to stay, play, and graduate?

Perhaps I'm confused (seems normal lately) but what "one and done" athletes has GU ever had? Morrison has been the highest Draft pick in at least a long time if not ever, and was at GU for a full three years, left after being the co-POY.

Part of the success story of the Zag's has been the development of players over the years. How many 5th year players have been on a team?

I have no idea on graduate records but would think its fairly decent for a Division one team.

I realize this is speculation, but it does seem idle.

roxdoc
11-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Many, many intangible benefits which translate directly or indirectly into financial support for the University as a whole. The publicity and what it has done for enrollment is just one example. Also if the AD programs and facilities are largely self sufficient this eliminates that financial drain from the remainder of the University. Hard to document with "links", but believe me it is there big time.

ZagNative
11-13-2007, 01:20 PM
I have no idea about how revenue is shared among the university's departments, but the Office of Postsecondary Education database (http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetail.asp?CRITERIA=3) shows the following revenues and expenses for Gonzaga athletics for the 06-07 season:

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8469/gurevenuescc3.jpg

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/1243/guexpensesay7.jpg

So, does it not look like the men's basketball team is making a direct profit of $1,505,673, whether it stays within the athletic department or benefits the university in other ways?

Rubbadub
11-13-2007, 01:25 PM
So...they're making 3.8 million a year (so far anyway, the brightest days are ahead) off basketball...that sounds cost effective to me.

a13coach
11-13-2007, 01:37 PM
I don't know the numbers at all, but as a result of the expenditure, I'm sure enrollment is up, donations are up, GU gear sales are up, ticket sales are DEFINITELY up, local business are getting more revenue from fans coming to see games. Are these even debatable A13?

Yes enrollment is up and having a successful men's b-ball program has helped in getting GU's name out there. The majority of the students attending GU did not choose it because it had a great basketball team. It helps in introducing the school to a much larger population base.
Yes donations are up but as I said not all of the donations go toward the endowment. A lot goes toward buildings (Kennedy Apts., Patterson Complex, etc.) and these would not get built w/o the donation.
GU gear sales for the most part do go to the general operating fund but it is still small compared to the overall budget.
Ticket sales are up but again that goes to the athletic dept.
Yes local businesses are really getting a ride but their revenue has no real or significant impact on GU's revenue.

I am not saying that the men's basketball program has not helped GU and it's finances, albeit as a by-product. I am saying that the REVENUE generated by the men's basketball program is NOT fueling a high percentage of the university's budget.

Rubbadub
11-13-2007, 01:51 PM
-The success of local student/visitor aimed businesses is EXTREMELY important to the university and it's survival. This is true for every university in the country. Students don't want to go to a school without great local attractions, places to hang out, have fun, eat, etc.

-Pointing out that not all donations go to endowment doesn't really prove your point. All types of donations, wherever they go, increase when sports programs achieve popularity and success. That most certainly is a key source of revenue. The coaching carousel around the WCC proves this.

-Do you really think all or close to all of that 3.8 million of profit a year is going to the other sports programs? How is 3.8 million a year not a major % source of income?

ZagNative
11-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Rub, I see it as $3.647 million in revenue, $2.141 million in expenses, for a net profit of about $1.5million. Am I missing something?

I'm also having trouble understanding A13's point, however.

a13coach
11-13-2007, 02:03 PM
-The success of local student/visitor aimed businesses is EXTREMELY important to the university and it's survival. This is true for every university in the country. Students don't want to go to a school without great local attractions, places to hang out, have fun, eat, etc.

-Pointing out that not all donations go to endowment doesn't really prove your point. All types of donations, wherever they go, increase when sports programs achieve popularity and success. That most certainly is a key source of revenue. The coaching carousel around the WCC proves this.

-Do you really think all or close to all of that 3.8 million of profit a year is going to the other sports programs? How is 3.8 million a year not a major % source of income?

I think you are putting the horse before the cart. If the basketball program does not generate the revenue the university is NOT going to spend money to make up the difference. If there is no basketball revenue and big time donor the MAC does not get built. It is not as if the university was going to build a new hoops building regardless.

I am not saying that the men's basketball program has not helped GU and it's finances, albeit as a by-product.
I am saying that the REVENUE generated by the men's basketball program is NOT fueling a high percentage of the university's budget. ~95% of the university's budget is from tuition.

Rubbadub
11-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Rub, I see it as $3.647 million in revenue, $2.141 million in expenses, for a net profit of about $1.5million. Am I missing something?

I'm also having trouble understanding A13's point, however.

I did grand total revenue minus grand total expenditures without calculating too specifically in my head. both mens and womens.

stevet75
11-13-2007, 02:14 PM
What is the "Not Allocated by Gender/Sport", it/they seem to be netting $2.1 million. Not a bad profit margin. Does any one know what that is? Maybe intermural sports?

ZagNative
11-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Could the unallocated expenses be for the facilities like the MAC and other shared facilities, the AD's salary, etc.?

stevet75
11-13-2007, 02:23 PM
That sounds very likely, and I was thinking, maybe the revenues are student fees.

dim4sum
11-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Would Willamette against GU fill the Kennel??? Not in a million years. Would I travel to the Bay Area to see GU against its arch rival Humboldt State?? You gotta be kidding. I believe in evolution.

TexasZagFan
11-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Would Willamette against GU fill the Kennel??? Not in a million years. Would I travel to the Bay Area to see GU against its arch rival Humboldt State?? You gotta be kidding. I believe in evolution.

Good thing my rep limit is used up for tonight. Otherwise, you'd be sporting another red box.

You have no idea how popular the Zags are nationwide. At the game in Tulsa a few years ago, I met Zag fans from AR, MO, LA, and OK. None of them had any other affiliation with GU, except that they loved the team.

Akzag
11-14-2007, 10:25 AM
bump ... for in between game discussion.

lothar98zag
11-14-2007, 10:30 AM
When did Humboldt move to the bay area?

Or maybe it's in the Bay Area the same way Spokane is a suburb of Seattle...