PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Our Board's Founding Father, BobZag, Has Passed Away

CDC84
01-20-2020, 09:39 AM
This past weekend the Gonzaga family lost not only one of its greatest basketball fans and alumni, but also one of the greatest friends I have ever had in this board's admin, BobZag. BZ died peacefully at his home after suffering from a number of medical ailments that such a courageous and kind person should never have to endure. As always, he handled these things with bravery and dignity.

I will never forget first meeting BobZag. It was back around 2003 or so when the scout.com Gonzaga basketball message board was gaining traction. The scout.com board admin, BobZag, immediately noticed that I had come out of nowhere to post about the games, the staff, the players, my love for the WCC, and my deep love of U.S. college basketball and my continued belief that, flaws and all, is still the best developmental tool in the world for developing basketball talent.

Before long he asked me to give him a call. I tend to be an introverted person, so I was initially hesitant, but I thought, "What the heck."

It ended up being one of the best decisions I have ever made.

From the moment we first started talking, the conversation just flowed. We not only loved our Zags and college basketball in general, but we also discovered that we shared a love of rock music (we dug many of the same bands and artists), had a similar sense of humor, and a love of writing. As some of you may know, Bob was a very talented screen writer with a deep love of films. We had so much in common, and yet enough differences to keep things interesting.

Eventually he asked me to write articles for the scout.com site as the company were asking for more and more content from him. Unfortunately, scout.com had no idea of the hardships in BZ's life that made it hard for him to keep up with its demand for articles. I was glad to help out, but eventually a number of us decided that this wasn't a job for middle aged men who had jobs, spouses, kids, and other things to do in life.

Through a number of connections Bob was able to get things moved over to this site where we didn't have to produce content and where we also were better able to keep the dang Washington Husky trolls away (ending the series for a time got rid of many of those idiots as well). Several other people stepped up to the plate to be co-admins and moderators as the message board got bigger than it ever did at scout.com.

It is my belief that BobZag's work on both message boards did a great deal to expand the popularity of Gonzaga basketball not only nationally, but even globally as Coach Lloyd assumed more and more of a roll in bringing international talent into the program. Another key thing that BZ did was bring great attention and enthusiasm to the Lady Zags, which I know that Coach Graves and so many others really appreciated. Like the men, they too have become one of the finest basketball programs in the west.

However, what I will miss most about BZ was the fact that I sat next to him at the Kennel for countless games. Always grabbing an extra chair from the Kennel staff so that I could sit more closely to him to actually hear him (we all know how loud the place can get when it's really rocking), I felt we had the best seats in the house. Just behind the backboard to the left. We could see all the plays develop on both ends - especially in the 2nd half when we could see the work of Coach Few's magical offensive schemes come alive.

The truth is, BobZag now REALLY has the best seat in the house. He'll be standing right above the court of every Zag game from here until the end of time. It is sad that the GU men didn't win a national title before he passed, but he was able to see the team make its first final four - something that was unimaginable in the early 90's when GU was arguably a true low major basketball team. However, whether it's this year or some year in the near future, I am confident that Coach Few and his men will hang a banner at the Kennel one day, and BZ will be there to witness it all.

I ask all of you to think of BZ and his family in the coming days. They are honestly some of the nicest people I have ever met. The work Bob did on the two message boards, and the lives he touched will not be forgotten.

It's been a rough three weeks for me. Two of my very best friends have died (the other a long time high school basketball coach to a sudden stroke who, although a UCLA man, admired Gonzaga basketball greatly). These things happen in life, but we must move on and think of all the positive things these people have brought to our lives. And for so many on this board, that's what BobZag brought: a whole lot of positive, and a whole lot of inspiration. He was and still is a testament to the strength of the human spirit. Thanks big guy for all that you did for me and for being my friend.

----CDC84

P.S. - we are looking into possibly "renaming" this board and the women's board after BZ, but some things need to be worked out first. Much like we renamed the GU sports forum after El Voce.

GoZags
01-20-2020, 09:45 AM
Rest in Peace Bob .... you will always occupy a huge part of my heart.

willandi
01-20-2020, 09:45 AM
Thank you for sharing.

I only knew BZ from this forum, but he will be missed.

Zagdawg
01-20-2020, 09:46 AM
Rest in peace BobZag -- you will be missed.

former1dog
01-20-2020, 09:48 AM
Rest In Peace Bob, you were a good friend and I have always admired your patience and kindness. Heaven got a good one.

TexasZagFan
01-20-2020, 09:49 AM
I never knew BZ personally, but I always considered him a friend. Rest in peace, BZ. Say hi to Father Tony for me.

gonzagafan62
01-20-2020, 09:51 AM
RIP BobZag a true sense of humor and a great person ... will never be forgotten in this Zag fans heart

Larryzag
01-20-2020, 09:51 AM
Thank you Bob for all your encouraging conversations with me. God bless.

Reborn
01-20-2020, 09:54 AM
Rest in peace Bob...Thanks for all you did for the Gonzaga Basketball Community. I met Bob and talked to him at several Zag games. A great man with a kind, generous heart, imo. May Our Lord bring peace to all whom you have touched, especially your family and close friends.

ZagsObserver
01-20-2020, 09:57 AM
Sad to hear this. I loved his contributions and sense of humor. Several years ago, he was THE insider.

Mostly, I enjoyed his presence in the larger Zag family. RIP, good sir.

gozagswoohoo
01-20-2020, 09:58 AM
My heart sank when I got the news about BZ. He was one of a kind. I'm SO happy I was able to meet him in person back in 2010 when I made it up to Spokane.

Rest in Peace Bob. You will TRULY be missed, more than you'll ever know.

Zags_Fanatic
01-20-2020, 10:01 AM
RIP Bob. Thank you for the beautiful tribute, CDC84.

LongIslandZagFan
01-20-2020, 10:08 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to Bob's family and will be saying a special prayer for Bob himself. Bob and I met in person a couple of times and talked on the phone quite a few times as well. He will be deeply missed. Grab a chair next to Fr. Tony, Bob, and enjoy the Zags! RIP and godspeed.

Mr Vulture
Oh my! RIP BobZag....

Salsageek
RIP BobZag...Thank you for all you have done for the GU basketball family. I will miss his "doomed" post. :(

LongIslandZagFan
01-20-2020, 10:09 AM
RIP BobZag...Thank you for all you have done for the GU basketball family. I will miss his "doomed" post. :(

Yeah... I miss those too.

hooter73
01-20-2020, 10:11 AM
dangit stuff like this is hard but the perspective is real. Thoughts and prayers for his friends and family. Always a standup man.

bigblahla
01-20-2020, 10:12 AM
For a long time BZ was the driving force here... Thank you BZ for everything you did to shine a bright light on our Zags... God Bless you...RIP...

Go!! Zags!!!

RenoZag
01-20-2020, 10:16 AM
I met Bob on March 1, 2008.

Thanks to him, I had a ticket to that evening's game vs. St. Mary's, which GU won 88-76, behind the scoring of Bouldin (21), Pargo(18), and Daye (14). Mills and Simpson were the stars for the Gaels. Samhan had six points that night. It was my first on-campus game since 1979 and the weekend included a lunch get together with Section 116, Hondo, El Voce, TheZagPhish, and others. It remains one of my fondest memories as a GU alum and it happened because of Bob.

Bob was able to do the same favor for others:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?6282-Do-you-want-to-see-a-game-in-K2

Condolences to his family, friends, and fans. He will be missed.

Elvis has left the building. . .

Sarenyon
01-20-2020, 10:19 AM
Thanks CDC for the tribute.

Rest in peace BobZag. Thank you for creating this wonderful community.

72Prep
01-20-2020, 10:22 AM
How sad. My favorite person on this board. I always paid attention to his posts and his avatars. Man had good taste!

ZaggyStardust
01-20-2020, 10:27 AM
So very sad to hear this. Thanks CDC for your beautiful and heartfelt tribute. I remember seeing you always at his side when you attended a game. Bob was my special Friend and I will miss him greatly. Blessings to his family especially his mom. RIP Bob. This GU family won’t be the same without you. :mecry:

ZAG 4 LIFE
01-20-2020, 10:31 AM
Beautiful tribute CDC.
R.I.P. BobZag... You will be missed.

To be continued...

billyberu
01-20-2020, 10:38 AM
I had the privilege of meeting up with BobZag at the old Kennel in 2003. He set me up with a ticket and I watched Gonzaga throttle Pepperdine.

I'm sorry to hear that he has passed away. I sure hope that the board can find a way to memorialize him by renaming the board after him. That would be fitting for all of the work he did in setting up the old message board and transitioning into the current one.

R.I.P. BobZag

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

titopoet
01-20-2020, 10:48 AM
I was truly sad to hear the news. Bob was a great guy and a very talented award-winning screenplay writer that was working on some great projects. Not only was he a great Zag fan but I work with him on his internet presence for his career. https://www.facebook.com/robertshillscreenwriting/
He was such a courageous man.

McZag
01-20-2020, 10:49 AM
I believe BZ was one of the creators of this forum in 1999. It was called "ZagsHoops.com" then before moving here. He will be sorely missed. Please post obit details if possible. Thank you for the notice.

buenaparkzag
01-20-2020, 10:50 AM
RIP Bob
Your legacy lives on!

ZagNut08
01-20-2020, 10:50 AM
RIP BZ, you will be missed my friend. Such a welcoming, friendly guy - when I studied at Gonzaga he would often invite me to David's pizza to grab a slice and talk life. It has been a while since our last phone call, but we always called to check in post graduation to see how the family was doing.

Thanks BZ for everything, enjoy watching the Zags from above.

Rangerzag
01-20-2020, 10:52 AM
Peace to you, Bob.

Thanks for everything.

Say hi to Fr Tony and El Voce, please.

Radbooks
01-20-2020, 10:56 AM
RIP, Bob!

I remember when I first signed up on the previous board and BZ was always very kind and helpful to me as I tried to figure out how everything worked. I'll miss his input on this board.

gueastcoast
01-20-2020, 10:57 AM
RIP Bob, you will be missed. Beautiful tribute CDC, very hard to keep a dry eye here.

webspinnre
01-20-2020, 10:59 AM
Thank you for sharing your words, and the notice of his passing. I will always remember him from that old Scout board as well, and for his work in getting things transitioned over here, to what has become this wonderful community. May he rest in peace.

zaguarxj
01-20-2020, 11:04 AM
RIP BZ. You are already missed. We are doomed.

Bowser
01-20-2020, 11:05 AM
Never met BZ in person. Thanks to him I reconnected with old friends and made new ones, some of whom I have never met in person [but would still trust with money, well one of them anyway].

Also in the early early days before media embraced the internet, I got inside scoops on Gonzaga B-Ball and got to chuckle at the same time.

He humored me about my "Bowser" posts and, in his own way, egged me on to do more outrageous posts. I had a lot of fun.

I understand he had a hard life but chose a path which brought him joy.

If SnapCo was still in business, you can bet your bottom dollar that a commemorative would be in production.

Rest in peace my brother.

Your Pal,

Bowser

TerpZag
01-20-2020, 11:06 AM
Rest in Peace, BobZag...Our thoughts and prayers for Bob, his family and his many friends...Thank you for your generosity to the Gonzaga community!

CDC84, thank you for your wonderful tribute!

zag buddy
01-20-2020, 11:18 AM
He was my favorite poster to respond to and he gave me helpful advice. He is so much more now not just the aspect of himself that I knew as Bobzag.

Hogan
01-20-2020, 11:19 AM
Rest In Peace and love Bob. You will be missed

jazzdelmar
01-20-2020, 11:19 AM
In your honor, Beezer: Go Chelsea!!!!

IMADEYOUREADTHIS
01-20-2020, 11:23 AM
Great tribute CDC, I remember when I joined the board back in 08 (as Gray'sAnatomy) BobZag was always a must read for me. His posts were insightful and funny. I never met him in person, but we chatted a few times in PM, and he was always a great encouragement.

As I've been less and less involved on this board, I am not in the know of much of the goings on; but I have wondered multiple times what was going on with BZ to cause him to post less and less.

My thoughts are with him and his family.

He will be missed.

GonzaGAW
01-20-2020, 11:25 AM
- rip
- may God continue to bless you and your family
- good, faithful fan, better person.

sittingon50
01-20-2020, 11:28 AM
Thank You, Bob.

RIP

TravelinZag
01-20-2020, 11:30 AM
This past weekend the Gonzaga family lost not only one of its greatest basketball fans and alumni, but also one of the greatest friends I have ever had in this board's admin, BobZag.

I ask all of you to think of BZ and his family in the coming days. (he) was and still is a testament to the strength of the human spirit. Thanks big guy for all that you did for me and for being my friend.

----CDC84

Thanks, CDC, for your personal and moving tribute to BobZag. This board is a legacy from him, and shared by you, early co-founders, moderators to the present day and all of the persistent, positive and provocative posters. The gift to us is a forum to follow the Zags, enhance our knowledge and share views along with other fans. Thanks to BZ and all who strive to preserve its high quality.

Birddog
01-20-2020, 11:39 AM
Sad, sad news. Bob was one of a kind. I had the pleasure of meeting him at Elias Harris debut at KITK in '09. He resurrected this board from the ashes of the original and we all owe him for that. RIP BOB.

JPtheBeasta
01-20-2020, 11:42 AM
Very sad news. Bobzag had a gravitas matched by no other. It was disappointing when he quit commenting as much, but it was like finding an Easter egg or some other treasure when he did. May God bless you and your family.

Bocco
01-20-2020, 11:44 AM
BZ you will be missed, your presence will always be part of this board.

jazzdelmar
01-20-2020, 11:59 AM
The Beezer Board sounds good to me.

gu03alum
01-20-2020, 12:10 PM
Very sad news. Rest In Peace BZ.

Jedster
01-20-2020, 12:22 PM
I don't really post much anymore, but I still read daily. When I first joined in 2009 after lurking for a year or two, what kept me coming back was the hope to see some tidbits of info or comments from BobZag. His posts always stood out to me for the info and the wit that he had. I never had the opportunity to meet him, or even chat on this board with him, but he still had a tremendous impact on mine and others interest in the board and the Zags. RIP Bob and my condolences to his family and friends. Thank you for the wonderful gift that is this message board!

CdAZagFan
01-20-2020, 12:25 PM
Sad news... Great to read the comments and hear the stories of his work. God bless the BZ family.

LMUZAG
01-20-2020, 12:25 PM
BobZag is the reason I started following and stayed lurking fifteen years ago. Never meet or spoke to him, but he nonetheless has had a real impact on my life through these two boards. Thank you BZ. RIP

zagzilla
01-20-2020, 12:35 PM
Sorry to hear of BZ's passing. I had noticed he wasn't around much in the past few years but I always paid attention to his posts. He had an inside POV on the program and I recall speculation about "Who is BobZag?". I never knew his real name until today and I never met him but felt like I knew him.

He will be missed.

Go Zags!

ZZ

DZ
01-20-2020, 12:35 PM
A big loss for the board and the Zag family.

13 years ago right after my first post, it was Bob who welcomed me and encouraged me to stick around. He was that way with everyone, so giving, welcoming, and he set an example as to how to converse respectfully, even humorously.

RIP - you'll be missed.

rennis
01-20-2020, 12:39 PM
Terrible news. Like many others I never met Bob in person but had who-knows-how-many interactions with him on this and the previous forum. My condolences to his family and good friends here and elsewhere.

RIP Bob, and forever Go Zags!

FuManShoes
01-20-2020, 12:40 PM
Sorry to hear this. BobZag created a wonderful online community - a family, really. These boards are home to joy, laughter, pride, pain and sometimes anger - just like a real family. We have BZ to thank for that. RIP and Go Zags!

SWZag
01-20-2020, 12:47 PM
One of the people I respected most on the board and the one I've missed the most over the past while. I always wanted to meet him in person. I appreciate your post CDC; always knew he had a big impact in giving us the ability to share our passion for GU basketball. I believe he was a driving force in making the GU message boards unique in all of the sporting world, and one that is greatly appreciated.

Thinking of Bob's family and friends. He will be greatly missed.

demian
01-20-2020, 12:53 PM
Very sad to hear this. I always loved his posts on here. Bob and I messaged a few times on private messenger. He was always very kind about my dad. I first “met” him on the really old message board in 2002 after we lost to Indiana in the 2002 Maui Invitational semifinals. I stumbled across the message board for the first time after that game and BobZag was the man. Best thoughts and prayers to his family. Rest easy BobZag

Zagnailler
01-20-2020, 12:57 PM
BobZags passing is a reminder of “Memento Mori”. His contributions to the lives of his family, friends and this board leave a lasting legacy of a rich life. Sharing his passions in such a thoughtful, informed and positive way enriched us all. Thank you too CDC for your kind remembrances of how this gift got started and the goodness we are all so grateful for.

ZagMan in Philly
01-20-2020, 01:08 PM
Thank You Bob for everything you did for this board and beyond.
You will be missed. Rest in Peace.

zag67
01-20-2020, 01:11 PM
Thanks BZ for all you have done to make our board so good. Rest in pease and keep a good eye on us

basketballzag
01-20-2020, 01:32 PM
BobZag did a lot more for the Gonzaga program than people will ever realize with his contributions to this site and the previous sites going back to the late 90's. His dedication to the Gonzaga basketball programs allowed the basketball program to be followed by people across the globe and his contributions both on the internet and off the internet which is a big reason that the program is where it is today. Sportswriters, NBA scouts, high school coaches, recruits, opposing coaches, and others used his knowledge on this forum to follow the Zags and often it was information posted by him that sports columnists would write in their articles in the early days when they covered the Zags.

I hope the University puts his name on his seat (or a plaque in front of the seat) in the Arena as a tribute.

He will be missed on this site and his contributions will be missed for the Gonzaga basketball programs.

Thank you Bob for everything that you did for our University because you were a critical cog in the success this program has attained over the years.

tyra
01-20-2020, 01:51 PM
I am at an uncharacteristic loss for words. And deeply saddened. The little interaction I had with him (in person and online) he was extraordinarily kind. His posts were always my favorites and I have missed them . . . As I will miss him. As a society I think we tend to name things (buildings and such) for people too readily but naming this Board for him is a great idea and fitting tribute. I do so hope that can happen.

zagamatic
01-20-2020, 02:13 PM
Rest in peace BobZag.

DADoZAG
01-20-2020, 02:22 PM
Respect.

23dpg
01-20-2020, 02:22 PM
I echo all the kind sentiments already posted on here.
Shocked and saddened.
He was an icon.

CB4
01-20-2020, 02:24 PM
I always looked forward to seeing BZ's posts on this board and didn't know all the history, just that he was a longtime member and a wonderful contributor to the board.

RIP.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-20-2020, 02:26 PM
Thank you, CDC, for the heartfelt tribute...to be continued...

GoZAGsMang
01-20-2020, 03:40 PM
RIP BobZag, you will be missed.

Cavebear33
01-20-2020, 03:47 PM
Sad news. I missed seeing him at the games, and his posts on the boards over the past few years. He always gave me a hello when he saw me at the arena, and was in his spot overlooking the court. He once gave me that spot for a game a few years ago, when he couldn't make it, letting me use a folding chair where his wheelchair would usually be. Because of his posts, he will be missed by thousands who never even had the chance to meet him. RIP Bob.

Section 116
01-20-2020, 03:55 PM
Well done on the tribute CDC. I was fortunate enough to know Bobzag. He was always in the same spot for the men's and women's games. Over the years it became more and more difficult for him to get to the games and the corner spot CDC mentioned always looked empty with Bob not there. And later on Bob was never there, but on another level I suspect he will always be there. He certainly will be missed here as well. RIP Bob, and thanks to ElVoce for introducing me!

Zaglaw
01-20-2020, 03:56 PM
Always enjoyed his posts. RIP

john montana
01-20-2020, 04:00 PM
Sad to hear this news. Rest in peace.

bballbeachbum
01-20-2020, 04:33 PM
Condolences to family and friends. Thank you BobZag for what you gave us all here

scrooner
01-20-2020, 04:43 PM
Thank you BobZag. You were far and away my favorite.

ZagaZags
01-20-2020, 04:44 PM
Thank you BobZag for everything you did here on GU Boards. RIP BZ.

GU69
01-20-2020, 04:52 PM
Thank you CDC, and thank you BobZag.

BZ was not only the founder of this board, he was the heart, soul, and conscience. I never had the good fortune to meet him, but I knew El Voce and heard about BZ through him.

Best of luck on your new journey Bob.

hondo
01-20-2020, 05:01 PM
So long my friend. Bob was truly a very good guy.

gozags09
01-20-2020, 05:11 PM
Rest In Peace BZ. Thank you for all you did for all of us as an ambassador for the Zags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NotoriousZ
01-20-2020, 05:13 PM
So sad to hear this news. I discovered the GUBoards about ten years ago, and BobZag was already a legend by then. Although I didn't know him personally I will miss his witty, clever posts, his insider info posts, his lovely avatars, and his Star Wars references such as "these aren't the droids you're looking for."

He will always be loved here. Rest in Peace, Bob.

doctorzag
01-20-2020, 05:22 PM
Fortunate to have met BobZag on one of my trips down to Spokane from Calgary. I think it was the first year the Mac opened. He was in his usual spot and I nervously introduced myself with my board name and he acted like we were old friends. Sad day in Zag world today.
RIP BobZag.

Zagger
01-20-2020, 05:41 PM
Wow. Sad day and a thankful one too. Thanks BZ! This board has been an invaluable sidekick to me as a Zag fan. Iím very appreciative of that.
Go Zags!

U Zig, I Zag
01-20-2020, 06:01 PM
Condolences to his family and friends.

kdaleb
01-20-2020, 07:48 PM
Elvis has left the building. . .

We lost our Voice of Reason, and now Elvis has indeed left the building.

Proudzagmom
01-20-2020, 07:52 PM
We lost our Voice of Reason, and now Elvis has indeed left the building.

I was fortunate enough to have met them both several years ago. RIP, BobZag. You will be greatly missed.

RenoZag
01-20-2020, 07:55 PM
A former GUB poster commented on BobZag's passing in a note to me earlier this evening and it included this passage:

"I hope God has him standing tall and employing all the faculties heaven allows. IMO, he's earned a spot where those who really suffered throughout their lives are made whole. I hope it exists. And Bob is its leader. RIP."

kitzbuel
01-20-2020, 08:03 PM
I will miss the tone he brought to our community. He was open, friendly, and always supportive. He loved to be conspiratorially impish and leave you thinking there was something better yet to come. He has been right.

WRHUradio
01-20-2020, 08:26 PM
I'm saddened to hear this news. I didn't know anything about BobZag until this thread, but always knew of him and appreciated his posts and chime-ins. I noticed in recent years like the last 3-4 years he had chimed in a lot less with info.

I would like to read an official story about his background and life, if it comes across I hope someone posts it. Could someone share more about his Gonzaga fandom...Who did he know well on the coaching staff, notable stories, his favorite players etc. It sounds like he had some kind of ailment, I did not know that.

Also, Has anyone reached out to Gonzaga Athletics yet? I'd think they could do a moment of silence, or show his picture during a Media timeout.

WallaWallaZag
01-20-2020, 08:30 PM
I never had the fortune of meeting BZ in person, but I think all one needs to do is read the posts in this thread to understand the impact he made through this board on the entire Zags basketball community...I noticed many posts paying their respects by members who are no longer active participants.

ClownRoyalZag
01-20-2020, 09:01 PM
Rest In Peace Big Brother. Reading these comments are nothing but tear jerkers. Bob said to me after the first couple of games this year that we were doomed. He got to listen on radio to his last GU game - the BYU game. He said we are pretty damned good after all. Again, Rest In Peace Big Brother. You were pretty damn good yourself.

Lurknomore
01-20-2020, 09:01 PM
I am so very sad to hear this. BobZag was responsible for me seeing my first Gonzaga game in person and I thought that was so kind of him. May he Rest In Peace.

MDABE80
01-20-2020, 09:35 PM
That guy got so much done given his situation. The biggest and most significant thing for me was that he trusted me and I trusted him. Truly a guy I’d trust to be in a foxhole with. Always so grateful. I hope his mom and dad make it through this. I’m greater saddened by him being gone. I hope we meet again;). A privilege to know as BZ and I traveled some roads with him...fixing 1000s of hearts is my job. For me, BZ was life. And he saw the good parts and the hardsrabble parts.
Wind at your back Bob..

Ezag
01-20-2020, 10:31 PM
RIP BZ the Legend! He always knew everything going on with the Zags far before it was common knowledge.

GoZags
01-20-2020, 10:36 PM
Rest In Peace Big Brother. Reading these comments are nothing but tear jerkers. Bob said to me after the first couple of games this year that we were doomed. He got to listen on radio to his last GU game - the BYU game. He said we are pretty damned good after all. Again, Rest In Peace Big Brother. You were pretty damn good yourself.

Ha. That’s great.

“... we were doomed”. Of course Bob
said that ... and I can vividly hear him telling you that.

So good to hear from you. Your big brother was admired, respected and loved. (But you know that). God Bless.

caduceus
01-21-2020, 12:10 AM
It's nice to see some long time posters come out of the woodwork to acknowledge BZ. Anyone with a "Join Date:" before 2008 know he was the heart and soul of this board, and the board before, and before that. I'm awed by his dedication over decades to GU basketball. Every contributor of this board has a little piece of him inside, and has been influenced by his good nature, piercing sarcasm, and generosity.

I had many interactions with him -- all were electronic in nature, and always made for me a smile and a better day. I knew something was amiss when his posts became fewer and fewer. Melancholic for me -- I never inquired out of respect. Back when I was going nuts with the animated gifs (before it was a "thing"), he was often the first to respond with a laugh and offer encouragement to continue on. I'm glad to have played a very small part in his (and other's) enjoyment.

I've always thought we should have a long-running, "I appreciate you" thread, where people can acknowledge the efforts and contributions to the forum. On more than one occasion, I've typed it up, and then cancelled it. He was often the first person I thought of in that process. It's too late now to make that post, but BZ, know that I still appreciate everything you did and brought this COMMUNITY together. While the university has kept itself at arms length from the board (and with very good reason), I hope they take the time to honor the Zags' biggest fan and contributor to its fanbase. I firmly believe that much of what happens off the court with the fans, directly or indirectly affects to some degree the direction of what ultimately happens on the court, and in the perspective of CBB nationwide. It really should not be underestimated. BZ has a golden thread that weaves throughout all of that. Even his provocative avatars.

God speed.

=cad=

Irish_eliZAG
01-21-2020, 01:17 AM
Rest in Peace BobZag

MickMick
01-21-2020, 03:48 AM
So sad to hear this. He was a stalwart here for so long and had a great sense of humor. RIP BZ.

Zaga
01-21-2020, 05:13 AM
Rest in Peace BZ!

This board is Doomed.;)

Go Zags

Bing
01-21-2020, 06:26 AM
RobertoZag ... the world is a better place because you were in it.

I've missed you, missed your contributions. But I don't miss your Spirit because I carry that with me. In my heart.

Your smile could light up a room (a room as big as the Kennel).

Rest in Peace my man. Rest in Peace.

gozagswoohoo
01-21-2020, 08:02 AM
One quick thought regarding the quality of zags-basketball discussion without our beloved Bobzag.....

WE'RE DOOMED.

strikenowhere
01-21-2020, 08:31 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this - RIP.

77Zag
01-21-2020, 09:01 AM
RIP BobZag - always in the know and the best avatars on the board. God Bless

hockeyzag
01-21-2020, 09:04 AM
Truly heartbreaking news. I still remember the short PM exchange I had with him when I first started hanging out here in 2007. He had only kind and encouraging things to say.

My heartfelt condolences to you and your friends CDC. We were lucky to have the likes of BobZag around here and we're lucky to have contributors like you.

I fully support naming the board after BobZag.

Zags11
01-21-2020, 09:14 AM
Wow. My brother always pointed him out at the kennel and i enjoyed his doomed posts. Rip.

Spike#1
01-21-2020, 10:04 AM
Very sad to hear this news. I did not know Bob at all, but I've lurked on the board all the way back to the Scout days. BZ always had the inside scoop, and that's what kept me coming back. My best wishes to his family and friends.

Zaghuatanejo
01-21-2020, 10:41 AM
RIP BZ. Your insight, humility, and "doomed" posts will be sorely missed.

Angelo Roncalli
01-21-2020, 11:45 AM
I'm late to add my thoughts.

I first had a conversation with Bob about taking over the old rivals board. We went through several iterations and ended up with Scout. The Scout board was an active community, and it's where we assembled the original group of moderators, some of whom continue to moderate this site. There were some significant problems with Scout, particularly with the amount of content they were demanding (without a football team, there simply was not enough content to fill Scout's ridiculous demands). Bob had developed a handful of excellent sources and we had huge participation for a non-football site. But it wasn't enough for Scout. So, after hard negotiation and threats of litigation, Bob and I were finally able to end the relationship with Scout. We tried some Beta sites (one of which was hacked by the idiot administrator of a site for another WCC school and some of his toady friends) when along came Ken Sands, the digital editor of the Spokesman-Review and this site was born. We carefully orchestrated distribution of information about the opening of this site to almost every poster on the old Scout site and the transfer was accomplished.

Along the way I got to know Bob well and we spoke regularly on the phone. He became my friend and my client. We discovered we had something in common in addition to Gonzaga basketball. In the late 70's, when I was working as a lobbyist in the forest products industry, I had helped with the publicity when Bob's grandfather won the national tree farmer of the year award for his excellent forest resources management on his private timber land. Bob came from a family of accomplishment. His brother held the national HS shot put record for many, many years.

As some of you know, Bob had suffered a spinal cord injury as a child. His work posting and writing articles on the site was a labor of love for him as he had to painstakingly compose his work product using a stylus held in his teeth. A post that would take 2 minutes for you or I to write would take Bob 5 or 6 times that long.

Bob loved putting together groups with Zags who didn't know each other for meet and greets at the old David's Pizza on Hamilton. Hondo and El Voce would hold court at these fests as stories from Zagville were told. Some of them were even true. Bob also loved to attend games in person, but they were very hard on him, particularly when weather conditions were bad. Bob was very generous with his tickets. I think he probably provided dozens of people who had never been to games in the Kennel with tickets for their first visits.

Bob was a movie fan, especially Star Wars, westerns, and the Guardians of the Galaxy series.

As someone mentioned, Bob was an award winning screenplay writer. He honed his wordsmithing at GU where he majored in English and was, like me, a disciple of professor Franz Schneider.

I will miss my friend and our phone conversations, particularly the ones where we agreed that we wanted to St. Mary's to lose to whomever they were playing even if their winning would help GU's RPI.

Rest in peace, buddy.

caldwellzag
01-21-2020, 12:22 PM
Thanks CDC for sharing. RIP BZ you will be missed.

Kiddwell
01-21-2020, 01:23 PM
BobZag was really invested in the Zags. Really appreciated his founding of this great fan site and often well-informed posts. Lord's comfort on BZ's family during this time.

:]

CDC84
01-21-2020, 01:54 PM
As some of you know, Bob had suffered a spinal cord injury as a child. His work posting and writing articles on the site was a labor of love for him as he had to painstakingly compose his work product using a stylus held in his teeth. A post that would take 2 minutes for you or I to write would take Bob 5 or 6 times that long.

Bob loved putting together groups with Zags who didn't know each other for meet and greets at the old David's Pizza on Hamilton. Hondo and El Voce would hold court at these fests as stories from Zagville were told. Some of them were even true. Bob also loved to attend games in person, but they were very hard on him, particularly when weather conditions were bad. Bob was very generous with his tickets. I think he probably provided dozens of people who had never been to games in the Kennel with tickets for their first visits.

Bob was a movie fan, especially Star Wars, westerns, and the Guardians of the Galaxy series.

As someone mentioned, Bob was an award winning screenplay writer. He honed his wordsmithing at GU where he majored in English and was, like me, a disciple of professor Franz Schneider.

I will miss my friend and our phone conversations, particularly the ones where we agreed that we wanted to St. Mary's to lose to whomever they were playing even if their winning would help GU's RPI.

Rest in peace, buddy.

It was through Bob that I was able to meet Angelo, who is a friend of mine as well. BZ had this magical ability to bring people together. I will never forget the night when Angelo and I sat in Bob's seats together. I think it was the night where SMC's Mickey McConnell hit that crazy shot to beat the Zags in 2011. It was one of those nights where you really wished the Kennel would serve adult beverages after the game. I was in no mood to attend Jack and Dan's after that miserable finish.

One of the hardest parts about Bob attending games is that he had to always leave early, even if it meant missing some great finishes. Even though he always arrived at games early and had the best handicapped parking spot in the lot, the amount of time it would take for his family to get him in the van forced him to bail early. I felt bad about that. He was also an early riser who needed a lot of care before he went to bed, so he couldn't afford to hang around the Kennel after games like I often would (and still do) to allow the crowd to filter out.

I was hesitant to get into many details about Bob's spinal cord injury because he was a fiercely independent person. I witnessed BZ use that stylus in his mouth to type on his keyboard many times. I think the only time he ever got (slightly) perturbed at me was when I first got to know him, and I tried to help him out at the computer. He would have none of it, including using any sort of software system like my friend Zack uses (who is a blind professor) to do his typing. He wanted to do it on his own, in his own way.

As many of you know, BZ was also a major soccer fan, and he was always enthusiastic about talking about not just Team USA soccer, but soccer all over the globe. About the only sport he disliked was the NFL. He once told me "they will one day look back upon it the way we look back at the Roman Gladiators." With all that we are finding out about the game of football and how it turns your brain into mush, he may indeed prove to be right. And speaking of the brain, BZ wad one of the sharpest minds of any person I've ever met. As you might imagine with someone who so often couldn't "write it down," BZ's memory was mind boggling. It was a well developed muscle.

I could just go on and on about the man. Yesterday was really tough. Lots of emails, lots of phone calls. Mike Roth, GU's amazing athletic director, reached out to me and offered his condolences. I suspect more such things will come. Some people have asked: at Bob's request, there will be no funeral service, nor a newspaper obituary. That's why I had to take it upon myself to reveal the sad news on the board yesterday. However, I wanted to make sure that Bob's brother was okay with what I posted. I am vigilant about protecting the privacy of people (including my own). He has already appeared in this thread, and expressed his heartfelt appreciation for all of the comments regarding his big brother. Keep them coming folks.

Zag79
01-21-2020, 02:13 PM
As a long time board member, all the way back to the original one that only a handful of folks were on, is where I originally met Bob Zag. Thanks to another pretty famous member, El Voce, who knew that I was always up for some Gonzaga basketball banter. Being friends with many players back then, it was always fun to compare knowledge, rumors, and bring it full circle with a guy like BZ. As a season ticket holder, I would always make the point to stop by and say hi to Bob. It became a near ritual that was sorely missed as the years went by, and after hearing of BZ’s passing I have nothing but great memories and good stories to tell.

He will definitely be missed, and the next Zags win will be all his. I used to frequent the boards nonstop as it was all solid basketball talk, mostly X’s & O’s, but when it became a public forum where whining and griping about winning, attacking players, with a negative overtone became the norm, I became more of a lurker that’d check in as life became busier. But those of you that have met me before, know that I’m always down to talk Gonzaga basketball with the great people on this board. If anyone would like to get together for a toast in Bob’s memory, a meet up before the next home game would be a great chance to exchange some laughs and cold ones. Rest easy BZ, to a true Zags lifer!

GoZags
01-21-2020, 02:30 PM
I'm late to add my thoughts.

I first had a conversation with Bob about taking over the old rivals board. We went through several iterations and ended up with Scout. The Scout board was an active community, and it's where we assembled the original group of moderators, some of whom continue to moderate this site. There were some significant problems with Scout, particularly with the amount of content they were demanding (without a football team, there simply was not enough content to fill Scout's ridiculous demands). Bob had developed a handful of excellent sources and we had huge participation for a non-football site. But it wasn't enough for Scout. So, after hard negotiation and threats of litigation, Bob and I were finally able to end the relationship with Scout. We tried some Beta sites (one of which was hacked by the idiot administrator of a site for another WCC school and some of his toady friends) when along came Ken Sands, the digital editor of the Spokesman-Review and this site was born. We carefully orchestrated distribution of information about the opening of this site to almost every poster on the old Scout site and the transfer was accomplished.

Along the way I got to know Bob well and we spoke regularly on the phone. He became my friend and my client. We discovered we had something in common in addition to Gonzaga basketball. In the late 70's, when I was working as a lobbyist in the forest products industry, I had helped with the publicity when Bob's grandfather won the national tree farmer of the year award for his excellent forest resources management on his private timber land. Bob came from a family of accomplishment. His brother held the national HS shot put record for many, many years.

Rest in peace, buddy.

Your heartfelt testimonial says it all, Pontiff. I've bolded the part about the earlier Scout "content" requirement ... then I did a simple google search using the words Scout.com and BobZag .... the results are linked here. I'm glad the story of "how" Bob wrote has been told. Just think about that ... then take a peek at (i.e. open) the link. BTW the "Views" is inaccurate as Scout itself has undergone various iterations ... but the bottom line is I continue to be amazed and impressed that my friend Bob could write these dozens and dozens of articles (as well as his multiple screenplays and everything else). Periodically I use the following sentiment to express myself ... and in my mind it's never been more true.

"Bob. Da. Man."

https://www.scout.com/User/BobZag/

BobZag Member Since July 2001 Posts
BobZagBobZag
BobZag
BobZag Nov 30, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 39 My Post: Nov 30, 2006
Scouting Report: Gonzaga vs Texas BB Rec
BobZag Nov 29, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 25 My Post: Nov 29, 2006
Zags Learn the Hard Way vs Butler BB Rec
BobZag Nov 25, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 5 My Post: Nov 25, 2006
Bulldog Blog - November 15 BB Rec
BobZag Nov 15, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 0 My Post: Nov 15, 2006
CDC's Take: Matt Bouldin BB Rec
BobZag Nov 14, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 0 My Post: Nov 14, 2006
Preview: Preseason NIT - Spokane Region BB Rec
BobZag Nov 11, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 0 My Post: Nov 11, 2006
Men silence Eagles; Women stifle Utes BB Rec
BobZag Nov 11, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 1 My Post: Nov 11, 2006
Q&A: Ross Rettenmier BB Rec
BobZag Oct 7, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 91 My Post: Oct 7, 2006
Zagcruit Corner: Jordan Theodore BB Rec
BobZag Oct 5, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 35 My Post: Oct 5, 2006
Zagcruit Corner: Luke Babbitt BB Rec
BobZag Sep 20, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 12 My Post: Sep 20, 2006
2006 Coaches v Cancer BB Rec
BobZag Aug 23, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 3 My Post: Aug 23, 2006
Elite Poling a Bulldog BB Rec
BobZag Aug 3, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 0 My Post: Aug 3, 2006
Q&A: Katy Ridenour BB Rec
BobZag Jul 24, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 56 My Post: Jul 24, 2006
Q&A: Jami Bjorklund BB Rec
BobZag Jul 3, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 11 My Post: Jul 3, 2006
Pictorial: Adam's Big Night BB Rec
BobZag Jun 29, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 30 My Post: Jun 29, 2006
Daye: Good at Pangos BB Rec
BobZag Jun 7, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 0 My Post: Jun 7, 2006
To Contend, Part 2 BB Rec
BobZag Jun 2, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 0 My Post: Jun 2, 2006
Meet Michelle Elliott BB Rec
BobZag May 16, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 19 My Post: May 16, 2006
Austin Daye: Like Adam? BB Rec
BobZag May 2, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 0 My Post: May 2, 2006
Steven Gray: The Natural BB Rec
BobZag Apr 26, 2006 by BobZag 1 Views: 0 My Post: Apr 26, 2006
See More

Mantua
01-21-2020, 03:14 PM
Your heartfelt testimonial says it all, Pontiff. I've bolded the part about the earlier Scout "content" requirement ... then I did a simple google search using the words Scout.com and BobZag .... the results are linked here. I'm glad the story of "how" Bob wrote has been told. Just think about that ... then take a peek at (i.e. open) the link. BTW the "Views" is inaccurate as Scout itself has undergone various iterations ... but the bottom line is I continue to be amazed and impressed that my friend Bob could write these dozens and dozens of articles (as well as his multiple screenplays and everything else). Periodically I use the following sentiment to express myself ... and in my mind it's never been more true.

"Bob. Da. Man."

https://www.scout.com/User/BobZag/

I hesitated to write anything after reading this perfect tribute to BobZag. Thank you for posting the links. I always wanted to hear more from him. I will miss seeing the Natalie Portman image which came to mean BobZags’ cheering persona.

OZZY
01-21-2020, 04:05 PM
BZ was my favorite poster, and, as many have indicated he encouraged me to participate after I joined the board first as OZZag and then Ozzy. We PM'd many times and I still have most of them, we also ended up corresponding via email as I was particularly interested in potential Zag recruits coming out of my home country Canada.

Whenever I had someone I thought would fit the Zags style I would PM him (and copied ZN of course) and he would pass it on to the Zags staff.

When I indicated that I was thinking of making a trip to Spokane to see the Zags he assured me that a ticket would be found if I made it all the way from Australia.

Thank you for the many posts and tributes that have allowed me to learn what a wonderful person Bob was, someone who inspired so many others

I'm sure you are now contributing greatly to the Zags fan club up in heaven!

tyra
01-21-2020, 05:07 PM
I wonder some public acknowledgement at the next home game would be in order?

surfmonkey89
01-21-2020, 05:27 PM
I was one of the ones who migrated from the Scout boards, and over time I talked to Bob now and then via direct messages. After the new Kennel opened, he told me on several occasions to come visit him when I was at a game, and even though I was a little uncomfortable with meeting someone I didn't really "know", I took him up on it.

I remember on that particular night he was sitting in the wheelchair area by the students entrance, and whatever weirdness I was anticipating was completely unfounded. Bob greeted me like he had known me all his life, and I left that meeting with two distinct memories.

First, it was humbling to see someone who had battled so many obstacles seemingly unfazed by them. Of course he had his share of setbacks and frustrations, but he sure wasn't letting them hold him back.

Second, his mother was a saint.

After the game Bob posted on the board about our meeting, and for some reason felt that I looked like Roy Orbison. We got into a playful disagreement over it, and shortly after that I noticed that my profile tier (or whatever it's called) had changed to "Not Roy Orbison".

I don't post much here anymore, but whenever I'd see my old posts I'd see "Not Roy Orbison" and think of Bob. I'm so glad I never had it changed, because now it will continue to remind me of him, and the night we met.

Godspeed, Bob. You've earned everything you've received, now and always.

CDC84
01-21-2020, 05:36 PM
I wonder some public acknowledgement at the next home game would be in order?

In my book, one of the disabled seats should be engraved with his user name.

The scout.com content demand that GoZags refers to was really excessive. One of our posters helped Bob by writing an incredible article on the great Frank Burgess that I cannot link to anymore since scout.com morphed into 247 Sports. I had to write scouting reports on opponents which were critiqued to no end by fans of GU opponents. "He's 6-5 and a half, not 6 foot 5," etc. It required that I watch games, collect every preseason mag in the book (especially the Blue Ribbon Basketball Yearbook)…..too much for a grown man to handle. And I didn't have the physical limitations that Bob had. Moving to this board has been a wonderful thing....except for my inbox which constantly fills up. S-R can't seem to expand it. Thanks to everyone for all the kind thoughts directed toward me.

CDC84
01-21-2020, 05:40 PM
Second, his mother was a saint.

I will second that. She still is.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
01-21-2020, 05:49 PM
BobZag is the reason I started following and stayed lurking fifteen years ago. Never meet or spoke to him, but he nonetheless has had a real impact on my life through these two boards. Thank you BZ. RIP

+1

After lurking for 4 years, I finally joined the board in 2008. Obviously I didn't anticipate staying this long based on my screen name.

Above all, the reason I visit the board multiple times daily is for inside information. Originally this was BobZag, and his legacy lives on through great insight of other posters on the board he founded.

Thank you CDC for your tribute and to the other posters for their contributions as well.

GrizZAG
01-21-2020, 06:16 PM
His great wit, clever humor and insider knowledge will be greatly missed.

ZagNative
01-21-2020, 07:38 PM
Dangit! I keep looking at this thread title and feeling a sense of loss... Nothing to say, except that I'll miss BobZag forever ...

Jedster
01-21-2020, 08:46 PM
I hesitated to write anything after reading this perfect tribute to BobZag. Thank you for posting the links. I always wanted to hear more from him. I will miss seeing the Natalie Portman image which came to mean BobZags’ cheering persona.

It's been great to see all the tributes for BZ. I remember when I first started reading this board I had never spent time on message boards so it was all new to me. I still chuckle because I had no concept of what an avatar was and when I'd see BobZag's I'd comment, who is the hot gal that posts on this site! Took me awhile to realize it wasn't his (her!) picture but not until it would occasionally change. LOL. Besides the avatar photos, his posts always had such great info, wit and he had a great ability to calm the flames on this site. I too miss not seeing posts from him the past few years. For all those close to him, may your hearts remember all the good times and memories during this time of loss.

Nevada Don
01-21-2020, 09:49 PM
I just heard from our GIAG Moderator.
My deepest sympathies to all of you and the GU Family.
Respectfully,
Don

NontradZag
01-21-2020, 09:50 PM
Nothing more to add. Iíll miss Bobzag...his posts were the ones I looked Forward to the most, and which kept me hooked to the boards. Rest In Peace

zagirl2k
01-21-2020, 09:54 PM
I'm rarely on the Board anymore these days (I'm a little shocked my login still worked!), as I use Twitter to stay connected to Zag news for the most part, but my mom still lurks and passed on the news about BobZag. I can just imagine him and El Voce together enjoying the next few games together. Like many people have said, he was the heart and soul of this board and community in the early days. I was always grateful to find people who were just as crazy about my Zags as I was and we have met so many great people through this community. Being down in the Bay Area it was a little harder to get the recruiting gossip, injury updates and general info in those early 2000 days. I am thankful that Slug and I were able to meet him in person on a trip up to Spokane after connecting through Hondo, El Voce and some of the regulars. Those alumni post game socials down at SMC, SCU and USF were pretty entertaining back in the day. Thanks BZ for building and maintaining this great community. To be continued........

ZagSlug
01-21-2020, 10:12 PM
Sorry to hear about Bob, whenever I saw a thread he started it was required reading. There were times early on when it seemed when half of the threads were BobZag threads.

He helped to develop a strong Zag community, let us have the Foo (still can't remember what we called it before that), and encouraged me to update the game day Bunnies...at least until we had kids taking up our time.

You will be missed.

ZagSlug
01-21-2020, 10:28 PM
https://i.ibb.co/fxHfP6h/Capture.jpg"https://drive.google.com/open?id=1x51dSRGPp3so6UJztxYGyuv_eyujNrqh

MJ777
01-22-2020, 12:56 AM
I only knew him as a name, but his personality shone brightly through his posts. Whenever I have the urge to visit the board, I type Bobzag in the Chrome search engine. RIP Bobzag.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-22-2020, 03:22 AM
RIP BobZag. My condolences to all who knew and loved him as they celebrate his life and mourn their loss.

Birddog
01-22-2020, 06:16 AM
Wasn't Bob the first to mention that GU was in on Biggs McGee?

GoZags
01-22-2020, 06:21 AM
Wasn't Bob the first to mention that GU was in on Biggs McGee?

Good call. Pretty sure that was a BobZag original ....

Zagceo
01-22-2020, 08:08 AM
Thanks Bob ...RIP

ZagsObserver
01-22-2020, 08:45 AM
Enjoy seeing the old timers offer tributes. One name I haven’t seen in ages is Oregonzagnut. He used to run a bracket competition in March. Anyone know if he is still around?

primal23
01-22-2020, 09:57 AM
RIP Bob. You were welcomed home but will be missed here on earth.

SWZag
01-22-2020, 12:02 PM
I wonder if this thread can be pinned / stickied at the top of the forum?

A couple nice reads:
Gonzaga Bulletin: Bulldog fan creates www.zagshoops.com (https://www.gonzagabulletin.com/bulldog-fan-creates-www-zagshoops-com/article_52d1c4d7-e604-5eef-aaa6-f3e3bc9f0728.html)

Facebook: Robert Shill Screenwriting (https://www.facebook.com/pg/robertshillscreenwriting/about/)

Biography:
Robert Shill was born in Spokane, Washington, and raised in Idaho and Washington. His earliest recollections of movies are of his parents waking him up at night to watch the monster movie "Gorgo" and the classic "Moby Dick."

Born into a sports family (his father was a high school football coach) that lived on a lake near Spokane, Robert played football, basketball, wrestled and ran track & field. He learned to swim at age 4 and could water ski by age 5, and earned his SCUBA diving license by age 14. But his love for entertaining movies remained constant, going to all genres as a very young boy, from "Cat Ballou" and "The Professionals" to "Thunderball" and "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken."

When Robert broke his neck in a diving accident and became paralyzed and wheelchair-bound at 14 1/2 years old, he was forced to abandon his physical athletic pursuits and switch to intellectual endeavors. He soon discovered his hunger for the movies could be translated into a BA Degree in Literature from Gonzaga University, where he'd read everything from classic Greek literature to modern American.

Going to every movie he possibly could, Robert slowly began coming up with his own cinematic ideas, and the confidence to write them. He studied scripts by great screenwriters like Lawrence Kasdan and Billy Wilder; he joined screenwriting groups across the country and even became president of the local Romance Writers of America chapter for two years just so he could be around other creative minds.

He won the Slamdance Film Festival Screenplay Contest with a screenplay he co-wrote with Christine DeSmet and Peggy Williams. Robert's screenplays have received glowing coverages (reviews) from Universal Pictures. He has had screenplays optioned.

He wrote a groundbreaking daily comic strip titled "Mulch" that depicted a handicapped gardener with a brown thumb, and sold it himself to newspapers from Salt Lake City, UT, and Topeka, KS, to Casper, WY, and Biloxi, MS, among others.

While Robert's interest in sports remains (he owns season tickets to national power Gonzaga basketball), he has dedicated himself to writing screenplays for feature and short films.

Now he is just as enthused about watching "St. Vincent" as he was when he was a little kid watching "Goldfinger," and writing equally entertaining movies in his own unique style

GUZag08
01-22-2020, 12:57 PM
one word: LEGEND

Jazzgirl_127
01-22-2020, 01:03 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about BobZag. I always enjoyed reading his posts. My deepest condolences to his friends and family.

zagfan1
01-22-2020, 02:22 PM
Sorry to hear about BZ. He will be missed.

Argentum
01-22-2020, 03:05 PM
GUZag08 is exactly right, BobZag is a LEGEND. I don't come here quite as much as I used to, but having started out with the Scout board back in the day, BobZag was always truly first among equals to me in this beautiful Zag-loving community he helped to create. I never met him, but had some awareness of his physical challenges that I picked up over the years on the board; hearing a little more of his story now my admiration is all the greater. There's a lot of negativity on the internet in 2020, but BobZag will remain an inspiration and reminder to me that there's still plenty of good to be found and for us to share as well. Thanks Bob!

JeffyJeff
01-22-2020, 04:50 PM
When I first joined this forum, BZ was one of the small handful of contributors that I always scanned the pages for his responses. BZ was the real deal. I've missed his presence here, and will miss him dearly though I never actually met him. Sincerest condolences to his family.

MTZag03
01-22-2020, 08:09 PM
Rest in peace BZ. You ran your race to the finish. I'll lift you and your family in my prayers tonight.

zagfan24
01-23-2020, 06:18 AM
If you read nearly any internet forum, comment section, etc. they are almost always a cesspool of awfulness. This board is entirely different...the negative stuff may happen on occasion but it is still overwhelmingly a fun, positive place to talk GU hoops with fellow fans. I never had the pleasure to meet Bob, I'm sure I saw him at games as a student, but clearly from reading posts of those who were lucky enough to know him this board at its best can be a reflection of who he was as a person: positive, resilient, and dedicated to Gonzaga basketball in all of its glory.

RIP BobZag.

CarolinaZagFan
01-23-2020, 08:29 AM
Reading this thread broke my heart. RIP Bobzag!

zagray
01-23-2020, 08:49 AM
RIP Bob, prayerís for the family.

Vanzagger
01-23-2020, 11:42 AM
Several years ago I was at the Venetian sports book. I got in a conversation with a fellow WCC fan and within a minute he asked if I knew BobZag.

Zags 99
01-23-2020, 06:47 PM
Rest in Peace BobZag. Condolences to the family and friends.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Nevtelen
01-23-2020, 09:50 PM
I only come here occasionally these days and don't post much anymore, but this news hit me. I can't count the number of posts of his I've read over the years. He touched my life and all our lives a little bit with his wit and humanity. He'll be missed for sure.

Akzag
01-23-2020, 09:56 PM
A large reason that I have enjoyed this and previous boards is the tone of civility set by BobZag and his most excellent team of Admins and Mods.
I don't remember whom to credit with this, but I always tried to visit this board as if it were BobZag's living room.

Thank you, Bob. Rest In Peace.
We shall strive to Be Excellent To Each Other.

( Thank you also, to all who shared their BZ stories )

ClownRoyalZag
01-24-2020, 04:34 PM
I will be sitting in my Brother’s seats at tomorrow’s game vs. Pacific. Please stop by and say hello. Go Zags!

Mike

CDC84
01-24-2020, 04:37 PM
Be careful if ClownRoyalZag offers you a sip of his cola :)

upan8th
01-24-2020, 11:58 PM
The consensus seems to be that BZ, above all, possessed an encompassing sense of humor. Here's what I've gathered about that: A person with a sense of humor:
1. Stays away from irrational persecutions
2. Bears with petty annoyances
3. Deals with everything, good and bad, with a sense of perspective
4. Possesses a clear insight about the intrinsic measure and value of things
5. Accepts fame or regard as pleasing, but transient, notoriety is what you're really looking for -- just kidding.

We never met, never spoke. But I have, through your posts, a measure to hold, and, by them, am holding you here in my heart, BZ.

Zags11
01-25-2020, 01:18 AM
You know bobzag was legendary as Posters who went MIA have returned to offer condolences to BZ.

GlacierZag
01-26-2020, 12:14 AM
RIP BobZag. You will be missed.

229SintoZag
01-26-2020, 06:17 PM
I'm late to this thread but wanted to say thanks to Bob. I met some now lifelong friends through this board back in the days before it was anywhere close to what it is today. Including my former season ticket "K2 "neighbor" ElVoce, Hondo, Angelo, GoZags and many others.

Many strive to leave a legacy that outlives one's own brief lifetime. Bob has done that here and the continued vitality and tenor of this strong community is a lasting and fitting testament to him.

Let's go win a natty for him soon. We may even have a shot as we are no longer "doomed." .......:roll:

lawzag
01-27-2020, 12:22 AM
So sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers go out to Barb and his step-dad. Bob was very good to me during a difficult time in my life. I will miss him, as I'm sure many others will too.

BoZarth
01-27-2020, 08:57 AM
Thank you Bob. So thankful to you for starting all of this.

Peace to your family.

BoZarth

Symi81
01-27-2020, 04:40 PM
Thank you to BobZag, CDC and the other longtime moderators from early 2000s. BobZag will be missed, RIP.

HRZag
01-29-2020, 02:08 PM
Thanks to GoZags, I found this forum many years ago. I quickly became a fan of BobZag and his very clear, honest and sometimes, detailed posts. I had the great pleasure of meeting Bob and seeing him a few other times at games and gained a whole new level of admiration for the man. Thank you Bob for enriching my life. May you rest in peace in the great SkyBox in the sky. Go Zags!

zagcheer78
02-01-2020, 05:08 PM
My prayers for Bob and his family.

CDC84
02-07-2020, 10:17 AM
As you may have seen, several of our forums have been dedicated to BobZag.