PDA

View Full Version : A statement some on this board to hear...

cggonzaga
11-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Pargo had an interview with the Zags Report yesterday and was asked what a great season would be to him: " A great season is winning a National Championship, a good season is making the Final Four." There was much made about us as fans expectations for our Zags from now on during the offseason. I think this just solidifies that winning the WCC or simply making the tournament is not good enough any longer. Yes, those are successful seasons but they aren't the ultimate goal of this program any longer. It makes me even more excited to be a Zag fan!

ZaggyStardust
11-12-2007, 11:08 AM
That interview was on the local "Best Dogonne Zag's Show" on KHQ. They indicated on the show that there was an extended version of the interview on KHQ.com which is just fantastic. Especially Jeremy's comments about his tomahawk dunk against St. Marys (that comment was edited out of the show last night). Definitely worth watching. Just click on the box that says "Getting personal with Pargo"

http://www.khq.com/Global/category.asp?C=105297&nav=menu438_4_1

Zag By the Bay
11-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Easy to say, but much tougher to accomplish....Gotta love the optimism, but going deep (Beyond the Sweet 16) into the NCAA Tourney is really unknown territory for our program. However it would be fun to watch!

cggonzaga
11-12-2007, 12:27 PM
We have been to an elite 8 before ZBB. Not completely unknown. Regardless of that, these are the goals of our program and should be the goals of our fans as well. If they believe, we need to believe.

jhoop
11-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Easy to say, but much tougher to accomplish....Gotta love the optimism, but going deep (Beyond the Sweet 16) into the NCAA Tourney is really unknown territory for our program. However it would be fun to watch!

Bay, were you around when Calvary put back Q's runner in 1999? That play sent the Zags to the final 8. To date, it's arguably the single greatest play in Zag basketball history. Casey was at the Emporia State game. Still looks like a beast.

theothegreat21
11-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Its really great hearing the confidence Pargo has not only in himself but in this whole team. I love the goals that he has set for this season and with him leading the way this team is going to do many special things this season. What a great competitor and player he is

rennis
11-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Bay, were you around when Calvary put back Q's runner in 1999? Casey was at the Emporia State game. Still looks like a beast.

Calvary is around huh? I wonder if he's working out with the team? Probably not, but it would be good for them. The Vanilla Gorilla could learn a few people. :D

D Hark 2003
11-12-2007, 01:39 PM
cggonzaga hit the nail on the head. Final four and National championships should be our goal every year. If George Mason made the final four the zags can win the championship!

rennis
11-12-2007, 02:21 PM
cggonzaga hit the nail on the head. Final four and National championships should be our goal every year.

I'm pretty sure every team has that goal, just about every year. Having that goal and knowing you can do it are two different things, however.

sonuvazag
11-12-2007, 02:50 PM
I hope this year's group goes that far and I really believe they can, but I feel differently about the term, "expectations," because it can snowball into a fan culture that puts too much empahsis on results at the expense of being inclusive toward the players and coaches.

As in, I'm not satisfied with this coach or that player unless I get the result I expect. Afterward, it's we need to get rid of so-and-so because they didn't get us such-and-such result. That's the negative side of expectations. It's already been documented on the board that Coach K and his players do not talk about National Championships. Are we to expect more than Duke?

Few is someone who has dreamed big and accomplished more already than most GU fans from more than 10 years ago realistically hoped. He led the program to its present state without the "benefit" of lofty expectations. I'm of the opinion that the less we expect from him and the program, the easier he and the staff will feel going about their business... and probably the better off the final result will be.

cggonzaga
11-12-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm pretty sure every team has that goal, just about every year. Having that goal and knowing you can do it are two different things, however.

Very realistic goal for this program and this year's team. You'd be fooling yourself to think this coaching staff and these players don't honestly believe they can accomplish these things.

Sonu, very eloquent post even though I disagree with it.

Zag By the Bay
11-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Bay, were you around when Calvary put back Q's runner in 1999? That play sent the Zags to the final 8. To date, it's arguably the single greatest play in Zag basketball history. Casey was at the Emporia State game. Still looks like a beast.

I was actually at the game in Phoenix and I well aware that we have advanced to the Elite 8 bay in 1999.
Guys we are in 2007 now and NONE of the players on the current roster have advanced to past the Sweet 16. Of course it every team's goal to get to the Final Four and win the NCAA Championship.
I am not taking anything away from the program as Gonzaga has dominated the WCC and been one of the top teams in the West Coast for nearly a decade.
All I said was that it is easier to say something than to actually Do it.
Of course it would be awesome to go deep into the tourney, but to expect that we are going to get there is being a bit optimistic.
Personally I think the 2003 squad with Stepp (his senior year) Ronny, Cory V. was our best team. We had a 21-win streak that season and finished a 28-3 record. Unfortunatley we took it on the chin against Nevada in the second round at Key Arena.
I would advise fellow posters in the future that you read a post a couple times before you make ignorant comments like "was I around back in 1999" Gimme a break...

ExtremeJim
11-12-2007, 05:37 PM
I would advise fellow posters in the future that you read a post a couple times before you make ignorant comments like "was I around back in 1999" Gimme a break...

Um...if you meant to say, "...unknown territory for the current roster," you could have said that, instead of the "...unknown territory for the program" you actually used, which appears to be the reason you got the responses you did. I made the same mistake all the others did, when I read it.

TM27
11-12-2007, 05:52 PM

:lmao:

jhoop
11-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Ditto ExtremeJim's response. I'm ingorant on a lot of things ZagbbtBay, but I do know that the "program" has gone past the sweet sixteen. I was just asking a simple question, not trying to put anyone down. I actually thought that perhaps you didn't know the program had made it to the sweet sixteen.

Getting back on topic, I think cggonzaga's post about expectations is the best post on this thread. If they (the players) believe then the fans also need to believe. I'm always reluctant to let my expectations get too high because it's such a let down when the team falls short. I still have a little residual of that rotten taste in my mouth from the UCLA debacle two years ago in the 2nd round. But I'm sure the players felt worse than I. It's time for me to stop worrying about depression and expect that this program can get to the FF and perhaps a championship. It's the unselfish thing for a fan to do. If the team falls short, then the mature thing to do is to thank the guys for their efforts and start looking forward to next year.

Zag By the Bay
11-13-2007, 09:50 AM
I am sorry I wasn't more precise in my description of the program. To be honest, I didn't think I had to be so specific.
To ask me such a silly question "like were you around in 1999" on an adult chat board where most of the posters are Zag Alumni or loyal Zag fans, is an insult.
Just so you know I have followed Zag basketball for 20 years, so I am not your bandwagon fan.

I think the current GU roster has lots of talent and a big upside and I am sure all of us would love to see the Zags go deep into the tourney.
Like I mentioned in my original post, I love the optimism of Pargo, but it easier to say something than to actually do it.
All the best to Zags this season and beyond as it looks like it will be another an exciting year to watch unfold.
Go Zags!

cggonzaga
11-13-2007, 10:22 AM
I love the optimism of Pargo, but it easier to say something than to actually do it.

Nobody is saying it's not. This isn't a U of Portland player saying it however. This a player on what will be a top 10 team at some point this season. It is an attainable and realistic goal which is the point of the thread.

Reborn
11-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Pargo isn't the only Zag saying that....and it ISN'T Pollyannish!!! It's the kind of team we have now. Yes RIGHT NOW!!! This Zag team is not going to take a back seat to anyone. Expect a route tonight.