PDA

View Full Version : Idaho prediction thread

FuManShoes
11-13-2007, 06:19 AM
I smell another route. Silly me thought the Zags would have trouble with Montana, what with the injury news, the newbies and Montana's experience. Didn't happen.

Idaho has been putting up a ton of points (110 in their last game against Cascade), but the perimeter defense I saw from the Zags on Sunday leads me to believe Idaho won't be draining 12 threes at a 60% clip.

My hope is that the Zags look at that 31% they held Montana to and say, "Damn, we can do even better." I also hope that Micah goes off, as it sounds like he was the guy in preseason that looked best and his offense will be needed. I'd also like to see Sacre take a few shots. He'll have a size advantage to be sure.

Prediction: GU 84, Idaho 62.

MedZag
11-13-2007, 06:40 AM
Doomed.

former1dog
11-13-2007, 07:09 AM
We're doomed!:(

Rubbadub
11-13-2007, 07:12 AM
Is there anyone on their roster that could guard Daye effectively? (or even close)

zagsdan86
11-13-2007, 07:12 AM
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w247/ZagsDan86/Doom.png

77Zag
11-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Zags will hit triple digits --
104 - 73

Jitters are gone -- the hammers come out tonight.

jpwils
11-13-2007, 07:26 AM
This game will be a good opportunity to develop some new low post scoring options...Kuso, Sacre, and Foster.

They can also practice kicking out to the open man.

JAGzag
11-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Is anyone else worried about a possible letdown? I recall the game after Josh's suspension last year in which we won on guts and determination. When the impact of his loss set in, we lost our home court winning streak ... we're doomed!!!!

In all seriousness, we should spank em' silly. :)

ZagNative
11-13-2007, 07:51 AM
FWIW, from SportsNetwork (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cbask/news/AEN4112473.htm):

Considering that Idaho more than doubled the score of its opponent in the opener, it is no surprise that the Vandals produced some astounding individual and team stats. Four of the five starters reached double figures in scoring for the club, led by a 25-point effort from Trevor Morris. Michael Crowell and Darin Nagle posted 17 points apiece, and Brandon Brown posted 11 points. Jordan Brooks finished the tilt with 10 points, nine rebounds and six assists, proof of his versatility. Idaho connected on 66.1 percent of its field goal attempts in the clash, including a 12-of-20 effort from three-point range. Defensively, the club limited Cascade to 30.9 percent shooting efficiency.

JLGutrocks
11-13-2007, 08:07 AM
The line this morning is GU -28.5

WOW. :)

Akzag
11-13-2007, 08:29 AM
I'll take the under - and the W.

tyra
11-13-2007, 08:34 AM
I think the more interesting question is not what are going to see but what would we LIKE to see. I think the Montana game set a real high bar early in the season but here is what I would LIKE to see: same level of defensive intensiveness, same strong individual play, and a tad bit of growth from Sacre on his positioning etc. I suspect Robert could be important to us later on irrespective of what happens to Josh's foot. I just think he needs to be a factor later in the season, not the main guy by any means, but a factor.

rennis
11-13-2007, 08:43 AM
I predict I'm going to be really pissed waiting until 8:00 to watch this game.

jim77
11-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Agreed Tyra.

Tough defense is a great cure for let downs.

Reborn
11-13-2007, 12:11 PM
I don't expect a letdown at all. Not tonight. Not all season long. These Zags are all fighting for playing time and starting roles. If I were on THIS team I certainly would not let up for one second. Expect to see more intensity than we even saw against Montana. Daye and LG are fighting for starting roles and I expect to see more greatness out of them tonight. If I were Bouldin and Downs I'd certainly be putting forth my best effort.

I think Downs has got to show more confidence going to the rim. He missed several layups in the last game. It's nice seeing him attack the rim but he needs to put the ball in it, not bouncing out. I'd like to see him go to the foul line more. I am also looking for Pendo to score more points tonight. I see him in double figures again.

Sacre needs to have a much better performance then he did against Montana. I was pretty disappointed in his lack of discipline on defense. He was really lost out there. IMO Foster did better than Sacre vs Montana.

Idaho will light it up from outside so it'll give us another chance to see LG and Pargo and Pendo double teaming out front as we did against Montana. Look for more full court and half court presses.

Zags by 30, led by Daye with 25 and Pargo 20.

former1dog
11-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Sacre needs to have a much better performance then he did against Montana. I was pretty disappointed in his lack of discipline on defense. He was really lost out there. IMO Foster did better than Sacre vs Montana.

Agreed, although to be fair, Foster has a year in the system already.

USMC69
11-13-2007, 01:06 PM
GU 89
Idaho 64
and that from a former Vandal

roxdoc
11-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Although he did not set the world on fire, I thought Sacre looked and played better than big Will. This was a first game for a freshman for gosh sakes - not averyone is a Daye! I thought the few passes to him were not done too well. At least one of his fouls was really ticky tac - but as someone said earlier he is going to have to learn what a particular ref is calling vs not calling. His hands and coordination are good he just needs to get comfortable with the plays which he will with time.

cggonzaga
11-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Thank you Rox. Kind of sad how kids aren't allowed to grow up anymore. It was his first collegiate game. He probably wasn't going to get a lot of minutes period this season if Josh and Theo were healthy. He just isn't ready to step right in and contribute. The best things he can do is rebound and play tough, hard defense. The offense is a ways off and we don't need him score much anyway.

TRhyno
11-13-2007, 01:34 PM
I think Sacre will be fine and be a positive contributor to the team this year. He will have a better game tonight.

spudzag
11-13-2007, 01:47 PM
The line this morning is GU -28.5

WOW. :)

Sounds about right. Hard for a Vandal to accept, but unfortunately to true. Daye, Downs, Pargo, Bouldin all in double figures.

Idaho's dreams of another 100 point game vanish early as their 1-on-1 style is no match for a team game.

former1dog
11-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Just a note in regards to Sacre, I don't feel my comments are overly critical at all. I am simply making an observation based on viewing one game and that is he seemed a little lost out there.

That is not a comment on his athletic ability or his basketball skills, merely a comment on his grasp of what he is supposed to be doing within the Gonzaga scheme of things.

I have no doubt that he will learn what he needs to learn and I'm excited to see what he can bring to the table once he reaches that point.

dim4sum
11-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Some astonishing stats: Neither Foster or Sacre has missed a shot all season. Think of it--truly amazing. Of course, they haven't taken a shot either but don't begrudge that.
Foster leads Sacre in boards by a lopsided 2-0. Thank you Zag boxscore guy.

rawkmandale
11-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Nice job, Reborn. Good predictions. Among your "almost" predictions, I note that Pendo WOULD have had double figures in scoring (along with the 7 rebounds) had not a teammate charged while Pendo hit a shot in the first half.

You might have mentioned a ton of blocks, but your prediction was solid otherwise.

Wow, this team has SKILLS.