PDA

View Full Version : Missoulian Game Article

Angelo Roncalli
11-12-2007, 09:04 AM
SPOKANE - Brian Qvale was probably on SportsCenter on Sunday evening.

Chances are, he didn't call the folks back in Williston, N.D., to tell them to watch ESPN.

Qvale was on the bottom side of Jeremy Pargo's high-flying one-handed dunk in the second half of No. 14 Gonzaga's 77-54 rout of Montana at the sold-out McCarthey Center. That, as much as anything, was the difference between the Bulldogs, one of the elite programs in the country, and the Griz, one of the elite programs in the Big Sky Conference.
“That guy, I don't know what he weighs, but he is a horse,” Montana coach Wayne Tinkle said of the 6-foot-2, 220-pound junior who burned the Griz for 17 points. “He sets the tone as far as tempo is concerned on both ends. We don't see point guards like that in our league, that's for sure.”

Qvale, who held his own with nine points and four rebounds, said the only time he's seen that caliber of talent was in AAU tournaments.

“I was not suspecting it,” Qvale said of Pargo's highlight reel dunk. “I turned around, saw him in the air and had nothing else to do.”

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/11/12/sports/sports01.txt

hondo46
11-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Here is what starting a game out with great D does for you:

“They had a great game plan,” Tinkle said. “What they did was put so much pressure out on the perimeter that it made it look like we weren't open. When we got it reversed, we got pretty good looks. We just didn't convert. We got some wide-open looks in the first half and didn't make them. That's because of the pressure Gonzaga came out with.”

I think Wayne is right on here and it looks to me that he is doing a very good job at Montana.

LynetteG
11-12-2007, 10:18 AM
loved the props for Daye

"Something else you don't often see in the Big Sky is a true freshman the likes of Austin Daye, a smooth 6-10 forward from Irvine, Calif. Daye had 20 points and 10 rebounds in his collegiate debut.

“He really hurt us, especially when we went zone, which I thought worked,” Tinkle said. “He came into the game and was really hurting us from the high post. He's got the total package. When he matures and gets some size and strength on him, he's going to be a beast.'"

MDABE80
11-12-2007, 10:33 AM
As the season wears on, I suspect it'll be very clear that it's nearly impossible to guard Daye and Downs. Centers and guards are usually guardable but these two wings we have........well....suffice it to say that I've not seen anything like those two on any GU team in the past. Tall, thin, wingspan galore, athletic and great shooters too. Daye's defense will pick up but he's trying hard to guard and help out. He's a young, clumbsy kid on defense. It's true that defense is played with your feet. He'll get better as his coordination improves. Micah's defense is pretty solid already.