View Full Version : cair3 MT game analysis w/ player grades

cair3
11-12-2007, 08:50 AM
following are player grades for the MT game:
please add to and/respond

cair3
11-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Guards Grade A:
Pargo (A-): provided good leadership, exciting plays, solid shooting, and even moved without the ball. 5 rebs and 5 assists were solid contributions to a well played game. Did not dominate the ball and set some screens. Execution on the fast break was almost perfect finding the right man or taking it himself. His few passes that were deflected were a result of him playing . around trying to be excited after we were already ahead. Only weakness was spurts of defense where he would relax, his man would get some space and then drop a three bomb. Matt Martin had 3 threes and led MT with 18.

Bouldin Grade A-. The best thing is he only played 25 minutes and rested that ankle quite a bit in the 2nd half. He finished well, made layups, had good backcuts and got great position sealing his man in the post for an easy layup. He also shot FT well (4-4) and hit a three. 13 pts on 8 shots = nice. His passing was good not great (no assits) as he played mostly away from the ball.

LG A+: defense was phenomenal. I thought few played him a little to much in the second half as he got winded towards the very end and I would have like to have seen a hungry IRA come into the game with about 5 minutes left when LG was showing some fatigue and the game was looking out of reach. Great ball pressure and toughness on rebounds fighting in the key on both ends. He also finished well and his three looked smooth although it went long. He did have 3 TO but combated that with 3 steals, needs to be a better ball handler.

Sorenson & Brown: grades unclear: would have liked to seen more PT out of IRA. Although he may not be playing quite as well as the players above him IRA can bring something to the court.

cair3
11-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Wings Grade A:
Micah B+: used his legnth well, got real high on rebounds, was active on defense, changed shots with his legnth. He played well on both ends however I want more offense out of this shooter. I would like to see him curl more for short jumpers and layups. On one possession he curled beautifully to the hoop and LG gave him a low pass that he couldn't handle. If he had caught it, it would have been a highlight dunk. I also look for him to be more aggressive shooting the ball, he didnt find the rythm on his jumper.

Daye: A+ Love the spark off the bench. His aggressiveness was great and I enjoyed watching him break defenders then lofting shots from all over. 8 for 13 he shot great. I dont think there will be many people on our schedule that will be able to guard this legnthy wing that has quick moves and good footwork. His lack of stregnth wasnt a problem on either side of the Court as he used his legnth to get steals, blocks and rebounds. He was having fun. Intensity could rise but if he shoots this well playing care free then im all for it.

Pendo: B+ he only shot 1-3 and missed a free throw, but was solid everywhere else playing mostly the 4 for us. I would have like to see hiim get sprung to the outside for one of those sweet threes. No tournovers, a steal and an assist plus great intensity and leadership. Defensively he was solid most of the game but didnt challenge well enough when helping from the weakside on layup attempts. If he cant get the block he must get position for a charge. He also go sealed a few times giving up easy layups. However, he did do a solid job on Hasquet and Strait who were a combined 4-18 HAHAHA.

zag67
11-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Pargo - A - great defense, ran the show well, played a solid game

Austin - A+ - 20/10 for the first game plus good vision of the court on both offense and defence

Bouldin - B+ - for haviing a sprained ankle - did all of the little things and I thought that his defense was solid

Micah - B+ - even though his shot was not there, we rebounded well, had some great assists, and played super at the defensive end of the court

Kuso - A- - Did not make the ticky-tac fouls that he sometimes does, did great on the blocks and offensive rebounds. I like his foul shots, they look so much better.

Pendo - B - did a Pendo type game - worked hard and again had to play guys that are 2 to 3 inches taller and bigger.

Sacre - C- - too many quick fouls - I know that he can and will do better in all aspects of the game. But he did hustle and worked hard.

LG - A - I thought that he did GREAT. His defense and intensity increased that of all the players around him. He is fantastic around the basket.

Foster/Ira - No grade - As the year goes on time will tell. As they play more we will know more on them (and I think we will like it)

Team - A - At both ends of the court. I thought the intensity of the defense was fantastic for the first game. Also the vision of finding the open person and feeding them the ball was super.

cggonzaga
11-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Don't agree about Pendo. It was not a "pendo" type game. He's kind of looked lost so far this season. I know he's playing way out of position. Thought he really struggled defensively last night (which isn't his fault having to play down low). While I love the hustle he really has to stop with the stupid fouls. Some "hustle" fouls he picks up are just stupid, not hustle. I don't want him to play any less hard just smarter. He'll pick things up soon I'm sure.

cair3
11-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Coaches: A+
The team was ready to go against a MT team that has some good talent. I think they would finish in the top half of the WCC. Loved the different looks and lineups. Played LG effectively. Got great effort defensively. The different looks defensively, the press man to man and the zone press all helped take them out of a rythm. Also few used his timeout effectively to get the momentum back after MT came out strong in the second half. Easy victory against a good team, got to get ready for TUES.

Kennel Club: B, solid energy for a 1pm start time. Got in the head of a few MT players and made fun of there asst coach that got a DUI at taco bell. Not a bad 1st game. 1st half was real good second half weaker, but we were up by 30.

Regular fans B: good energy from the rest of the crowd, nothing special but quite a few people in red, standing cheering.

Cheerleaders and dancers B+: some good stuff improving, every year they seem to get better, especially the dance team, way better than a few years ago, better outfits too.

Promos B+: I like how there are more promos= more fun

drnoe
11-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Pargo...A- Solid play on both ends...completely in charge of the offense and really set the pace. This was an example of some of the best PG play in a long time. If he keeps this up, the NBA will soon be calling.

Daye...A- I was more impressed with his defense, since I knew what he could do offensively. I wasn't expecting this much defense so early in the season. I really liked the way he often tried to pass first...he was aggressive in creating a shot at the right times. This dude is incredibly long (like Kevin McHale) and will give the opposition fits all year. He's a great perimeter player and will eventually make a huge difference in the paint.

Kuso...B As he improves on finishing inside, he'll be very formidable. I'd like to see him get more aggressive when he has the ball inside. Defense was solid and he didn't get into foul trouble.

Bouldin...B Great effort despite the bad wheel. I'm looking forward to some "A" games.

Downs...B Had an off game shooting-wise, but he'll obviously improve. I'd like to see more aggressiveness in creating a shot. Defense was solid.

Sacre...C- Needs to knock off the silly fouls. I'd like to see how well he does when he's worked into the offense.

Larry G...A+ Just what the doctor ordered for this team...combination of outstanding defense and aggressive board play. Inside, Larry G can finish! He showed flashes of real maturity on the floor.

Pendo...B Solid Pendo game. I'd like to see him pop free for the occasional 3. Needs to work a little smarter on defense.

lothar98zag
11-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Cheerleaders and dancers B+: some good stuff improving, every year they seem to get better, especially the dance team, way better than a few years ago, better outfits too.
what about the band?

jbslicer
11-12-2007, 04:24 PM
I'd give the band an A. They do a nice job.

BobZag
11-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Wings Grade A:
Micah B+: used his legnth well, got real high on rebounds, was active on defense, changed shots with his legnth. He played well on both ends however I want more offense out of this shooter. I would like to see him curl more for short jumpers and layups. On one possession he curled beautifully to the hoop and LG gave him a low pass that he couldn't handle. If he had caught it, it would have been a highlight dunk. I also look for him to be more aggressive shooting the ball, he didnt find the rythm on his jumper.

Daye: A+ Love the spark off the bench. His aggressiveness was great and I enjoyed watching him break defenders then lofting shots from all over. 8 for 13 he shot great. I dont think there will be many people on our schedule that will be able to guard this legnthy wing that has quick moves and good footwork. His lack of stregnth wasnt a problem on either side of the Court as he used his legnth to get steals, blocks and rebounds. He was having fun. Intensity could rise but if he shoots this well playing care free then im all for it.

Pendo: B+ he only shot 1-3 and missed a free throw, but was solid everywhere else playing mostly the 4 for us. I would have like to see hiim get sprung to the outside for one of those sweet threes. No tournovers, a steal and an assist plus great intensity and leadership. Defensively he was solid most of the game but didnt challenge well enough when helping from the weakside on layup attempts. If he cant get the block he must get position for a charge. He also go sealed a few times giving up easy layups. However, he did do a solid job on Hasquet and Strait who were a combined 4-18 HAHAHA.

Well done, cair3. Micah did a lot of the smaller things but I think the only way he earns an A is to fill it up. B+ is as high as he could get vs MT. I might've dropped it to B-.

Pendo did have a bit of an off-night. He did, however, hit a nice trey but an MT player fouled LG a split-second earlier and Pendo's swish was waived off.

I'll give Sacre a pass, as this was his first game and he has the longest way to go anyway.

theothegreat21
11-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Pargo...A he did a great job with every aspect of the game and clearly has the potential to be an All-American

Bouldin...B+ very gutsy and strong performance with that ankle and his jumpshot looked very good

Micah...B Strong defensive effort and did the small things but his shot was off which was quite surprising

Pendo...C I felt like he was kind out of the games flow and style. He took some typical Pendo charges and hustled but did not bring much else

Kuso...B+ Strong performance as he rebounded well and finished strong around the hoop. He really protects the rim quite well

Larry...A+ Cant say enought about the great impact he had on the defensive end. He was truly a game changer and finished strong around the rim

Sacre...D Provided a body in the paint but was truly limited in his impact and really did nothing but foul

Daye...A+ Incredible debut. His offensive game is so advanced for a freshman and he had a very strond performance on the defensive end

Will/Ita...Inc Neither made any impact in their time on the court and it will interesting to see how their roles evolve through the season