PDA

View Full Version : Am I carzy to think that Austin

ZagManFan
11-11-2007, 03:56 PM
will lead this team in scoring this year? I know it is only Montana and the first game of the year, but Montana had no answer for him. It looked like he was playing with them at times. He even posted up Andrew Straight who is one of the better players in the Big Sky this year and scored with ease.

He also had 27 minutes which was second on the team to Pargo. How long before he gets the start? Will Pendo give up his spot or will Few keep him coming off the becnh? What impact will Josh's return mean to Austin's minutes?

Looking at the stats for the game it appears it was a pretty clear 7 man rotation with 7 players with 19 or more minutes. Who's minutes get cut when Josh does come back?

theothegreat21
11-11-2007, 04:16 PM
I agree that there is a very real possibility he will be our leading scorer and one of our best players all season, but I love having him come off the bench for instant offense and energy. I think its a perfect role for Daye to be our 6th/7th man along with LG this season to bring both instant offense and defense from the combo. Daye is just a special talent who we will all have a great timne watching throughout his career

BroncoZAG615
11-11-2007, 04:22 PM
I don't see Austin's minutes suffering with the return of Josh just because how versatile he really is. He can be a shooting guard and there are even lineups where he is an effective big man. I am curious to see how his scoring is affected as the schedule gets more demanding and the physicalilty of college basketball really takes its toll. I think he could withstand it because he doesn't get banged around too much. He is so long that he can defend with his arms and rarely has to use his body.

Obviously the sky is the limit for him as well as this team, I just pray the injury bug stays as far away as possible.

lawzag
11-11-2007, 04:44 PM
He's looked superb in both the E. state exhibition game & today's game. He brings lots of youthful exhuberance to the floor the minute he comes in. In addition to his tremendous offensive talent, he's not afraid to really go after his man on defense & swat at the ball for steals or blocks.

I was a bit of a non-believer before the season started, just because he is so D*** skinny. But today, he really stood his ground, was not pushed around as much as I thought he would be and obviously because of his offensive talent was able to create space for himself to make the shots. In addition, he made several nice dishes to other players. Like Ammo, he is certainly not afraid to take a shot from anywhere on the floor, but unlike Ammo he can truly contribute strongly to the team's DEFENSE. I gotta admit, I was impressed.:)

Zag79
11-11-2007, 05:03 PM
i dont see daye losing PT to anyone if he continues to do what hes done so far. just thinking about having Josh in the lineup with these guys makes my head spin with excitement.

TheBunnieRancher
11-11-2007, 06:32 PM
I think the announcer's made a valid point on tonights TV broadcast that Montana had no way of knowing what to expect of Austin with no game film to scout him. It will be interesting to see how teams adapt to him and he adapts to them in the weeks ahead. But, this much is obvious, he intends to be one of the teams primary offensive weapons this year. I think his playing time will be determined by how well he stays within the team concept because his skills are as goods as anybody GU will run out on the floor.

cggonzaga
11-11-2007, 06:37 PM
I don't think he'll lead the team in scoring this season but he will in more than a few games. We'll have to wait to see how consistent he is and how well he plays on the road. He is a dynamic scorer. He's different than Morrison in that he can create his own shot off the dribble which is amazing for a 6'10" kid. He looked like a poor man's Kevin Durant today though.

MedZag
11-11-2007, 06:44 PM
You guys have to remember he's a freshman. I can guarantee you he will have one problem, and that will be consistency. It's what every freshman deals with all across the country (even Durant had his bad days last year).

So don't go expecting 20 and 10 from him every night. That being said, I say you can definitely expect him to go for 20 and 10 a couple times :)

FuManShoes
11-11-2007, 07:08 PM
No mention of Downs on this thread. Don't sell him short just yet. He had a pretty pedestrian game, but will be heard from.