PDA

View Full Version : No mention of the KC?

JAGzag
11-12-2007, 03:49 AM
For those of us who couldn't attend or watch (due to geographic differences...), there's been no mention of the Kennel Club - with all the recent talk on their decline, how would you rate their performance?

GU32
11-12-2007, 04:08 AM
C-
No new chants and long stretches of almost silence. They did get loud after Pargos dunks, and a few other plays.

jbslicer
11-12-2007, 05:33 AM
I'll give them a solid B.

kjstoph1
11-12-2007, 06:03 AM
For those of us who couldn't attend or watch (due to geographic differences...), there's been no mention of the Kennel Club - with all the recent talk on their decline, how would you rate their performance?

They're no Zzu Cru....

Birddog
11-12-2007, 06:56 AM
Watching on TV I thought maybe they were suffering from a "stress reaction". They won't be up to snuff till someone puts the screws to 'em.

Birddog

gamagin
11-12-2007, 07:34 AM
the KC was owned and apparently operated by the school and the WCC, I would say it looks like it is owned and operated by & for the school and the WCC.

the dance team did a well-executed song and it looks like their ranks have grown since the ES game. they looked like they were having fun, too. I woluld give it the most improved, or MVD (Most valuable distraction) award for the game.

the cheerleading team seems to be still feeling its way. there seemed to be more of them this week. They do less "stuff," or else less stuff I watch, than last year's team.

The guy/gal in the bulldog suit could use a routine, since you asked.

He looks off and on like one of those (many) guys downtown moving around, talking to himself, pointing at nothing in particular and (I guess) disccussing it with his other personality inside his head.

I think the cheerlead squad they needs to get outside themselves and let it fly. Inspire. Maybe apply for a brand routine.

Maybe lift some weights.

the cheerleader gals I remember had some acrobatic skills, but the guys lifting them couldn't hold them off the ground without me worrying about a collapse. So I quit watching.

It wasn't that the cheerleaders were overweight, imo, as much as they were the same size, or not much smaller, than the lifters, judging from the struggle going on.

Or else the lifters were recruited from the chess or debate teams. Or maybe they're just some cool dudes not used to lifting cool babes. That I'd understand. So some practice would be in order.

I'm not sure.

But if it were my daughter being lifted, I'd make her wear a helmet. Maybe a back brace for the guy.

that's about it for now. thanks for asking.

JAGzag
11-12-2007, 07:50 AM
the KC was owned and apparently operated by the school and the WCC, I would say it looks like it is owned and operated by & for the school and the WCC.

Really? I recall a post saying the school owned the rights to the "kennel club" but I thought that was just a trademark thing. When I was there the KC had some pretty damn funny chants about opposing players. Do they still do that (yes, I recall the brokeback chant which seemed pretty funny)? I recall against USF, they had a chant of "rogaine afro" b/c this kid had a substantial part down his hair ... cracked me up and I know it gets in their head.

ExtremeJim
11-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Maybe lift some weights.

Better watch it. Any minute now, 2dim4me will be along, calling John Wooden "Johnnie," and pontificating from his vast athletic experience that only aerobic exercise will prevent the type of injury you fear.

None of the girls should have to wear helmets, provided the guys have run enough laps.

BobZag
11-12-2007, 09:06 AM
1st Half = B+
2nd Half = D

The biggest flaw (not just this year but in past years as well) is how dead the KC is to begin the 2nd half. And sure enough, that's when the team looks its flattest and struggles, often losing large leads. The 2nd Half needs to amped up just as much as tipoff.

zagmantis2001
11-12-2007, 09:46 AM
First half A, second half D. I agree with Bob. At least they stopped yelling "-itch" after the opposing player gets a foul. Some kid in the first row either had frostbite or he painted his hands black. Very disturbing. The blond girl next to him looks like a very nice pleasant person, until the other team shoot a free-throw in front of her. Then she looks like Charlize Theron in "Monster". Very scary.

Other observations which are unimportant but what the heck:

To the the young woman that is the MC for the "games" (the cannon, the half court shot, etc.), I CAN'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING YOU SAY. I don't even know her name because all I hear is a bunch of high pitched noise. Is she speaking a foreign language? We don't know. The guy next to me thinks she is from Lichtenstein.

Wayne Tinkle looks like a Dick Tracy character from a distance--either that or a huge door.

They still haven't fixed the 8th stair going up from section 116. At least five people a game trip on it and almost bite it. Some poor guy walking with a cane almost cracked his head open. I'm still trying to perfect my catch, but I'm old and my reflexes stink.

The cheerleaders are better this year. Not so much "building" going on, but the bulldog looks like he has severe arthritis when he tries to (1) dance and (2) roll around on the ground. Is he the old guy that used to sit in the front row at the Old Kennel with a painted chest?

The band should not play "My Sharona" ever again. It sound terrible and it gives me seizures. What happened to "Vehicle"? I like the tandem bass players-more time to rest before each shred.

brasszag
11-12-2007, 10:01 AM
2 bass players?

Please tell me "Big Bottom" is in the Bulldog Band repertoire.

ZagNative
11-12-2007, 10:32 AM
2 bass players?

Yes, yes, yes! Please do tell! :lmao:

JAGzag
11-12-2007, 11:06 AM

Brasszag, I doubt "kids these days" could appreciate the lyrical genius that is Spinal Tap ... that and I can't see Fr. Spitzer singing:

"The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'
That's what I said
The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand
Or so I have read

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo
I'd like to sink her with my pink torpedo

Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about bum cakes, my girl's got 'em
Big bottom drive me out of my mind
How could I leave this behind?"

:lmao:

SammamiZag
11-12-2007, 11:48 AM
I'd say a C- first half, C+ second half. I was in the KC section during the first half - since I got there a bit late, I stood in 108, one of the corners. That section was asleep as was the other corner. Very little jumping up and down, etc. Granted this is early in the season, the corner sections are always a bit less intense than the others, and most of the KC was probably hung over from Saturday night (I think Charity Ball was this weekend). Whatever the reason, this is an early season KC crowd that I predict will improve over the next game or two and then really bring it at the WSU game... just like last season against UW.

BroncoZAG615
11-12-2007, 12:48 PM
I thought the Kennel was very good in their first real outing. I really thought their was no big difference from my first two years here. The first tenish rows that wait outside are jumping and having a good time and some of the people near the back that just want to watch the game like the rest of the paying customers are doing just that.

The cheerleaders are doing much more leading of the cheers than I remember in previous years...and it seems to be throwing off the cheers a little bit. But, people are still getting the juices flowing and with a few more games under their belt it will be rowdy again. But overall, I thought it was a good performance. Getting 1200 students in sync for 40 minutes is not the easiest thing in the world.

GonzagaGurl08
11-12-2007, 02:35 PM
First half A, second half D. I agree with Bob. At least they stopped yelling "-itch" after the opposing player gets a foul. Some kid in the first row either had frostbite or he painted his hands black. Very disturbing. The blond girl next to him looks like a very nice pleasant person, until the other team shoot a free-throw in front of her. Then she looks like Charlize Theron in "Monster". Very scary.

Other observations which are unimportant but what the heck:

To the the young woman that is the MC for the "games" (the cannon, the half court shot, etc.), I CAN'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING YOU SAY. I don't even know her name because all I hear is a bunch of high pitched noise. Is she speaking a foreign language? We don't know. The guy next to me thinks she is from Lichtenstein.

Wayne Tinkle looks like a Dick Tracy character from a distance--either that or a huge door.

They still haven't fixed the 8th stair going up from section 116. At least five people a game trip on it and almost bite it. Some poor guy walking with a cane almost cracked his head open. I'm still trying to perfect my catch, but I'm old and my reflexes stink.

The cheerleaders are better this year. Not so much "building" going on, but the bulldog looks like he has severe arthritis when he tries to (1) dance and (2) roll around on the ground. Is he the old guy that used to sit in the front row at the Old Kennel with a painted chest?

The band should not play "My Sharona" ever again. It sound terrible and it gives me seizures. What happened to "Vehicle"? I like the tandem bass players-more time to rest before each shred.

We still have Vehicle in the repetoire. Part of the problem is that our trumpet/brass section was really tired yesterday. A lot of Pep Band brass players also play in GU's bands/combos. They had to play the night before at Charity Ball. Vehicle is one that is pretty demanding on the brass section. It was also really hard with such an early start, 1 pm on a Sunday is pretty harsh for college students.
BrassZag, I don't believe that we will be playing Big Bottom.

zagmantis2001
11-12-2007, 02:39 PM
1 p.m. is EARLY for a college student??

Hell, I went to GU and drank like a fish, but I don't recall 1 p.m. being early at all. Times have certainly changed.

GonzagaGurl08
11-12-2007, 02:45 PM
It's not really early. But if people are staying out until 2 am or later, and sleeping in until 11 or 12 on weekends, 1 pm rolls around pretty early.

zagfan07
11-12-2007, 02:55 PM
I used to be up at least 4 hours before the game to "hydrate." Kegs and eggs was a favorite gameday tradition at my house. The Kennel Club pre-parties used to be pretty small for those 1 p.m. starts though. They usually consisted of 20 or so guys and maybe 1 girl sitting around watching football and playing beer pong. It takes a certain type of person to get up early on a Sunday morning and start getting pumped for the game after being out at Jack and Dan's until 2 a.m. the night before. Just another one of the joys of being a college student though.

pbriz
11-12-2007, 03:16 PM
1 p.m. is EARLY for a college student??

Hell, I went to GU and drank like a fish, but I don't recall 1 p.m. being early at all. Times have certainly changed.

I think alot of people forget that its not like we can just show up at 1.... its more like 8 or 9 if you want good seats AFTER staying up late (2-3 is about normal). Also, before too many fingers are pointed at the Kennel Club, remember that we have to sit on a wooden floor for hours every Sunday just to be able to attend the games.

I think these grades will change drastically when the WSU game comes around. From talking to other students, its a similar feeling as the UW game last year :)

Rangerzag
11-12-2007, 03:51 PM
I think alot of people forget that its not like we can just show up at 1.... its more like 8 or 9 if you want good seats AFTER staying up late (2-3 is about normal). Also, before too many fingers are pointed at the Kennel Club, remember that we have to sit on a wooden floor for hours every Sunday just to be able to attend the games.

You are breakin' my heart ;););)

brasszag
11-12-2007, 04:06 PM
BrassZag, I don't believe that we will be playing Big Bottom.

Disappointing. Truly.

:-)

For a short time back in '96 we had 2 basses going near the end of the season, when our regular found out she wouldn't be available for the WCC tournament and while I learned the tunes.

Zagpower
11-12-2007, 06:33 PM
A couple musical suggestions:

1) Don't play Soulja Boy unless you are showing the video of the team dancing on the big screen. The song is too slow to get anyone excited. I saw exactly two girls and one guyin the student section half-dance to it for a couple minutes before getting bored.

2) How about doing something with Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla"? The words could easily be changed to Gonzaga and some of you clever people could easily come up with a GU version. I know the band already plays BOC Fear The Reaper but it seems Godzilla fits better with our occasional huge lineup.:D

GonzagaGurl08
11-12-2007, 08:45 PM
We don't have the power over the music that it is played over the PA system. We are thinking of learning Soulja Boy, as a tune, (it's really easy just 3 notes). I will make the suggestion of having them put the video of the guys dancing while we play it or when it is played on the PA. I don't think we will get it to happen for tomorrow nights game.

Zagguy
11-12-2007, 09:01 PM
In Catholic School we always had a uniform code - and got more than penance when we wore baby blue socks instead of the proscribed navy blues. Looking at the Kennel last night, it wasn't the sea of red it should have been. There were more out of 'uniform' than I ever remember seeing...and that's since the Kennel started plus a few. What's the deal? I know that having a blue/white/whatever color shirt shows more on TV, but is that why you stand in line for hours to get a seat? Suggestion: Have Kennel Club officers stand at the door and boot those who don't think it is cool to wear Kennel Uni's (the nuns would have done worse to us, believe me). Second suggestion: to the girls sitting/chatting/phoning in the aisle directly across the opposing bench...stay home.

pbriz
11-12-2007, 09:36 PM
In Catholic School we always had a uniform code - and got more than penance when we wore baby blue socks instead of the proscribed navy blues. Looking at the Kennel last night, it wasn't the sea of red it should have been. There were more out of 'uniform' than I ever remember seeing...and that's since the Kennel started plus a few. What's the deal? I know that having a blue/white/whatever color shirt shows more on TV, but is that why you stand in line for hours to get a seat? Suggestion: Have Kennel Club officers stand at the door and boot those who don't think it is cool to wear Kennel Uni's (the nuns would have done worse to us, believe me). Second suggestion: to the girls sitting/chatting/phoning in the aisle directly across the opposing bench...stay home.

Amen to booting girls who just sit on the phone. But I have to say that the Kennel Club does a very good job of painting it red night in and night out.

Personally, I have heard a decent amount of bashing on the kennel club and all we have seen is two games so far-one of those being an exhibition. I will stick up for the Kennel Board who has made efforts to bring back the true Gonzaga feel with the new shirts and not putting up with certain chants such as after the "you, you you..... "witch!" That has been suppressed and almost eliminated.

Since the measuring stick has been put on the Kennel Club and there are complaints about not "painting it red" why don't the other 4800 people in the stadium try to follow suit. I have the utmost respect for the Alumni at our school and they have earned the right to wear whatever they please, but if an alumni comes onto this board and complains that the Kennel Club isn't doing their job because we arent "red" enough or not loud enough at this point maybe some people should realize that the Kennel Club is a sea of red in the midst of a mass of multicolor and that the Kennel Club is ten times louder than the rest of the stadium with 1/5 of the people. Us "kids" have the same passion for our basketball team as our alumni and I will personally make sure that we bring it every game but I would like to kindly suggest that everyone else makes sure they bring it too. So go on, have another round in the Herak Club and we will have another round at the pre-kennel parties and we will make it loud and paint the Kennel red-both students and alums.

a13coach
11-13-2007, 08:47 AM

Just a point of contention, a student does not have to belong to the Kennel Club to get a student ticket to the game and no part of the student section is reserved for Kennel Club members. They are just organized and get there early enough to reach the better seats first. So Kennel Club officers cannot boot any student for not wearing the color du'jour.

El Voce
11-13-2007, 10:01 AM
As an old fart alum, I find all the ragging of the Kennel Club by other old fart alums to be a little spooky.

People on this board love to pass out grades, be it to players or students. Next, I guess, we will be passing out grades to each individual seating section. Cheering at the games will always pretty much take care of itself. If the team goes on a big winning streak, the crowds will be more boisterous. If we are behind late in a game, the crowd will do its best to will the team to victory. Human nature being what it is, everyone likes a winner.

I was present in the old Kennel for every single game during the KC beginning years. I guarantee you, things are better now -- the good old days weren't that great. While the original KC was enthusiastic and witty, the KC entailed about 10 percent of the student section. The other 90 perecnt sat during the games. A lot games, the student section wasn't even filled.

I'm just a guy who goes to the games, and roots hard for my beloved Zags, and I don't try to critique the team or the fans. Enough with the grades already! We have a truly competent coaching staff to break down the film and hand out the grades. The rest of us should just chill and enjoy.

zagfan07
11-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Well said El Voce! Everyone will always think the club was better during their years, as well they should. Selective memory plays a large part in that. Based on the article about the Cameron Crazies that was posted on this board and the comparisons made to the Kennel Club, I think the students are doing just fine. It always starts out like this every year because of the competition GU plays at the beginning of the season. Just wait for the Wazzu game. I'm expecting the students to blow the roof off the place, much like the UW game last year. Keep up the good work guys!