PDA

View Full Version : Husky/Zags Billboard gets a P.I. mention

98102Zag
11-11-2007, 09:30 PM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cbasketball/339239_billboard12.html

JLGutrocks
11-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Mentioned b4 (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=6649)

MDABE80
11-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Might be time to be lower profile on this theme. If Romar/AD Turner doesn't want it, they don't want it. I suppose there comes a time when it begins to make us look a bit simple. Sure..we'd like to have the game but I have some doubt this is the proper way to go about getting the series restored. I think to reopen an obvious wound will lead to a scar...thick, hardened and unyeilding. ( medical analogy). Just one man's opinion. Let's just go have a great season. Thing's will work out.;)

SintoZag
11-12-2007, 04:48 AM
Anyone have a picture of the billboard?

229SintoZag
11-12-2007, 09:36 AM
This makes Gonzaga look bush league.

The reality, this year, is that this is a blessing in disguise, as UW is projected to finish no better than 8th in the Pac 10.

While I did enjoy the annual beatdowns, I am not sure we can take the RPI hit from playing a UW team that will struggle to finish .500 and will be further worn down by an extraordinarily weak non conference schedule. UW has a better shot at finishing last in the Pac 10 than they have of finishing in the top 4.

WSU does for us what UW should have done for us if UW lived up to its hype. Pac 10 game, in-state, rivalry game, against a top 10 caliber opponent.

But putting up the billboard makes us look desperate. It is beneath the dignity of Gonzaga basketball, and it gives undeserved status to a UW program that failed to even make the NIT last year. Let UW play the likes of New Jersey Institute of Technology. Meanwhile, we have Tennessee, Memphis, and UConn to worry about.

LynetteG
11-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Gonzaga is not responsible for the billboard. I think it said brought to you by Spokane Basketball something... I'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow when I am in town.

lothar98zag
11-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Anyone have a picture of the billboard?
+1

jhoop
11-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Anyone who can afford to shell out the coin for a billboard like this is probably a big financial supporter of the program. Roth says he'd like to ask those responsible to remove it. That may be a sticky wicket.

I'm on my way over to Hamilton Street to take a look at it. If the hook comes out of J&D's before I can return home, so be it. I kinda feel like FOX News when they denounce graphic sex as they show all kinds of it during their reports. I probably would vote no on the billboard idea but I can't wait to get over and see it. :D

NorthWestZag
11-12-2007, 03:17 PM
I have seen the billboard on Hamilton. I got a laugh out of it at first (thinking the school put it on as a joke), but now I also think it is a little bush league.

EVERYONE knows UW was sick of losing to us and backed out of the series. UW looks bad out of this whole thing, not us. Let's keep our reputation good (which has taken a hit over the last few years with KennelGate and HeytveltGate) and take the billboards down. Who ever is paying for these things should use the money to donate to GU Athletics, or even better the general scholarship fund.

Symi81
11-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Initially I thought it was funny, but upon further reflection I've come to the conclusion it's rather bush-league. I agree that as it gives an average UW-program too much credit while making GU look childish and desperate at the same time. We should be above that. I hope Roth contacts the responsible party....

LynetteG
11-12-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm on my way over to Hamilton Street to take a look at it. If the hook comes out of J&D's before I can return home, so be it.

oops, looks like the hook came out! :) i'll try to shoot a shot of it tomorrow. should have it online in the mid-afternoon.

Birddog
11-13-2007, 06:18 AM
JHoops has unlimited access to the Archives at Jack and Dans. It's difficult (well damn near impossible) for him to "stay on point" when he smells those musty old books. Scholarly research must be done.

Birddog

LynetteG
11-13-2007, 03:00 PM
ad is sponsored by Better Basketball in Eastern Washington Committee(whomever they are!)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/lynettelk/ChickenBB.jpg

ZagNative
11-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks Lynette! Glad you were able to avoid the slippery slope to Jack & Dan's!

That's a cute sign, really.

lothar98zag
11-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the pix!

the bulldog looks a lil drunk...

GonzagaGurl08
12-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Hate to beat this into the ground. I was going to post a picture, but Lynette got a much better one. I used my cell phone.