PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it...

former1dog
11-13-2007, 08:56 AM
... All the coaching changes at all the other WCC schools in the last several years and it looks to me that our conference is going to have one of its poorest years in recent memories in terms of OCC performance?!?!

We're going to take a serious hit on our RPI this year and I'm just baffled by how some many teams got so bad so relatively quickly.

USF had a decent team a couple years ago, they are going to be awful.
LMU and Pepp.... uuugh
UP, has showed some glimmers, but I don't expect much from them.
Santa Clara lost to a D2 team and look to be pretty weak. :(
USD looks to have a decent season and might be the only team to benefit from a recent coaching change.
St. Mary's, same good coach and another good team.

Rubbadub
11-13-2007, 08:58 AM
... All the coaching changes at all the other WCC schools in the last several years and it looks to me that our conference is going to have one of its poorest years in recent memories in terms of OCC performance?!?!

We're going to take a serious hit on our RPI this year and I'm just baffled by how some many teams got so bad so relatively quickly.

USF had a decent team a couple years ago, they are going to be awful.
LMU and Pepp.... uuugh
UP, has showed some glimmers, but I don't expect much from them.
Santa Clara lost to a D2 team and look to be pretty weak. :(
USD looks to have a decent season and might be the only team to benefit from a recent coaching change.
St. Mary's, same good coach and another good team.

Pepp will probably be decent in a couple years.

rennis
11-13-2007, 09:00 AM
I think I get it. There's a lot of good schools on the west coast competing for recruits. UCLA is a national force again, after a long hiatus. The Pac 10 top to bottom is as good as I've ever seen it. The WAC has good players and good teams every year. The Big Sky is competitive and every team seems to have a shot at making the tourney each year.

On the other hand if you play in the WCC, but not for Gonzaga, you're not going to the NCAA tournament. Ever, it would seem. Who would want to play in the WCC????

Butler Guy
11-13-2007, 09:06 AM
how minuscule their chances of getting to the NCAA tournament is in any given year, selling Malibu, FOR FREE, for four years should be such an easy sell that high-level recruits are literally banging on the doors. Pepperdine is an embarrassment. There is zero justification for a program with such amazing natural resources to be one of the worst teams in the country. Its really just inexplicable. And its not like they've never had success, a decade ago they were actually pretty respectable. Does that administration and fandom just not demand success? I can't imagine how they haven't just fallen into it, if they have the slightest care for the program.

former1dog
11-13-2007, 09:08 AM
how minuscule their chances of getting to the NCAA tournament is in any given year, selling Malibu, FOR FREE, for four years should be such an easy sell that high-level recruits are literally banging on the doors. Pepperdine is an embarrassment. There is zero justification for a program with such amazing natural resources to be one of the worst teams in the country. Its really just inexplicable. And its not like they've never had success, a decade ago they were actually pretty respectable. Does that administration and fandom just not demand success? I can't imagine how they haven't just fallen into it, if they have the slightest care for the program.

Actually, less than a decade ago. Hell, three years ago they had NCAA tourney talent, just a bad coach.

CDC84
11-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Who would want to play in the WCC????

If you're interested in media and television exposure, the WCC is going to give you more of it than the Big Sky or WAC these days.

Rubbadub
11-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Pepp '08 commits:

http://pepperdine.scout.com/a.z?s=210&p=9&cfg=bb&c=8&yr=2008

Those are all quality players.

former1dog
11-13-2007, 09:11 AM
If you're interested in media and television exposure, the WCC is going to give you more of it than the Big Sky or WAC these days.

I'm not buying the WCC can't attract talent argument. We have some great schools and some with great traditions in basketball. USF, LMU, Santa Clara, Pepp have all enjoyed some success on the national level in the relatively recent past.

rennis
11-13-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm not buying the WCC can't attract talent argument. We have some great schools and some with great traditions in basketball. USF, LMU, Santa Clara, Pepp have all enjoyed some success on the national level in the relatively recent past.

5 years ago is ancient history when you are 16. All you know is what's in front of you.

drnoe
11-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Blame it on Ben Howland. He has really turned things around after Lavin ran the program into the ground. Ben is now getting the pick of the litter of west coast recruits. Tim Floyd will continue getting top recruits to play for SC. The PAC-10 is now a national force. Fortunately, GU will be able to keep up. GU's success will help prop up the WCC, and the conference will remain competitive, although not completely from top to bottom. It could be worse...the Big West is going to be brutal this season. Monson has his work cut out for him, but he should get it done within 3-4 years.

BobZag
11-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Patience. These new coaches are working with the previous coach's players. This looks to be a down year after GU and SMC, but WCC fans should see a trend upwards beginning next season and beyond. And a coach who doesn't cut it, he'll be replaced. The Gonzaga Effect.

Ziggy
11-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Ken Pomeroy ( kenpom.com ) has WCC w/ #8 RPI rank and #7 in non con SOS rank. Weren't we #14 last year ? Pomeroy's sats tend to hold true.

former1dog
11-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Ken Pomeroy ( kenpom.com ) has WCC w/ #8 RPI rank and #7 in non con SOS rank. Weren't we #14 last year ? Pomeroy's sats tend to hold true.

Ziggy,

SOS and RPI rank only have meaning after the games have been played. Relatively few games have been played, so those rankings have zero meaning at the present time. In fact, you could say the rankings won't have any meaning until about 2/3's to 3/4's of the way into the season.