PDA

View Full Version : And its only going to improve!

HillBillyZag
11-11-2007, 04:55 PM
I can only echo the acclaim of other posters for this team.In my mind the two biggest surprises for Montana had to be the improved defense and Austin Dayes coming out party. For the most part the Griz had to work for everything they were able to get. There were a few times someone lost the shooter and on several occaisions a cutter got through clean,but on the whole they worked harder on defense then any Zag team in the last several years. As for Daye, what can one say?, this is arguably the most talented offensive player as a freshman that has ever worn a Zag jersey. I jumped off the couch with that first left handed tip in by Downs and was screaming from then on. Jeremy, Matt, and Micah, all looked good going to the hole, Kuso was a MAN, Big Rob had his moments and Will had that deer in the headlights look at times. But all in all it was a well played and enjoyable opener. They will all improve and by the Conference opener, I don't think there is a team in the WCC that can stay with GU for forty minutes.

Zag79
11-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Speaking of Foster, he looks like he has grown into his body finally. his control was a lot better and i look forward to him getting minutes.

theothegreat21
11-11-2007, 06:51 PM
I agree with the acclaim that this team is getting and is beyond deserved. However I did not see any control or anything positive from Will today. He was continually caught out of position on defense and his hands continue to be awful. I thought and continue to believe that the redshirt was the best thing for him, as I dont feel that he can contribut to the team with the way he is playing

Zagaholic
11-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Will played today because without Heytvelt and without Theo Davis the team is awfully small in the post positions with Kuso and Pendo starting there. Sacre is a freshman and picked up three quick fouls in the first half (I believe only 10 minutes into the first half at that). Kuso had a tendency last year to pick up fouls though he did well today. Just having a 7'4 player out on the floor for a few minutes is enough to help out the team. He affects the other team in ways that don't show up on the box score. I would like to see Will stick his arm in the air when his man shoots the ball though. He seemed more intent on running out towards the shooter than actually trying to disrupt his shot by doing a simple action such as raising his arm.

JLGutrocks
11-11-2007, 10:27 PM
What is the NCAA regutlation on minutes played in the first 7 games in-so-far-as whether or not you can redshirt.

Will did a fine job and in 2 years will be competing for best center in the US. Now, not, but making his teamates proud by playing his heart out in the minutes needed to get us through this injury situation.

JL

MBZags
11-11-2007, 10:32 PM
For me, the penetration defense was suspect at times. I know of a couple times in the first half where a Montana player drove right by a Zag and people were either late in helping or didn't help at all.

Overall though, the defensive effort was awesome, and the team really proved that they're worth their ranking today.

Birddog
11-12-2007, 04:53 AM
JLGutrocks It's covered here.
http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=6672
Birddog

mgadfly
11-12-2007, 07:58 AM
I agree with the acclaim that this team is getting and is beyond deserved. However I did not see any control or anything positive from Will today. He was continually caught out of position on defense and his hands continue to be awful. I thought and continue to believe that the redshirt was the best thing for him, as I dont feel that he can contribut to the team with the way he is playing

Except for one rebound where Will should have controlled it but didn't, and Montana was whistled for a foul, I thought Will's hands were great (as they usually are). I've been watching him for a long time now since I try to catch as many White River games as I can even when they are bad (which isn't often) and no one has asked me to scout them.

As a junior, when Will first committed, I thought it was a mistake because he had such control problems around the hoop. It was so frustrating because he could catch and run so well. He'd run with the team, sprint down the middle of the court, they'd throw him a tough pass and he'd gather it in only to miss the two-footer, grab a rebound, miss a two-footer, grab a rebound, and miss another two-footer.

He improved a lot his senior year but he has always had good hands for a big man (not Batista or Violette hands, but still pretty good).

In yesterday's game it was encouraging to see Daye and others attempting to get him the ball. You can tell they like him and they want to get him involved in the offense. The problem is that none of those passes were catchable. Will was doubled on one of the entry passes from the wing and did a good job just getting a hand on the poorly positioned and ill-advised pass. Daye's attempt shouldn't have happened either because Daye's own man was sagging to prevent the entry pass and he attempted to throw a bullet pass from the high post to the low post through a defender and at Will's knees.

On defense Will changed a few shots but was caught out of position when he went for a block on a help situation and once again when he was sagging in the middle of the key and his man hit a jumper from the freethrow line (and I agree with the post about Will actually raising his hand instead of just running at his defender). The second one was frustrating, but if you are 7'4" tall you should be sliding over and attempting to get some help blocks. It is too bad that he didn't actually block it, but whenever any one ends up in the key, I say let him take a swipe at the shot, even if it leaves him out of position for a rebound (I'd just rather have the other team knowing he'll challenge shots).

I agree that the redshirt would have been best for him, but I disagree that he was continually caught out of position and demonstrated poor hands.

HillBillyZag
11-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Excellent comments. I too, wish that he could have kept the redshirt but with Heytvelt going down again,there was little choice. Will is the kind of kid that will make the best of it and learn on the job, which will be tough at times. If he concentrates on doing the job Coach Few assigns him right now and keeps hitting the weights and working hard in practice, by seasons end we will see marked improvement and then next year "look out".